PDA

View Full Version : Did I waiste my money??

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Wormy!
09-18-03, 06:37 AM
I hhave only four weeks ago upgraded from a GeForce3 Ti500 to a GeForce Fx5900 (ASUS)...

Here's the $64K question : Have I waisted my money?

Viral
09-18-03, 06:39 AM
Yes.

silence
09-18-03, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Viral
Yes.

affirmative.....

Wormy!
09-18-03, 06:42 AM
I've read a lot from a heap of folks on the forum... some love the card, some 'hate' the card...

Why? It appears to be delivering a better performance than my Ti500 did?

silence
09-18-03, 06:48 AM
offcourse it's faster then GF3, whole problem is in its dx9 features, or more accuratly, lack of dx9 on card that is sold as dx9 capable card.

all recent benchmarks show that ATi cards are much better in dx9 and Nvidia's PR department is so busy writing BS lately that they managed to piss even the most loyal NV fans....

your card is nice upgrade....and will run much better....but it is NOT the best thing on market.....that's ATi

arioch21
09-18-03, 06:51 AM
sure its better then your ti500, but for the money, you couldve had a better card well worth that money and wouldve lasted you longer.

Pafet
09-18-03, 06:54 AM
You bought a 200$ card for 500$

but if you use it during the winter for heating, you can minimize your loses :o

Wormy!
09-18-03, 06:55 AM
Hmm... ok... which ATI is 'king of the heap' at the mo?

saturnotaku
09-18-03, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by Wormy!
Hmm... ok... which ATI is 'king of the heap' at the mo?

Top performing card is the Radeon 9800 Pro, best bang for the buck is the Radeon 9800 non-pro.

Wormy!
09-18-03, 06:56 AM
I should ad that I purchased this card predominantly for use with Microsoft FS COF flight sim...

Guess what... it uses DX9x

Behemoth
09-18-03, 07:00 AM
it depends, if you dont need dx9 features and are not going to upgrade for dx9 games, you only wasted some of it. ;)

saturnotaku
09-18-03, 07:01 AM
Guess what... it uses DX9x

Well, it requires that DirectX9 be installed on your machine. It doesn't necessarily mean it uses any DirectX9 advanced graphics features (programmable shaders, etc). DirectX9 isn't completely about improving graphics, there are improvements to DirectMusic, DirectPlay, DirectInput, etc.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City requires that DX9 be installed, but it doesn't use any advanced graphics features at all. :)

mrsabidji
09-18-03, 07:06 AM
Yeah, it's basically the difference between "Dx9 compatible" and "Dx9 compliant". 5900s are 100% Dx9 compatible but not fully Dx9 compliant.

mrsabidji

Jeffus
09-18-03, 07:07 AM
Well, being a Nvidia FX5900 Ultra owner, I'd say I'm happy with it now I've resolved some issues around the flickering etc... 45.33 drivers fixed my problems.

I'm concerned about the DX9 problem, but know that this is about to be fixed.. but it's looking like a major FIX including Driver & BIOS.... something to do with pipeline code or somat.. I'm sure that Nvidia will rise once again and those BIASed ATI owners will then crawl back into their little holes and live out their pretentious existences once again........ ALL this crap over one little games called HL2!!! PLEASE!!!

Being an hardened gamer I firmly believe in Nvidia, I recently upgraded from Ti4800 to my FX5900U and I can honestly say (apart from some hickups:o ) I'm totally happy with the performance...... things will get better, I know that for sure.

ATI had some major issues a few years back, it seem now the shoe is on the other foot... but then we didn't want to leave them out eh??:angel: Come on, bring it on..... every dog has it's DAY!

Wormy!
09-18-03, 07:14 AM
So nVidia are planning a 'fix' for the Dx9 problemo?

mrsabidji
09-18-03, 07:16 AM
They are. It's called nv40. ;)

mrsabidji

Jeffus
09-18-03, 07:26 AM
There's been sooooooo many posts about regarding NV35 DX9 compliancy... FX5900s are DX9 compliant..... it's just that Nvidia decided to go down a slightly different path with core pipeline code...

There will be new drivers/BIOS out soon that will put things right (NO cheats either!!!!)... Cheifly to sort out the HL2 issues!!

