PDA

View Full Version : TW2004: major nvidia DX9 issues


wonderboy905
09-18-03, 09:43 AM
It's my first post to this forum in a while (had to create a new account even) but I thought this was interesting and worth sharing. This is coming from one of the lead testers for EA's Tiger Woods 2004 in regards to a question I posed to him about the games DX9 performance since TW2004 is a fairly major DX9 title coming to stores soon:

Now that I have the retail version (ships to the public on 9/22), I can share what I found out during testing.

I am in possession of final code and the 9800 Pro 128 MB card with P4 2.8 "C"/1 GB DDR Dual Channel, is running the game at 1280x1024x32 with all rendering and texture detail at Maximum at 90-150 fps on my "benchmark course" TPC Scottsdale. If anything, the 9800 Pro is running TW2004 better than I ever expected it to.

If the performance of the 5900 U is the same as the last beta I had (I no longer have a 5900 Ultra, so I make a disclaimer), then the 9800 Pro is running TW2004 at an average of almost double the fps as the 5900 Ultra all settings and resolution being equal. On TPC Scottsdale, the 5900 U averaged 58 fps at the teebox with a closeup of the Golfer in the last beta build. With the 9800 Pro on my rig using Catalyst 3.8 Betas, it is averaging 95 fps at the teebox using FRAPS 2.0.

This is simply what I have observed during my testing when I had both cards. I no longer have the 5900 U as I have settled on an ATI product for the first time in my life. I would be interested to hear what kind of performance others who have 5900 U's are getting with similar specs.

The Baron
09-18-03, 09:45 AM
BBEA (our resident EA guy) has said exactly the same thing, basically. Now, any idea whether or not shaders are checking device_ids like they were rumored to with TW2003?

psst... "With the 9800 Pro on my rig using Catalyst 3.8 Betas, it is averaging 95 fps at the teebox using FRAPS 2.0. " want to tell us what the special features are? :P

wonderboy905
09-18-03, 09:58 AM
That was BBEA making that comment in a different community, I didn't know he came around these forums, sorry about that :)

digitalwanderer
09-18-03, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by wonderboy905
That was BBEA making that comment in a different community, I didn't know he came around these forums, sorry about that :)
So BBEA has the cat 3.8s..... :eek2: ;)

saturnotaku
09-18-03, 10:55 AM
I have to say I'm pretty psyched about this game. I hope they release the demo soon.

DivotMaker
09-18-03, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by The Baron
psst... "With the 9800 Pro on my rig using Catalyst 3.8 Betas, it is averaging 95 fps at the teebox using FRAPS 2.0. " want to tell us what the special features are? :P

psst... NO!...Terry would um...err...it is too painful to mention....

SmuvMoney
09-18-03, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by BigBerthaEA
psst... NO!...Terry would um...err...it is too painful to mention....

CM would do something so horrible that you'd be forced to change your real first name to Bertha? Gotcha... :p Those are some harsh NDAs dude. ;)

DivotMaker
09-18-03, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by SmuvMoney
Those are some harsh NDAs dude. ;)

Exactly why my lips are sealed....I like them where they and other body parts are now...LOL. I am allowed to reveal that the Catalyst 3.8 betas are the finest drivers I have used for ANY graphics card. I have yet to find a single issue in ANY game that I play.

saturnotaku
09-18-03, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by BigBerthaEA
I am allowed to reveal that the Catalyst 3.8 betas are the finest drivers I have used for ANY graphics card. I have yet to find a single issue in ANY game that I play.

Oh see now that hurts us...on the inside. :p

Kombatant
09-18-03, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by BigBerthaEA
Exactly why my lips are sealed....I like them where they and other body parts are now...LOL. I am allowed to reveal that the Catalyst 3.8 betas are the finest drivers I have used for ANY graphics card. I have yet to find a single issue in ANY game that I play.

That COULD mean that you're a louzy beta tester that can't find a single bug you know... :p :angel: