PDA

View Full Version : CPU upgrade?

Head_slinger
09-20-03, 03:37 PM
Ok, I have an Athlon XP 1900+ Palomino, KR7 (KT266A). Geforce 4 Ti 4400. Should i upgrade the CPU or graphics card first?

Im going towards the CPU more, hoping to get a Barton and an nforce 2. Or maybe wait for Athlon 64. What do you guys think?

GlowStick
09-20-03, 03:51 PM
Graphics card, a cpu upgrade at BEST will give you an extra 10fps, thats for like a 3ghz + p4........

Xtreeem
09-21-03, 01:18 AM
Think about a P4c with the 800 Mhz front side bus and HyperThreading.
The 2.4Ghz oc's well and is a decent deal right now at $165.00.

GlowStick
09-21-03, 01:41 AM
Yeah but he wont get a boost in FPS unless he gets a new video card!

ragejg
09-21-03, 04:03 AM
what kinda ram u usin?

Seriously, the KR7(A, A-133, A-133R) series has kick-arse performance... One thing it can handle (and somehow allows other system components to handle) is high fsb... without any foolin around, you can "downgrade" sorta, and get a TbredB 1700 and tread happily to around 175-190mhz fsb... @ 1.9-2.0 ghz... so what I'm sayin is that you may be able to sell your 1900 for like 40 clams, and get a 1700 for 40 clams, and save the extra cash to put towards a vidcard purchase...

ATI cards (excepth the 8500 series) can't really handle higher agp freq's, but nvidia's offerings can... Honestly with the money you've saved, and the compatibility issue with high agp frequencies, I'd go with a 5800 regular... if you caould find one... either that of a flip-chip 5600 ultra...

... just my $0.02... :)

Smokey
09-21-03, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by GlowStick
Yeah but he wont get a boost in FPS unless he gets a new video card!

This highly depends on the game, some games (i would say most these days) are heavily dependent on the cpu, more so than the videocard. I bet that for eg. in RavenShield, that you would get more FPS by upgrading to a Barton2500+ than if you upgraded to a 9800Pro!

As it is, your set up should still run games fine, fine enough that you could wait for the Athlon64s, keep in mind you will alos have to upgrade your motherboard. Another option is to grab say a Barton2500+ now, and upgrade to Athlon64 once PCI Express is out also.

As for the videocard, only you can be the best judge of how your games look and play, Im still using my GF3, as I can play RavenShield with 50-100+ FPS, and I wasnt all that happy with the FX series of cards, Im hoping at around Christmas time that Nvidias NV40 will be that good, if not I'll be going else where ;)

Just as a side note, when I say a cpu upgrade will give you higher FPS, this is not taking into account any use of AF or/and FSAA, in which case, a new videocard will better, as the use of AF/FSAA is a videocard limitation.

Head_slinger
09-21-03, 07:20 AM
The reason i was looking for a CPU upgrade is mainly because of RvS and Americas Army. When enabling EAX it gets really choppy, i figured this was a CPU problem.

I think im gonna wait for Athlon 64, and get a Barton 2500 just to tide me over. Will i beable to run the Barton in this board?

My RAM is generic so i think overclocking is out of the question :). Smokey you say you get 50-100 FPS in RvS, hmm. I dont get anywhere near that. I got 13k in Aquamark is that low? Im wondering if my system isnt performing as well as it should be. I remember my 3dmark score being pretty low. Hmm.

Hmm, at overclokcers you can pre order Athlion 64's and FX's

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_AMD_CPUs_51.html

Pafet
09-21-03, 09:17 AM
Those 2 games would benefit gratly from a CPU upgrade. I cant play Raven Shield on my XP1600+. I get same frame reates at 1024x768 as in 640x480. lowering detail has minimal effects. playing at 20 fps is bad for my eyes :eek: :D

As for AA (lol) I cant say if its CPU or graphics card but looks like CPU.

It depends on how often you upgrade.

Head_slinger
09-21-03, 09:19 AM
so you think it will be better to get a barton 2500 just to tide me over? Rather than a gfx upgrade. BTW i dont use AA and sometimes use AF.

Smokey
09-21-03, 11:07 AM
Both RVS and AA use the Unreal engine, so yes both games will benifit from a cpu upgrade. There are also little tweaks in the games .ini file.

Couple of things I have done in the ravenshield.ini

- Disabled vsync
-set reduce mouse lag to "True"

I think they are the two biggest tweaks, also for online play, set your connection to a T3 ;)

Anyways, here is a SS I took observing a clan mate, note this is on the system in my sig, outside maps I get 50-60FPS.

http://members.fortunecity.com/thesmokey/Shot-00011.jpg

LiquidX
09-21-03, 11:22 AM
I say do a CPU upgrade. But if you do....do it big. I say get something better than the 2.5. Opting for a better CPU and memory upgrade instead of a Video card was the best decision I ever made. My performances on a Ti4200 improved so greatly......time and time again I decided against upgradeing it because it now runs so damn smooth. It feels so damn good to hear your mate in a clan bitching "smoke slows me down" in Raven Sheild "so dont throw it" while you dont even hic-up.:)

Do a CPU and memory upgrade if you can Head_slinger and that Ti4400 will be a whole new card.:cool:

LiquidX
09-21-03, 11:23 AM
Whoa 2 RVS posts seconds apart. That wasnt intentional.:D

Head_slinger
09-21-03, 11:45 AM
ok guys, cool. Thanx for all the help. Just wondering will the barton run in my KR7? I know its a 333 bus so i figure im gonna have to get a new board?

Head_slinger
09-21-03, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by LiquidX
I say do a CPU upgrade. But if you do....do it big. I say get something better than the 2.5. Opting for a better CPU and memory upgrade instead of a Video card was the best decision I ever made. My performances on a Ti4200 improved so greatly......time and time again I decided against upgradeing it because it now runs so damn smooth. It feels so damn good to hear your mate in a clan bitching "smoke slows me down" in Raven Sheild "so dont throw it" while you dont even hic-up.:)

Do a CPU and memory upgrade if you can Head_slinger and that Ti4400 will be a whole new card.:cool:

i just saw your post. Yeah i think your right :). New memory, mobo and CPU. Ill have a think see what happens,

Thanx for all help, and glad to see we have some RvS boys on here ;)

Greg
09-26-03, 03:42 AM
Because of your current spec, this is not an easy question to answer. Your curreny combo is not bad and you would benefit from upgrading either major component. You may want to check out CPU vs VIDEO scaling reviews. I think I saw one at http://www.tomshardware.com/ (sorry, don't have time to find the articles). So you should find a) how all kinds of CPU , and b) how all kinds of GPU on the same system, effect 3dmark performance. That might help you prefer a particular upgrade.