PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia PR at work again on TechTV tonight...

Pages : [1] 2

Hellbinder
09-19-03, 01:10 AM
Ho hum... Screensavers. They have absolutely no care in the world about honest information.

They had an Nvidia Rep on their tonight insisting that "They dont know why Valve refused to allow the Det50's to be used to bencmark being that they had worked with valve on them for the last month". :rolleyes:

Of Course the shows hosts were "Troubbled" over it.

Further the Guy insits that "They will have great performance and Quality drivers out there when the game ships in one month".

Why.. Why.. why.. are there complete Sell out POS out there (Specifically screensavers) who Time and again intentionally push flat out Decietfull information onto the public? Instead of just passing on the Truth. This is oddly similar to the case a few moths ago where they put out that it was ATi who were the ones with the Clipping plane cheats in 3dmark03..
:rolleyes:

I am going to stop there. Because Quite frankly I really want to go off right now and say some things about Nvidia. I would probably go to far. Just know that i am thinking them ;)

B&R
09-19-03, 01:24 AM
I stopped watching screen savers long time ago.

windwaver
09-19-03, 01:46 AM
It' too late for ATi :cool:

phial
09-19-03, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Hellbinder
Ho hum... Screensavers. They have absolutely no care in the world about honest information.

They had an Nvidia Rep on their tonight insisting that "They dont know why Valve refused to allow the Det50's to be used to bencmark being that they had worked with valve on them for the last month". :rolleyes:

Further the Guy insits that "They will have great performance and Quality drivers out there when the game ships in one month".

Why.. Why.. why.. are there complete Sell out POS out there (Specifically screensavers) who Time and again intentionally push flat out Decietfull information onto the public? Instead of just passing on the Truth. This is oddly similar to the case a few moths ago where they put out that it was ATi who were the ones with the Clipping plane cheats in 3dmark03..

I am going to stop there. Because Quite frankly I really want to go off right now and say some things about Nvidia. I would probably go to far. Just know that i am thinking them ;)

tell me about it!!!!

ive been saying this sinse like, march or maybe even a bit earlier, when i first seen teh "Shadermark" benches of the GFFX and R3X0 compared. of course i said it was only one benchmark and not to take too seriously, but its was still something to consider nontheless. but i got flamed.

and NOW, MONTHS later when its been proven time and time and time and time again, and when the LIES have been unearthed, people still promote it. its like they are so ignorant, or its like they feel they owe this particular company a favor *BLURRR* i just dont get it.. brand loyalty is for sheep as a friend of mine said recently

bkswaney
09-19-03, 02:09 AM
Nvidia supports the screensavers. That is why they r standing behind them.
Sad really that they get stuck using the second fastest cards. ;) "lol" :D

phial
09-19-03, 02:12 AM
hehe yup

all those nvidia logos behind the host tells you how much money is being slipped under the table

digitalwanderer
09-19-03, 07:31 AM
Anyway/anywhere to download a copy of the show in question? I don't get it local so I just hear about it second hand.

Heck, a transcript would make me happy. ;)

saturnotaku
09-19-03, 07:59 AM
Although I'm sure it won't do any good, I just had to send them an e-mail. This is what I sent:

Gentlemen,

I have been a fan of TSS and TechTV in general since I knew I could get the
channel on DirecTV. I was watching a recent show, and I was rather shocked
and disturbed over a guest you had from NVIDIA public relations. This is in
regards to the fiasco known as the GeForce FX 5900.

The PR rep claims something to the effect of, "They (NVIDIA) don't know why
Valve refused to allow the Detonator 50-series drivers to be used to benchmark
being that they had worked with valve on them for the last month." It seems
you were troubled by this "fact."

If you do a little bit of homework, you'll see that this is just another
instance of NVIDIA's deceitful public relations practices. Now before you
pass me off as yet another NVIDIA bashed, I'll have you know that I've owned
the following NVIDIA cards in my computing lifetime:

Riva TNT
GeForce2 MX
GeForce2 Ti
GeForce2 Ultra
GeForce3
GeForce4 Ti4600
GeForce FX 5800 Ultra
GeForce FX 5900

Check the main pages and forums of sites like Beyond3D and nV News and you'll
discover that the GeForce FX 5900 is simply an inferior piece of hardware,
with crippled features that will not be able to be repaired with simple driver
updates.

Beyond3D put together a comprehensive series of benchmarks with the game Tomb
Raider: Angel of Darkness. This game features a lot of the programmable
shaders that are a part of the DirectX 9 specification. They tested cards
across ATI's and NVIDIA's complete line of supposed DirectX 9 compliant
products. You can read the results by visiting this site:

http://www.beyond3d.com/misc/traod_dx9perf/

That's pretty damning evidence, and if you read further at Beyond3D, you'll
see that the results will not get much better upon the release of the
Detonator 50-series drivers. This is simply because the NV3x architecture is
incapable of rendering advanced DirectX 9 features at any sort of reasonable
speed.

But what of DooM III you might ask? If you check John Carmack's latest
statements on the subject, you'll know that when he was programming the NV30
codepath for the game, he had to used reduced precision in order to get the
GeForce FX to perform at reasonable levels. If you run the game on the
standard ARB OpenGL codepath, the game will run much faster on an ATI
R300-series card than it will on a GeForce FX.

