PDA

View Full Version : Wierd voodoo after trying 51.75 Dets

DirtySanchez
09-21-03, 10:06 PM
Recently I foolishly installed the leaked 50 series beta detonators to see what they've been progressing, ran into alot of bugs, and quickly went back to 45.33

All of a sudden, some of my games have just ..stopped working.. As in, I try to start them and nothing happens, i.e. they just drop to the desktop before starting with no message whatsoever. Namely Vice City, Tron 2.0; probably others, I haven't tried them all. Max Payne, although not working, was nice enough to actually tell me it can't find enough video memory and that I should lower my settings (which just ain't true, I've got a 256MB 5900 Ultra). Nothing seems amiss in the driver control panel, my card is identified correctly, all the version numbers on the DLLs are 45.33. I can even complete the Direct3D tests in dxdiag with no problem.

The strange thing is most games work just fine; Quake 3 based engine games, Unreal 2K3, Splinter Cell, Warcraft III.

Another thing I noticed is, even after reverting back to 45.33, my monitor still gives me "no signal detected" on my LCD while switching resolutions. That has NEVER happened to me before, changing resolutions always used to be quick and crisp. Sometimes it can take a good 5 seconds before I get an image Something is still left over from the 51.75s.

I guess I should have known better than to mess with beta detonators, I have no one to thank but myself, but damn... I thought I'd be ok going back to the 45.33s. Must be some reminants of the 51.75s still lurking somewhere.

Anyone have any suggetions? Otherwise it may be a looong wait for the offficial 50 series that might or might not fix my woes.

fivefeet8
09-21-03, 11:21 PM
If your running winxp, do a system restore to an ealier time before you installed the det 50 beta's.

DirtySanchez
09-22-03, 07:20 AM
Would if I could. But system restore is one of the first things I disable, along with error reporting, remote assistance... yada yada

Reaper106
09-22-03, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by DirtySanchez
Would if I could. But system restore is one of the first things I disable, along with error reporting, remote assistance... yada yada
I would try removing the drivers and then running a NV Driver cleanup utility
and then doing a reinstall if the 45.23 drivers.
Go to the site below for NV driver cleanup utility

Go here (http://www.guru3d.com)

DirtySanchez
09-22-03, 09:46 PM
Using Detonator RIP from GURU3D seemed to do the trick. Strange thing is afterward the 45.33s still behaved the same; so I preceded to grudgingly reinstall the 51.75s, and the games that previously noticed not to work with the Detonator FX beta like Splinter Cell and others, miraculously worked flawlessly again. No idea what was causing the problem. Could have been coolbits, or the fact that I left the nvsvc32 service enabled this time. Whatever it was, I'm scared to touch it now. With the exception of a few strange studdering problems in Vice City, these dets seem SMMMOOOTH. Unreal Tournament 2003 for instance feels so much more fluid, and frame rates don't seem to dip as low in heavy firefights as they did.

serAph
09-23-03, 03:03 PM
Using Detonator RIP from GURU3D seemed to do the trick. Strange thing is afterward the 45.33s still behaved the same; so I preceded to grudgingly reinstall the 51.75s, and the games that previously noticed not to work with the Detonator FX beta like Splinter Cell and others, miraculously worked flawlessly again. No idea what was causing the problem. Could have been coolbits, or the fact that I left the nvsvc32 service enabled this time. Whatever it was, I'm scared to touch it now. With the exception of a few strange studdering problems in Vice City, these dets seem SMMMOOOTH. Unreal Tournament 2003 for instance feels so much more fluid, and frame rates don't seem to dip as low in heavy firefights as they did.

welp, may I recommend not undoing system restore in the future? :D Its saved my ass a ton of times, and Ive had to format every time I had it disabled...

anyway, there are a lot of much better performance tweaks than disabling sys restore - especially since sys restore only runs once a day ;)

DirtySanchez
09-23-03, 03:12 PM
Yup, you make a good point! I've just been so spoiled in the past just willie nillie installing any and all Detonator drivers at will in the past with no consequences, that I thought I was immune to any problems. I was lucky enough to get things going again, but in the future a few megabytes of wasted space is well worth the piece of mind.

serAph
09-23-03, 03:14 PM
Yup, you make a good point! I've just been so spoiled in the past just willie nillie installing any and all Detonator drivers at will in the past with no consequences, that I thought I was immune to any problems. I was lucky enough to get things going again, but in the future a few megabytes of wasted space is well worth the piece of mind.

indeed. Its hard to learn anything without being affected by it first. Thats how I had to learn.... the hard way... :(

mrsabidji
09-23-03, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by serAph
welp, may I recommend not undoing system restore in the future? :D Its saved my ass a ton of times, and Ive had to format every time I had it disabled...

anyway, there are a lot of much better performance tweaks than disabling sys restore - especially since sys restore only runs once a day ;)

Yeah, but system restore is for n00bs, we computer 133t prefer to format and install XP every now and then. Just kidding :D . But I still disable system restore. I takes a bit too much room on your HDD, and you only completely crash XP, let's say... once every four months or something. By the way, I've always prefered a fresh XP install (it never took me more than 2 hours of time, format+install+setup) to a supposed-to-be-stable system restore (which is still a concept for me, since I never used it).

