PDA

View Full Version : Bit Concerned About Temperature

pars_andy
09-18-03, 04:38 PM
I'm overclocking my Asus 5900Ultra card and everything seems pretty stable. Only thing is....with the 45.33 drivers - I've caught my temp rising to 80 degrees. Should I be worried about this?

mrsabidji
09-18-03, 04:48 PM
Hmm, as long as there are no noticeable glitches or freezes, I think you don't have to. What are your new clock speeds, by the way ?

mrsabidji

pars_andy
09-18-03, 04:53 PM
Only 501 GPU and 905 Memory. The 45.33 drivers seem to have made my temps shoot up. Asus use a custom cooling solution which is very quiet but it doesn't seem to like the new drivers. Even at idle it's around 62 degrees. Either that or the control panel is reporting temps wrongly - it hits 62 even as I boot up!

volt
09-18-03, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by pars_andy
I'm overclocking my Asus 5900Ultra card and everything seems pretty stable. Only thing is....with the 45.33 drivers - I've caught my temp rising to 80 degrees. Should I be worried about this?

You have flicker fix drivers :p

Besides fixing the flicker problem, NVIDIA most likely lowered the speed of the fan or uppded the voltage (if doable through drivers). Should you worry about this? Yes if you are overclocking.

More info: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16032&perpage=25&pagenumber=25

mrsabidji
09-18-03, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by pars_andy
Only 501 GPU and 905 Memory. The 45.33 drivers seem to have made my temps shoot up. Asus use a custom cooling solution which is very quiet but it doesn't seem to like the new drivers. Even at idle it's around 62 degrees. Either that or the control panel is reporting temps wrongly - it hits 62 even as I boot up!

That's pretty cool since you didn't mod the card at all. I read somewhere in this forum that 45.33 Dets were having temp/temp-detection issues. I didn't install them because I had no flickering problem so I can't confirm. Anyway, you could try running 3DM2k3 for several hours and see what happens. Then, to make sure nothing's wrong, you can also use an artefact detection app.

mrsabidji

mrsabidji
09-18-03, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by volt

Besides fixing the flicker problem, NVIDIA most likely lowered the speed of the fan or uppded the voltage (if doable through drivers). Should you worry about this? Yes if you are overclocking.

Good point. I didn't know that.

mrsabidji

pars_andy
09-18-03, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by volt

More info: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16032&perpage=25&pagenumber=25

Yeah I was aware of that...just wondered if that temperature was something to be concerned about.

volt
09-18-03, 05:24 PM
I know I am. 10 degrees is A LOT considering there is not much room left.

pars_andy
09-18-03, 05:29 PM
Why's the core slowdown temp at 140 ??? Can the cards really run that hot?

Dazz
09-18-03, 05:39 PM
Yeap, they run idle about 40C and can go as hot as 80C, depending of the cooling solutions used.

mrsabidji
09-18-03, 05:40 PM
I read nv3x could run really really hot, but you'll prolly experience troubles before reaching that temp.

mrsabidji