It's unfortunate that NVIDIA's public relations has gotten to you. Although I
can't say I should be surprised when you have their logo plastered all over
the computers you use for your LAN party. But you can take a stand here. You
can say that you will not be strong-armed and a slave to the almighty dollar. I would hope that The Screen Savers can stand up to NVIDIA and tell viewers who might rely on you for advice that the GeForce FX is an inferior product.

Perhaps this will send NVIDIA a message that such behavior will not be
tolerated, and it will push them to make their next generation product an
excellent one. I am holding out hope for this because NVIDIA hasn't let me
down with its previous products.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.

The Baron
09-19-03, 08:09 AM
The Screen Savers Main Event I'd Like To See:

Derek "The Demon" Perez versus "Wavey Davey" Baumann :D

Then again, I think it's impossible--Wavey is obviously a genetically engineered brain floating in a vat hooked directly to the Internet.. :p

digitalwanderer
09-19-03, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by The Baron
Then again, I think it's impossible--Wavey is obviously a genetically engineered brain floating in a vat hooked directly to the Internet.. :p
Shhhhh! That's supposed to be a secret... :bleh:

Great letter Saturnotaku, I probably would have cursed a lot more and included the phrase "lying scumbag butt-weasels" a lot...but otherwise very nice. :)

saturnotaku
09-19-03, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Great letter Saturnotaku, I probably would have cursed a lot more and included the phrase "lying scumbag butt-weasels" a lot...but otherwise very nice. :)

Thanks, but I probably shouldn't have used big words like programmable shaders, DirectX, OpenGL and ARB. I probably made their heads explode. :D

By the way, I'm not going to be watching the tellie much this weekend (and when I do it will be baseball, baseball, baseball). Can someone check on TechTV to see if they issue any sort of response/statement to the no doubt flood of e-mails they received on this subject?

Johnmcl7
09-19-03, 10:47 AM
Being in the UK my knowledge of American TV is pretty much zero, but wasn't the channel that had some questionable material on Nvidia/ATi graphics cards before? The reason I ask is I seem to remember people taking this to the TV channel's forums and getting some 'amusing' responses trying to justify the position taken in the TV show.

John

digitalwanderer
09-19-03, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Johnmcl7
Being in the UK my knowledge of American TV is pretty much zero, but wasn't the channel that had some questionable material on Nvidia/ATi graphics cards before? The reason I ask is I seem to remember people taking this to the TV channel's forums and getting some 'amusing' responses trying to justify the position taken in the TV show.

John
I believe you are correct and it was over the whole 3dm2k3 flap when it first came up. :)

Skuzzy
09-19-03, 10:58 AM
Nice email saturn. I think it probably will go right over thier heads though. I sent in this:

"Gentlemen, concerning the recent visit from an NVidia representative on your show. You do realize that your credibility just went way south for the winter?
Anyone who has any interest in high performance graphics cards already knows that the FX line of cards are not up to the task of running full DX9 features and there is not much of anything NVidia can do about it.
Sorry to see you get taken for a ride and falling for it."

jAkUp
09-19-03, 12:00 PM
i say everyone with an email account email them:D im sure it will send a shiver up their spines... hehe

digitalwanderer
09-19-03, 12:12 PM
Someone wanna post up their e-dress?

saturnotaku
09-19-03, 12:43 PM
thescreensavers@techtv.com

Miester_V
09-19-03, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Hellbinder

Too disgusted to even type a meaningful response. Instead I will respond to nVidia with my :ass:.

eesa
09-19-03, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by phial
brand loyalty is for sheep as a friend of mine said recently

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. There's hope for the world yet.

eesa
09-19-03, 03:40 PM
saturn, I really hope you get a response. I'd be curious to see if they would respond.

The Baron
09-19-03, 03:46 PM
You know how many bad reviews of random stuff I've seen on TechTV? One. Why? It was a portable breathalyzer, and it simply didn't work. Everything else has gotten a glowing review.

Hmmm... yeah, you do the math.

Johnmcl7
09-19-03, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
I believe you are correct and it was over the whole 3dm2k3 flap when it first came up. :)

Ah, that's right!

This seems to be TechTV's messageboard, might be a good place to give them feedback on their show rather than e-mail or both. Having not seen the show I can't comment sadly, but I would like to see someone highlight and explain the HL2 issues to the TechTV 'supergeeks', they need the help!

John

Star_Hunter
09-19-03, 07:47 PM
I E-mailed them I dont think they will read though...

Shamrock
09-19-03, 09:24 PM
that guy...I think his name was Brian Sims? Also said Det 50's arent due till first week of next month (that is almost a direct quote) Sooo...first week of October? hmm...

goblin
09-20-03, 04:07 AM
Baron I thought you told me this Nvidia fiasco was not newsworthy? You closed my thread on this subject. Glad someone opened it up again.

Originally posted by The Baron
You know how many bad reviews of random stuff I've seen on TechTV? One. Why? It was a portable breathalyzer, and it simply didn't work. Everything else has gotten a glowing review.

Hmmm... yeah, you do the math.