PDA

View Full Version : Save me from reformatting!

Carfax
09-20-03, 09:03 PM
I used driver cleaner 2.0 to remove some dets for the first time, and I think it/or me unintentionally uninstalled an important file it/me wasn't supposed to.

Now when I try to reinstall the dets normally, it gives this error that says:

"Cannot install this hardware" "The required section was not found in the INF"

I've tried multiple ways to get the drivers to reinstall, but EVERYTHING I've tried has failed including installing different driver versions.

When I boot up, XP won't even recognize that my FX card's drivers aren't installed. I have to go to the Hardware install manager to attempt to install it..

Any help will be appreciated. I don't want to have to reinstall and start from scratch again!

digitalwanderer
09-20-03, 09:06 PM
What driver version are you trying to install and where did you get them from, it sounds more like you downloaded either the wrong ones accidently or they got corrupted.

Carfax
09-20-03, 09:09 PM
I'm trying to reinstall the 45.23xx drivers after removing the 51.75 betas. I don't think the driver I'm trying to install is corrupted, because I've tried MULTIPLE different drivers all with the same result :(

digitalwanderer
09-20-03, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Carfax
I'm trying to reinstall the 45.23xx drivers after removing the 51.75 betas. I don't think the driver I'm trying to install is corrupted, because I've tried MULTIPLE different drivers all with the same result :(
DriverCleaner won't clean out the 51.75 set yet I don't think, I haven't heard Spike announcing support for them.

I'd recomend you do a forum search for a manual XP driver clean-out and do it that way. I'd write you one up, but it's been a while since I ran an nVidia card under XP.

fivefeet8
09-20-03, 09:23 PM
Do a system restore to an earlier time with the older drivers installed..

Carfax
09-20-03, 09:26 PM
I did a search but I couldn't find thread you specified. This is absolutely the weirdest thing I've ever experienced though.

It doesn't surprise me that you say that Driver cleaner 2.0 can't clean out the 51.75 betas, because I tried to do JUST that and it gave me some errors. Then, I cleaned it out again and it gave me a warning that I was removing some kind of file, but since I figured the files were part of the drivers, I did it anyway. Then I tried re-installing the 45..23xx and I kept getting the errors about the INF file..

I don't want to reformat, because I have so much stuff on my hardrive and it will take forever to back it up and reinstall. But, if I can't find a solution, I have no choice..

Carfax
09-20-03, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by fivefeet8
Do a system restore to an earlier time with the older drivers installed..

LOL, I disabled system restore a long time ago..

fingermouth
09-20-03, 10:58 PM
Hey dude what you need to do is either do a search for nv*.* in system and delete all contese in search pane asociated with nvidia or open the dir where the det you installed and search for each file by name in windows dir being system dir for all the files usually 57 or maybe more now for the same files located in driver dir but you have to open files folders in explorer and show all hidden files so you can see all the files and search registry for all nvidia files and remove them i recomment using regclean for cleaning out registry of nvidia files and go into safe mode and remove display atapter in device manager and reboot it should prompt you for a driver cd or use the generic windows driver for you card hope this helps Enjoy!.

The big man

Greg
09-20-03, 11:43 PM
Do this:
1) Boot from your windowsXP CD.
2) Follow steps to install but...
3) When it detects existing windows, choose Repair (Not the recovery console)

That will solve almost all driver and slightly damaged windows install, and it will preserve MOST of your existing drivers and ALL of your apps and data.

Remember to install in this order:
1) WindowsXP
2) Service Pack 1
3) Motherboard drivers (particularly AGP etc.)
4) Video drivers (and other important ones for you)
5) Current Windows security and critical patches.

digitalwanderer
09-20-03, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Greg
Remember to install in this order:
1) WindowsXP
2) Service Pack 1
3) Motherboard drivers (particularly AGP etc.)
4) Video drivers (and other important ones for you)
5) Current Windows security and critical patches.
Service Pack 1 before the motherboard drivers? Really? (I'm an XP newb)

The Baron
09-20-03, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Yes. You have to for nF2 boards because of USB2 and FireWire stuff, I believe.

digitalwanderer
09-21-03, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by The Baron
That could very well explain why my XP install is all screwy for me...it's the first one I've done with an AMD mobo and I don't think I did it in that order. :rolleyes:

Well learn something new everyday, thanks all. I was kind of planning on a reformat soon anyways, this is just the nudge I needed. (And hopefully it'll keep me sane thru a day with the kids, they were off the walls bonkers tonight and I got a looong day ahead of me come the morrow.)

saturnotaku
09-21-03, 12:11 AM

That is correct. USB 2.0 will not work unless you install SP1 before the standard nForce drivers. And regardless of your NT-based operating system, you should always install service packs first, then drivers.

Carfax
09-21-03, 12:49 AM
Just like to thank all you guys for helping me out. I was able to solve the problem by repairing Windows without reformatting, so I saved myself ALOT of time. Thank God for that repair function!

And thanks to you all :)

digitalwanderer
09-21-03, 09:58 AM
Glad to hear you fixed it, and I'd also like to add my thanks for the good advice I got out of this thread...thanks all! :)

mrsabidji
09-21-03, 10:01 AM

it doesn't really matter, in fact.

mrsabidji

edit : whoops, I didn't take the USB2.0 stuff into account :p .

digitalwanderer
09-21-03, 10:12 AM
Ok, since I'm thread hijacking for knowledge a bit I might as well ask....what about IDE drivers for the nForce2? What should I install for XP & 98se to get the least suck-ass performance?

The Baron
09-21-03, 12:00 PM
Ok, since I'm thread hijacking for knowledge a bit I might as well ask....what about IDE drivers for the nForce2? What should I install for XP & 98se to get the least suck-ass performance?
Don't install any. Use default XP ones.

digitalwanderer
09-21-03, 12:41 PM
Don't install any. Use default XP ones.
Thanks, I'll give it a go tomorrow. (One of my children is sick and the other ain't feeling so hot...I'll have my hands full just trying to tread water today. :rolleyes: )

The Baron
09-21-03, 01:25 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a go tomorrow. (One of my children is sick and the other ain't feeling so hot...I'll have my hands full just trying to tread water today. :rolleyes: )
I know the feeling. Prescription decongestants are your friend.

digitalwanderer
09-21-03, 01:29 PM
I know the feeling. Prescription decongestants are your friend.
Hmmmm....good time to have a wife who's a pharmacist then! ;)

Reaper106
09-22-03, 02:05 PM
Hmmmm....good time to have a wife who's a pharmacist then! ;)

Lucky!!!!!!!!!!:D

digitalwanderer
09-22-03, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Reaper106
Lucky!!!!!!!!!!:D
Oh man, if you only knew the half of it!

She'd never, ever abuse privs like that for me; heck, she didn't even tell me when she was filling medication for my Mom for some heart-trouble! (She's annoyingly professional about that sort of thing, I didn't know until my sister told me a week or so later. :rolleyes: )

But I got real lucky when I met my wife, and my marriage is the best thing that ever happened to me...truly. :cool:

Reaper106
09-24-03, 11:46 AM
Oh man, if you only knew the half of it!

She'd never, ever abuse privs like that for me; heck, she didn't even tell me when she was filling medication for my Mom for some heart-trouble! (She's annoyingly professional about that sort of thing, I didn't know until my sister told me a week or so later. :rolleyes: )

But I got real lucky when I met my wife, and my marriage is the best thing that ever happened to me...truly. :cool:

Right on Dig, Glad to hear it buddy:D