PDA

View Full Version : Anyone playing Homeworld 2 yet??

Riptide
09-18-03, 11:23 AM
My copy should (crossing fingers) be here Friday. Unfortunately, this weekend is going to be crammed full of stuff and I won't be able to play much. :(

Anyone playing it yet?? What are your impressions?

RoachMojo
09-18-03, 11:52 AM
I have it. It has a few problems.

1. Crappy performance with FX cards [EDIT] SOLVED: http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16352
Not an issue for Radeons.

2. No 2xaa or 4xaa with Nividia cards. Quincux and 8xaa work. 8xaa is playable with shadows disabled and Quincux looks barely acceptable. No solution yet for 4xaa. AA works fine for the Radeons.

3. No shadows for ATI 9800 Pro users. At least, that is what I have seen posted, as a "known but unresolved issue". Shadows work fine for the 9700 and Nvidia cards, but with a performance hit that is pretty big.

Riptide
09-18-03, 11:54 AM
Looks like having an ATI card in this case *may* save me some headaches then. That said, the demo has been very unstable on my system so I fear that the release game may also be a buggy nightmare. I sure hope not... Keep me update. :)

DaveW
09-18-03, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by RoachMojo
I have it. It has problems.

1. Crappy performance with FX cards. Techs suggest rolling back to 44.03 dets! Not an option for us with the flicker issue, but working with the techs, a solution has been found: http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16352
Not an issue for Radeons.

It runs great on my 9700. The framerate looks choppy in the pre-scripted intro events that use the game engine (e.g. the mothership being launched from the scafold). This is something that happened on all Homeworld games. Its because the tool they used to record those "demos" only takes snapshots at a set frame rate (e.g. 15 fps) so those sequences will always look a bit choppy, regardless of how fast your graphics card is. Many games that use the game engine for story-line clips have this issue and its often mistaken for poor performance.

2. 16-bit textures. The game looks like 16-bit, that's the only way I can say it. Others have the same problem. No solution as of yet and indeed, the impression that we are getting is that it is supposed to look like that (ass).

I hardly noticed except a little banding on the engine flare. The textures may be 16bit, but the rendering is certainly 32 bit. Graphically the game still looks awesome.

3. No 2xaa or 4xaa with Nividia cards. Quincux and 8xaa work, but 8xaa is too slow and Quincux looks like ass. No solution yet. AA works fine for the Radeons.

Why would you be running any sort of AA on an nVidia card anyway? its not worth the performance impact over just picking a higher resolution.

4. No shadows for ATI users. At least, that is what I have seen posted. It may have been solved. Shadows work fine for the Nvidia cards, but with a performance hit that is acceptable.

Shadows work fine on my Radeon 9700. I turn them off though because they look kind of low res, don't really add to the eye-candy, and have a noticable performance impact (25-30% at a guess).

------------

BTW I love this game. I am only on the third mission but it looks like a good addition to the homeworld series. The storyline looks as good as the previous game

RoachMojo
09-18-03, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by DaveW
Why would you be running any sort of AA on an nVidia card anyway? its not worth the performance impact over just picking a higher resolution.

ROFLMAO.....forget it.

NO, I will not be baited.

ad hoc
09-18-03, 02:06 PM
I've got it, and personally am very pleased with the performance. I don't really like the shadows, however. They look like they are displaced from the objects creating them, and the have low resolution...

But other than that, I still get that sense of spacial awe when I'm playing, just like the original.

Riptide
09-18-03, 02:25 PM
DaveW, good to hear that shadows do at least work OK for you even though you decided to turn them off. I wasn't aware of the cause for that choppiness with regard to the in-game cinematic sequences. I've noticed it with other games and always blamed it on my PC not being quick enough... Guess that's not the case.

I am glad that some of you appear to really be enjoying this thing. Anyone call in sick to stay home with their new diversion? ;)

Regarding the banding, I've seen some screenshots. It definitely seems that there is banding in this game where there wasn't in cataclysm. However, as DaveW stated the game still looks pretty badass.

ad hoc
09-18-03, 02:50 PM
Anyone call in sick to stay home with their new diversion?

:D

Vash
09-18-03, 03:16 PM
Heh...I wish I was playing it...

Nephilim
09-18-03, 04:38 PM
I've gotten it. I have only been able to install it, seeing as it's my b'day I've hardly had any time to even look at it.....

particleman
09-18-03, 06:54 PM
I have a 5900 Ultra as well as a 9700 pro, and my results seem to match what others in this thread have experienced. The games runs horribly on the 5900 and AA doesn't seem to work. No problems on the 9700 shadows, work as well as AA, and performance is much better.