mrsabidji

serAph
09-23-03, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by mrsabidji
Yeah, but system restore is for n00bs, we computer 133t prefer to format and install XP every now and then. Just kidding :D . But I still disable system restore. I takes a bit too much room on your HDD, and you only completely crash XP, let's say... once every four months or something. By the way, I've always prefered a fresh XP install (it never took me more than 2 hours of time, format+install+setup) to a supposed-to-be-stable system restore (which is still a concept for me, since I never used it).

mrsabidji

you can config it to use how much HD space you want, fortunately - and it always starts off at waaay too much. Anyway, I would normally prefer to do that repair option that reinstalls default drivers for everything than sys restore, but its always nice to have that card up your sleeve when you're out of options...

mrsabidji
09-23-03, 03:41 PM
I use a really cool soft at work called ImageCast. It generates an image of pre-selected drive/partitions (compressed and all) and thus can re-install your whole config via HDD/CD/network in minutes... So once your system is set up and stable with all recent drivers and stuffs, you just generate a new image, save it and voila. I try never to use microsoft system management tools (apart from defrag, chkdsk and the other classic ones) having had too much problems with M$ stuff in general (long long story :) ).

mrsabidji

serAph
09-23-03, 03:44 PM
I use a really cool soft at work called ImageCast. It generates an image of pre-selected drive/partitions (compressed and all) and thus can re-install your whole config via HDD/CD/network in minutes... So once your system is set up and stable with all recent drivers and stuffs, you just generate a new image, save it and voila. I try never to use microsoft system management tools (apart from defrag, chkdsk and the other classic ones) having had too much problems with M$ stuff in general (long long story :) ).

mrsabidji

yup. M$ and their greeeeedy little hands. Thats the main reason I hate ATi as well as nVidia - nVidia stole $500 from me (i bought a 5900) and ATi is hellbent on helping M$ cram Direct3D down our throats when we'd prolly be better off w/ OpenGL.

DirtySanchez
09-23-03, 03:48 PM
How does imagecast compare to Norton Ghost? I've never used it before.

mrsabidji
09-23-03, 03:58 PM
yup. M$ and their greeeeedy little hands. Thats the main reason I hate ATi as well as nVidia - nVidia stole $500 from me (i bought a 5900) and ATi is hellbent on helping M$ cram Direct3D down our throats when we'd prolly be better off w/ OpenGL.

The main advantage of OpenGL over DirectX is an OGL app can be easily ported to any OS (hence the name : Open Graphic Library (to my understanding)), whereas DX apps are restricted to be running on M$ supported OSes (try installing Dx9 (or even 8.1) on a win95 based config...). I guess it's not a problem for the average PC gamer though...

mrsabidji

mrsabidji
09-23-03, 04:00 PM
How does imagecast compare to Norton Ghost? I've never used it before.

I think it's basically the same thing. I never used Norton Ghost, but I had very positive reports on it from friends.

mrsabidji

edit : ImageCast is mainly network oriented, you can restore as many images you want at the same time and setup different network configurations using the same image. I guess that's what makes them different.

micronX
09-23-03, 07:12 PM
and ATi is hellbent on helping M$ cram Direct3D down our throats when we'd prolly be better off w/ OpenGL.
I crack up every time you say that:lame:

serAph
09-23-03, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by micronX

Too cool for me! :rolleyes: :D

lemme guess - yer one of those n00bs that thinks OpenGL is dead. *laughs*

mrsabidji
09-24-03, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by micronX

I agree with what SerAph said. You know, D3d may have made a lot of game developers lives easier lately, but it's basically an efficient way M$ found to try and control the games/graphic-cards market. I guess we'll have to deal with it anyway, just like we have to deal with everything that comes from M$, but would we have stick to OpenGL, there would prolly be a lot more games ported to Linux. Games are the main (if not the only) reason why I'm actually running XP Pro instead of another less expensive OS. I'm not the only one, I know it and so does M$.

mrsabidji

serAph
09-24-03, 08:40 AM
I agree with what SerAph said. You know, D3d may have made a lot of game developers lives easier lately, but it's basically an efficient way M$ found to try and control the games/graphic-cards market. I guess we'll have to deal with it anyway, just like we have to deal with everything that comes from M$, but would we have stick to OpenGL, there would prolly be a lot more games ported to Linux. Games are the main (if not the only) reason why I'm actually running XP Pro instead of another less expensive OS. I'm not the only one, I know it and so does M$.

mrsabidji

and on that note:

Doom3 will be simultaneously released for linux.

:D

mrsabidji
09-24-03, 09:05 AM
Like almost every Id game since DooM... I really like these guys ;) .

mrsabidji

edit : er... I was thinking... what was the topic yet ? :D

serAph
09-24-03, 09:09 AM
Like almost every Id game since DooM... I really like these guys ;) .

mrsabidji

edit : er... I was thinking... what was the topic yet ? :D

hehe - its ok - the problem that needed resolution in this thread already resolved itself and then some ;)