PDA

View Full Version : A Trip to Valve

Vash
09-18-03, 09:52 AM
Spitcodfry on the Half-Life 2.net forums managed to get himself a short tour of Valve yesterday, and he's posted his story and all his pictures here (http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7852&perpage=15&pagenumber=1).

Hands down, Valve has got to be the friendliest game developer out there. Spitcodfry basically decided one day to hunt down Valve's HQ and posted a story about it on HL2.net - one of the guys there suggested that he try and get in with some pizza for everyone or a cake or something, but someone emailed Gabe and asked about it, and Gabe said, "Sure!" Something completely random with no justification like this is what makes Valve a really high class developer. The pics are nice; there are some concept art and pics of the offices. Very cool.

sytaylor
09-18-03, 10:29 AM
In a word "WOW".. valve knew exactly what they were doing, kept him at arms length enough to not give anything away, but let him see enough to be stoked.

I like the sound of Gabe's confidence regarding the 30th :cool:

digitalwanderer
09-18-03, 10:37 AM
Man, is Gabe Newell a geek's geek or what! I LOVE HIM!!!!!! :dance:

I am BUYING this game the first possible day I can, Valve has earned my money!

The Baron
09-18-03, 10:41 AM
Do I buy Halo and HL2 and risk my GPA or save my money for a better stereo in my car... decisions....

wait, that's not a decision--Halo and HL2 :D

(BTW, I might try to make a trip to Epic in the coming weeks. have to go to that part of the state anyway, so I don't think it'd be too hard to get to Epic)

saturnotaku
09-18-03, 03:29 PM
One trip to EB is all it takes. Both Halo and HL2 are on my preorder receipt...and the wait continues...:drooling:

Vash
09-18-03, 04:13 PM
Baaah! GPA...who needs it? Back in the day, we sat around our 10BaseT networks and played Half-Life and Starcraft. None of this "sequel" business! And our GPAs were measure with roman numerals. And we liked it!

Seriously, Baron, I don't think you'll be able to resist. Just cave, man, and learn to cope like every other college-aged gamer. :D

Edit: Yup, couldn't resist, even moments after saying that you might!

sytaylor
09-18-03, 04:36 PM
yup... i bought it today on the strength of the way they showed the guy around the office.. just built my hype up 1000 times seeing how they allowed this kid so deep, so close and yet so far..

then theres soul calibur 2, 4 days earlier.. two AAA grade titles in the same month, this is truley rare.