PDA

View Full Version : Robotech?

Riptide
09-19-03, 10:51 AM
Does anyone know if Robotech has ever resulted in a game? I was watching some of the macross saga last night and it occurred to me that the potential in the story is there for an awesome game. It seems like it should've been done already though. If not, somebody should do it. :)

monkeydust
09-19-03, 11:17 AM
They released a critically mediocre game called Robotech: Battlecry for the consoles about a year ago. I have it but I just haven't played it yet so I can't tell you how it is myself.

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/224077.asp

Riptide
09-19-03, 12:54 PM
Damn, mediocre eh? I just read a robotech history document today and found it entertaining. The makings are there for a GREAT game.

To me, the most challenging aspect of the game would be to incorporate and make great the two separate styles of fighting found in the series. IE, you would need to have a space combat portion like wing commander for when the veritech flies off of the SDF-1 and at the same time have some sort of ground battle mode where the veritech is in battloid/land attack configuration like with mechwarrior.

Oh well, maybe someday right? :)

gmontem
09-19-03, 01:58 PM
You realize that Robotech was an attempt by Carel Macek to fuse three unrelated anime series -- Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospaeda (sp?) -- together, right? That bloody fool....

Riptide
09-19-03, 02:24 PM
Yes, I've been doing some reading and found that information yesterday. Since I've never delved into those particular series it doesn't bother me that much. I like Robotech's story. :)

monkeydust
09-19-03, 02:24 PM
IGN gave it an 8.0 and Gamespot gave it a 6.8

Here's their reviews if you want to see what they had to say about it.

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/371/371623p1.html
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/robotechbattlecry/review.html

Nephilim
09-19-03, 02:59 PM
There have been several attempts at Robotech games over the years on many different consoles. From the NES all the way to the GC, Xbox and PS2 (Robotech: Battlecry).

Fortunately (or unfortunately, however you want to look at it) most of these were never released in the US. You see, Robotech has been somewhat of a cursed franchise for games, much like Batman. ALL of the Robotech games that have been made suck. Bad. Robotech: Battlecry is far and away the best Robotech game ever made.

....and it's just as they've said. Mediocre.

I own it. It's fun, for a while, and then you get tired of it. It's cool though, because a lot of the voice actors are portraying their original roles from the series in it, and the music is the same from the series. There are extras you can unlock, like interviews with the cast members and stuff. It's kinda neat.

Riptide
09-19-03, 03:08 PM
Perhaps then they need to develop a game for the PC that does justice to the series? Maybe developing it for the PC would break the "curse". :)

Matthius
09-23-03, 05:08 AM
all i have to say, is that i LOVED Robotech: Battlecry. if your a macross/robotech/macross plus/etc its a must buy. and u said before that they'd u would need to be able to fly in space, which u can, turn into battleroid mode, which u can, and gerwalk as well. but if ur on a planet, if u go into battleroid mode, u fall to the ground. when u boost on the ground, u gain a lot of speed. just like in the series. cel shaded too! gameplay rocks soooo much.:D