Pages : [1] 2

Shamrock
06-14-12, 10:05 PM
Sort of. It's simplistic, too.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=24936

Redeemed
06-14-12, 11:11 PM
No start menu still.

You know- I watched some youtube videos on 8. I may have to eat my previous words. It looks clumsy and cumbersome right now but if they can stream line it to prevent clutter or at least allow third-party applications that modify it's appearance to be more tolerable. My only concern with that is I don't want to pay for windows 8 and then have to purchase yet another program that modifies it so I can use it more easily. Seems kinda'... illogical.

Anyhow, I've yet to give it a test drive for myself. Almost don't want to until its official release. As it looks, in the not so distant future I may have a 2nd rig that I can throw windows 8 on just to dink around with. Definitely not gonna' make it my primary OS, at least not till I've used it extensively on a secondary system and can make a better judgement of my own. :)

Rakeesh
06-15-12, 12:23 AM
Without the start menu, I don't know if I'll bother. Maybe, we'll see.

Though I wonder, why is microsoft making explorer look like google apps? (gmail, calendar, etc.)

Melfranks
06-15-12, 06:52 PM
When did the desktop leave?

Shamrock
06-15-12, 10:29 PM
It didn't "leave" but they deleted the code to get the traditional desktop, in the preview release.

nutcrackr
06-15-12, 11:17 PM
looks ugly, win 7 <3

Cylphid
06-16-12, 09:04 AM
It didn't "leave" but they deleted the code to get the traditional start button, in the preview release.

*fixed*

Desktop never left. They deleted the code to enable the start button.

six_storm
06-16-12, 02:46 PM
As I said before. I'll only bother if games perform better, right now my PC at home is only used for games.

I'll go back to PC gaming when devs quit being lazy and make games worth spending the $$$$ to keep a PC up to date. Also they need to quit the whole exclusivity crap. Hated missing out on games like Gears of War because I didn't have a 360.

Until then I'll keep gaming on my MacBook and X360. :)

Rakeesh
06-16-12, 06:22 PM
Well at least you're not going with a Wii. Wii is almost as gay as a macintosh.

Cylphid
06-16-12, 06:41 PM
I'll go back to PC gaming when devs quit being lazy and make games worth spending the $$$$ to keep a PC up to date. Also they need to quit the whole exclusivity crap. Hated missing out on games like Gears of War because I didn't have a 360.

Hows gaming on OSX? I've read feedback that Steam is pretty solid.

six_storm
06-16-12, 07:30 PM
Hows gaming on OSX? I've read feedback that Steam is pretty solid.

Steam on OS X is pretty solid, but the availability of games is obviously lacking. All Valve games are available and run really great.

I use my Win7 boot camp for any game I can't play in OS X. But I mainly play Minecraft now days.

I just want the quality of PC games to be that giant step up that it used to be. I want to be able to justify the cost more than anything.

Cylphid
06-16-12, 09:22 PM
Steam on OS X is pretty solid, but the availability of games is obviously lacking. All Valve games are available and run really great.

I use my Win7 boot camp for any game I can't play in OS X. But I mainly play Minecraft now days.

I just want the quality of PC games to be that giant step up that it used to be. I want to be able to justify the cost more than anything.

Agreed 100%. I'm rapidly losing interest these days.

Thanks for the reply.

bacon12
06-17-12, 10:41 AM

Sorry but Skyrim, and Diablo 3 are worth having a gaming PC this year. Have fun on your mac thou.

bacon12
06-17-12, 11:23 AM
News flash: Diablo 3 runs flawlessly on Macs. I didn't even use the PC for that game.

Right, everyone I know running even a high end mac has frame rate issues. But if you consider that flawless then rock on.

http://www.justd3.com/improving-diablo-3-performance-on-mac-simple-steps.html

six_storm
06-17-12, 11:43 AM
Sorry but Skyrim, and Diablo 3 are worth having a gaming PC this year. Have fun on your mac thou.