Much of the crap knocking around was blown out of ALL perportions and yes I'm talking about those little creatures called 'Radeonites'.... spreading bullsh@t!

THere are loads of DX9 games coming out which are being made with Nvidia 'The way it meant to be played' partners and these are looking sweet......... seems there's some issues with certain ATI people in VALVE trying to cause some issues!! Trust me, this problem is only temporary.

NO, you will not need to wait for NV38/40.... just a few weeks whilst code is being rewritten etc....... I know what I'm saying, I know what I've seen!!

NKVD2
09-18-03, 07:26 AM
hopefully you will be able to trade in FX 5900 for NV40...otherwise, you wasted a lot of money....

and NO, there is no fix for DX9 problem - it has to do with architecture of the card.....

phial
09-18-03, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Jeffus
Well, being a Nvidia FX5900 Ultra owner, I'd say I'm happy with it now I've resolved some issues around the flickering etc... 45.33 drivers fixed my problems.

I'm concerned about the DX9 problem, but know that this is about to be fixed.. but it's looking like a major FIX including Driver & BIOS.... something to do with pipeline code or somat.. I'm sure that Nvidia will rise once again and those BIASed ATI owners will then crawl back into their little holes and live out their pretentious existences once again........ ALL this crap over one little games called HL2!!! PLEASE!!!

Being an hardened gamer I firmly believe in Nvidia, I recently upgraded from Ti4800 to my FX5900U and I can honestly say (apart from some hickups:o ) I'm totally happy with the performance...... things will get better, I know that for sure.

ATI had some major issues a few years back, it seem now the shoe is on the other foot... but then we didn't want to leave them out eh??:angel: Come on, bring it on..... every dog has it's DAY!

yeah you keep tellin yourself that

Templar
09-18-03, 07:29 AM
I hhave only four weeks ago upgraded from a GeForce3 Ti500 to a GeForce Fx5900 (ASUS)...

Here's the $64K question : Have I waisted my money?

Yes you wasted your money

phial
09-18-03, 07:29 AM
i have to add that these are vidoe card companies, not baseball teams. so lose the brand loyalty cause your being ripped off so obviously

Wormy!
09-18-03, 07:31 AM
There's been sooooooo many posts about regarding NV35 DX9 compliancy... FX5900s are DX9 compliant..... it's just that Nvidia decided to go down a slightly different path with core pipeline code...

There will be new drivers/BIOS out soon that will put things right (NO cheats either!!!!)... Cheifly to sort out the HL2 issues!!

Much of the crap knocking around was blown out of ALL perportions and yes I'm talking about those little creatures called 'Radeonites'.... spreading bullsh@t!

THere are loads of DX9 games coming out which are being made with Nvidia 'The way it meant to be played' partners and these are looking sweet......... seems there's some issues with certain ATI people in VALVE trying to cause some issues!! Trust me, this problem is only temporary.

NO, you will not need to wait for NV38/40.... just a few weeks whilst code is being rewritten etc....... I know what I'm saying, I know what I've seen!!

Ok... I'll have faith... I'll hang in there ;)

mrsabidji
09-18-03, 07:38 AM

Pssst... I have a 5900 too. I love my card too, but I obviously can't deny there are problems with Dx9 and the nv3xs. That doesn't make it a piece of crap like many say, but still, sayin it's fully Dx9 compliant isn't true.

mrsabidji

Jeffus
09-18-03, 07:51 AM
I don't keep telling myself anything, I have friends who work for EIDOS and EA and their next gen games are looking sweet using Nvidia cards as their main platform for develpment.... they have no issues at ALL seems odd that it only VALVE that have issues?? Being as they are using ATI as their main test bed???? isn't it? Why haven't other game developers joined VALVES stance on the DX9 issues????

I'm NOT going to get into a war (Nvidia v ATI), I just think that too much ****e is being thrown around confusing many normal (nothing intended) gamers.... I would just wait and see, you wouldn't want to go out and buy an ATI card to find you've made a BAD mistake in a few months time eh?? :afro:

Once again! NV35 is DX9 compliant.... Yes, I agree Nvidia did try to go down a different path (for some unknown reason :confused: ), but be rest assured those people doubting this will soon see the LIGHT..

goofer456
09-18-03, 07:59 AM

You should get out some more to become more in line with reality:eek: