PDA

View Full Version : Computer restarting and errors in Applications

raksasas
09-21-03, 06:37 PM
I know this has probably been posted a few times already but every computer has diff. problems. Okay My computer has been randomly restarting and programs keep getting errors couseing them to eather lockup the sytem or close out the program. This has been happening to me for about two to three weeks now. I have tryed doing a fresh install of XP and all the programs that I normally use to no avail. I keep getting there errors and reboots. I have noticed that it mainly happens when the computer has been on a while and when i start playing games like Asheron's Call 2. I have the following in my system:

Gigabyte KT Series - GA-7VAXP
AMD 2600+
512MB RAM - PC3200
Geforce FX 5600
Audigy 2
Windows XP - Fully updated!

Virus scan comes up NEGATIVE!
I thought it was my ram but this software that i came across DocMemory said other wise. So any ideas on what might be the problem?

Rampant CL
09-21-03, 11:52 PM
Ram, use this prog to test the ram then comeback and give your results.

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/mtinst.exe

raksasas
09-22-03, 02:17 PM
Test Cach
MATS on Succeeded
INVC on Succeeded
LRAND on Succeeded
Stride6 on Succeeded
WMATS + on Succeeded
WINVC on Succeeded
MATS + off Succeeded
stride28 on Succeeded
wstride-6 on Succeeded
ERAND on Succeeded
Stride6 off Succeeded

Rampant CL
09-22-03, 02:24 PM
ok, its not the ram

you can rule that out, but have you got your memory settings too high? or pc overclocked? that could be it, or maybe even overheating?

raksasas
09-22-03, 02:37 PM
No the pc is not over clocked and I have not even changed the settings to the memory. PC overheating that is kind of what I am thinking because it starts doing it in the evening if i have had the system on all day and playing games. Last time I checked the system ran about 36C but that was wen i just turned on the system. I will check it this evening when it is give me the problems.

saturnotaku
09-22-03, 02:43 PM
Yeah, double check your processor temperature. Otherwise, it could be a power issue. What is the brand and rating of your power supply? If it's a generic unit, that likely is the cause of your problems. Replace it with an Antec, Enermax or PC Power and Cooling unit.

raksasas
09-22-03, 05:09 PM
I have a Premier (something like that) 300W powersupply, I have been meaning to go buy a 400W or bigger powersupply from Fry's but just have not gotten around to it or had the extra cash to spend on it.

mrsabidji
09-23-03, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
Yeah, double check your processor temperature. Otherwise, it could be a power issue. What is the brand and rating of your power supply? If it's a generic unit, that likely is the cause of your problems. Replace it with an Antec, Enermax or PC Power and Cooling unit.

I was thinking the same thing...
You may also try and get a new firmware for your mainboard and see if it helps...

mrsabidji

Iron1384
09-24-03, 11:20 PM
I kind of have the same thing. Recently, everything I download is corrupt, and won't install, or installed, then is corrupted and won't run. I've tried returning all clock and memory values to default(and lower). In addition to corruption, i some times see the blue screen of death, which gives varying reasons for the crash ( it was sound device drivers today). I've run ChkDsk to scan for bad sectors, and found some errors. I'll run a memory test and post my results.

Okay, i ran the memory test. My memory repeatedly failed the LRAND section of the test. I ended up having to slow down the clock speed of the RAM (changing the Timings did nothing). It passed all the tests...i just hope everything will work right again.

Rampant CL
09-25-03, 10:40 AM
If it fails any of the tests then it means thereis somethign physically wrong, jsut slowing down the speeds may provide a quick fix but the fact is something is wrong with the hardware. Im already sending back 2 of my 3 512 mb ddr400 chips to the manufacturer and getting them replace. Suggest you look into the same.

ALobpreis
09-25-03, 11:05 AM
The best RAM tester I've seen is Memtest (www.memtest86.com). Make the boot disk and let it test. It has an own boot ("OS")!

First of you, you should disable automatic restart. That's in System Properties / Advanced / Start and restore (3rd button) (I don't have the english version so I'm kind of guessing what it says).

Then, you should get the BSOD and be able to read and write it. It may be an IRQ conflict.
What other cards do you have in your system?

BTW, if Memtest gives you errors, even one, there are two options:
1) The memory is bad
2) It's working beyond its limits (too high frecuency or too low latencies)

Whenver you try a new RAM configuration, I highly recommend running memtest to verifiy it's ok.

Remember memtest is a burn-in test, so it's repetitive. One cycle it's usually enough.

DanioJ
10-02-03, 03:52 AM
I had the exact same problem. The cause was a high CPU temperature due to lack of air flow in the rig.

Your motherboard probably has temperature protection which either restarts your computer or crashes it when the CPU becomes overheated.

Id check that out first!! :)

Smokey
10-02-03, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by DanioJ
I had the exact same problem. The cause was a high CPU temperature due to lack of air flow in the rig.

Your motherboard probably has temperature protection which either restarts your computer or crashes it when the CPU becomes overheated.

Id check that out first!! :)

Funny you should say that. My wifes pc was getting BSOD and couldnt load into windows. I tested the HDD in my pc as a slave and my pc wouldnt start, so we got a new hdd. Same problems, tested with my memory, same problem, bought a new psu, same problem. Ended up being the cpu temps, the ECS L7S7A2 motherboard is all messed up when it comes to sensors. Well I got a new hdd out of it, hers still works and she has my old one too :p

tesl0id
10-02-03, 09:15 AM
Try taking ou the audigy. My computer used to have many problems with randomly restarting with my Audigy. Although it was an Audigy 1 Gamer. Worth a try..

Iron1384
10-02-03, 10:34 PM
Well, after running Memtest 3.0 on my RAM one stick at a time, one of the modules fails each time....time to RMA to Corsair....

raksasas
10-04-03, 10:35 AM
For those that helped me, I found my problem only because friend had an extra motherboard laying around. I told freind I was going to buy a new powersupply (which i did any ways but not at the time of this) and he ask if i checked the motherboard... To keep a long story short I used his extra motherboard for a week and I had no problems, no restarting, no applications crashing.