Never been a fan of either game genres but am waiting for them to become dirt cheap over the next few years. So I really don't consider them "worth having a gaming PC" for. Most new games are pretty stale IMO. I'm still waiting for the new Hitman and Bioshock, so my 360 will work great for that when they release.

bob saget
06-17-12, 07:28 PM

I don't think it is THAT expensive to keep a PC up to date. The most cost effective way imo is you have to spend some dough once for good basics, and then just keep upgrading the video card as necessary.

six_storm
06-17-12, 09:35 PM
So what you said is incorrect. There are decent well made PC games, quite a few, but you aren't a fan of those and the games you do like aren't well made on PC.

Also you suck at games. ::p:

I won't argue with what I bolded lol.

I don't think it is THAT expensive to keep a PC up to date. The most cost effective way imo is you have to spend some dough once for good basics, and then just keep upgrading the video card as necessary.

While I agree with the last sentence, it all just depends on your situation financially. In my case, I have a new son that is all of my time, attention and $$$ right now lol. Not that I'm complaining about it, but I don't get much extra $$$ to upgrade video cards anymore. I'm still rocking out my Q6600, 8GB RAM and GTX 260 ;) And it also depends on time/location. I get zero time to sit at my desktop PC anymore, therefore I game on my MBP (Boot Camp or OS X) if not my XBOX.

I'm really waiting for the game devs to start focusing on the PC a little more; putting a little more time into their work and making the PC version worth maintaining the PC for. It just never settled right with me that I spent so much $$$$ on my PC when all I got was the console version with . . . well, I just got that.

Sorry to derail this thread with my crap. :o

mullet
06-18-12, 01:10 PM
****_storm. LOLzz

mailman2
06-19-12, 04:22 PM
If I had to game on a 360. Sadly, I would no longer be a gamer. I can't stand my 360, LOD on driving games is so poor I can't see anything on the road in front of me until its too late. 24/7 vasoline eyes. with all the blur, the jaggies... God just thinking about it makes me shiver.

I'm thinking with my 2600k, 16gb ram and GTX 680 I'm good for awhile though.

six_storm
06-19-12, 07:03 PM
If I had to game on a 360. Sadly, I would no longer be a gamer. I can't stand my 360, LOD on driving games is so poor I can't see anything on the road in front of me until its too late. 24/7 vasoline eyes. with all the blur, the jaggies... God just thinking about it makes me shiver.

360 looks pretty good on my big screen. Plus for us broke gamers who don't have the big bucks to spend on that kind of hardware you mentioned, it gets the gaming fix taken care of. ;)

When the PC market steps up and some time passes by, then I'll get back into it.

nekrosoft13
06-26-12, 10:32 AM

Dont play many games latelly, but if rrod_box or ps3 was my only choice i wouldnt play games at all.

nekrosoft13
06-26-12, 10:38 AM
I'm really waiting for the game devs to start focusing on the PC a little more; putting a little more time into their work and making the PC version worth maintaining the PC for. It just never settled right with me that I spent so much $$$$ on my PC when all I got was the console version with . . . well, I just got that.

Sorry to derail this thread with my crap. :o

Haha, and thats coming from someone thats wants bring down games to lowest level by making them the same across pc, tablet and phone.

zoomy942
06-26-12, 05:32 PM
gaming on my ipad2 ftw?

right six?

six?

six_storm
06-26-12, 07:57 PM
Haha, and thats coming from someone thats wants bring down games to lowest level by making them the same across pc, tablet and phone.

Who said anything about bringing them down to a lower level? I understand that with hardware, it just won't be possible, but one can dream right? Leave mah dreams alone!

gaming on my ipad2 ftw?

right six?

six?

Touchscreen controls suck. End of discussion. :bleh:

six_storm
06-26-12, 10:02 PM
They work well in Tiny Tower six.

Actually give Death Rally a go. It works surprisingly well on touch screen.

Sure, some games are meant for touchscreen controls. Have you tried a FPS like Wolfenstein 3D or Sim game like Minecraft? Controls almost ruin the game, at least for me.