This is definitely something I'm not used to, having a new game released and experiencing a load of problems on nVidia hardware instead of ATi hardware. I guess some developers have switched to ATi hardware as well.

RoachMojo
09-18-03, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by particleman
The games runs horribly on the 5900 and AA doesn't seem to work. No problems on the 9700 shadows, work as well as AA, and performance is much better.

The performance issue with the 5900 has been resolved with a simple edit of a config file, and performance is now on par with a 9800 Pro.

Originally posted by particleman
This is definitely something I'm not used to, having a new game released and experiencing a load of problems on nVidia hardware instead of ATi hardware. I guess some developers have switched to ATi hardware as well.

There is only one problem with this game on the 5900: No 4xAA (although Quincux and 8xaa work fine, and 8xaa is playable if shadows are disabled).

The Radeon 9800 Pro cannot render the shadows properly. It is a "known and unresolved issue". However, the shadows work fine on the Nvidia cards.

Edge
09-19-03, 01:35 AM
The framerate looks choppy in the pre-scripted intro events that use the game engine (e.g. the mothership being launched from the scafold). This is something that happened on all Homeworld games. Its because the tool they used to record those "demos" only takes snapshots at a set frame rate (e.g. 15 fps) so those sequences will always look a bit choppy, regardless of how fast your graphics card is. Many games that use the game engine for story-line clips have this issue and its often mistaken for poor performance.

What? ARG! I can't believe I didn't know this before. Here I was trying everything to make the intros from the other HW games to run at a very smooth (i.e. above 20 FPS) rate, and there's no way to do it because of their demo recorder! Grr...oh well, at least now I know.

Riptide
09-19-03, 09:52 AM
My copy should be here today. Yipee! I'll be up late tonight playing. Hopefully I can finish the first couple missions before 1AM. :)

Here's to hoping I don't encounter any show stopping bugs...
:beer:

sMull
09-21-03, 06:28 PM
I actually enjoyed the way the movies played in Homeworld. :afro:

Riptide
09-22-03, 08:02 AM
The movies looked cool for sure. But I agree that they were choppy at times.

Just finished the second game this weekend. Similar in overall style to the first game, which isn't a bad thing IMO.

Homeworld 2 is more difficult than the first installment. In this second game you are under attack almost constantly and there are times when you absolutely must be building replacement capital ships and fighter squads while you are engaging the enemy and directing the movements of your units. The first game provided times where you could kinda just sit back, direct an attack, and watch the carnage. Not so much in this one... You must be a good multitasker or you will be overwhelmed! In short, it makes a better general out of you and keeps the adrenaline flowing a little better.

One thing I did notice... Missions 12,13, and 14 were more difficult than the last mission (15).

I look forward to Homeworld 3, if there is going to be such a game.

RoachMojo
09-22-03, 11:56 AM
I agree with Rip about the dificulty. This game is f'ing hard!

However, it is sooo much fun. I can't even remember the last game that had me up until 6 am both Sat and Sun, and I just started mission 5.

I played both HW and HW:Cataclysm twice and this is a worthy successor.

DaveW
09-25-03, 09:45 AM
My thoughts after a week:

Some of the missions needs their difficulty adjusted. Mission 4 is insanely hard compared to mission 5. I hear mission 8 is a pain too. There is no game setting to adjust difficulty :( These things will probably be fixed in a future patch. The wonky difficulty curve is the only real issue I have about this game.

The banding is more obvious in some areas than others. One mission (5 I think) takes place inside a dust cloud. Its brownish in color, exactly the color that translates worst into lower color depths. On other missions you don't notice it so bad.

The storyline is interesting. Im only on mission 7 but its already answers to some of the questions behind the history of the kiith and clues to what those huge derelicts floating through space that you first encountered in HW1 are all about.

Riptide
09-25-03, 12:14 PM
I agree DaveW, some missions are overly difficult at times. NONE of them are unbeatable though. You'll just have to get good about reloading from saved positions. :)

The only other minor complaints I have are that the very last mission is a little bit to easy compared to some of the earlier ones and that you don't get many calm times to prepare your fleet. Jumping out automatically at the end of the level sucks, IMO.

RoachMojo
09-25-03, 12:28 PM
Rip, you are aware that you can pause the game and still give out orders, right?

Riptide
09-25-03, 03:59 PM
No, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the tip. :)

It would still be nice to be able to build your fleet back up before you hyperspace out to the next mission. Not just issue orders but actually get construction finished and assign groups out.

RoachMojo
09-27-03, 07:21 PM
Yeah, I didn't know about the pause button either until I saw someone post it on the Relic forums, heh.

Well, I finished the game, and now I cannot wait for a followup!!