PDA

View Full Version : New toy

stncttr908
09-21-03, 11:08 PM
Just got me a Leadtek Winfast TV/2000 XP card and I love this thing already. What are some recording settings/formats you'd recommend for good quality/file size ratio? Thanks!

mrsabidji
09-22-03, 07:27 AM
Recording :
MJPEG max quality settings at highest res possible (ie 720x540 (or 536 depending on what values are accepted by the codec) offers good quality)

Final Compression :
DivX pro 5.1 2-pass bi-directional at any bitrate you like (depends on the final file size you're aiming at) in any res you want (the higher, the better). You can also reduce resolution a bit, that will offer better rendering quality at a same bitrate. Don't forget to cut away the black borders.

mrsabidji

PS : if you want more precise/longer/detailed explanations/tips, well just ask. I've tried not to be too specific here...

stncttr908
09-22-03, 07:42 AM
I tried MJPEG but noticed the recording was a little choppy. Also, what audio do you recommend? I was just using MPEG-3 but I might give AC3 a try, that's a pretty good codec I hear.

mrsabidji
09-22-03, 08:23 AM
MJPEG being choppy : depends on the codec you use. PICVIDEO codec is alright for example.

AC3 codec provides great quality output but it's not always necessary. For a simple stereo stream, I'd rather use the good old PCM format when recording, then I'd compress it to mp3/ogg-vorbis in the final file.

Note that even stereo isn't always necessary, you could save some more megabytes (or double quality for the same bitrate/final size) by switching to mono.

mrsabidji

PS : if your card/driver allows you to, you could also try recording in MPEG1/2 in high-quality settings. It gives great results most of the time. As for frame rate, it depends on the video-source format you're recording (NTSC=30fps (15 for regular cartoons), PAL/SECAM=25fps (12.5 for regular cartoons)).

PPS : it's important that you deinterlace your source video-stream. It saves place and ups quality a little bit. You could give inverse-telecine filters a try too, when encoding cartoons.

saturnotaku
09-22-03, 09:37 AM
Can a device like that be used to play/record TV programs off a satellite dish? I have DirecTV at home, and I have my own receiver.

digitalwanderer
09-22-03, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
Can a device like that be used to play/record TV programs off a satellite dish? I have DirecTV at home, and I have my own receiver.
In my experience if it's a device that can be hooked up to a tv then it's generally a device that can be hooked up to a tv-card, it's just figuring out how. :) (My tv-card has cable, digital-cable, VCR, & a camera feed running to it. ;) )

The Baron
09-22-03, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
If you mean like attach the coax from the satellite directly to it, no. You need a receiver to decode it. But, yes, you can attach a receiver to it and view its output just fine (but you just need a video capture card for that).

The BEST solution is to find a Hughes HDVR2, install telnet/ftp on it, and attach a USB network card, and voila. Instant Tivo show dumping. :D

Malfunction
02-05-04, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by stncttr908
Just got me a Leadtek Winfast TV/2000 XP card and I love this thing already. What are some recording settings/formats you'd recommend for good quality/file size ratio? Thanks!

I just ordered the same card today as well as a Plextor Black 8X DVD-RW/+RW Drive, Model PX-708A/SW-BL (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-131-311&catalog=5&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1). :D Planning on putting some old VHS vids on DVD+R so the originals don't get destroyed/archiving. Really excited about it too, I'd like to hear problems you've discoved and solutions if anyone who owns one has any.

So excited, can't wait now...lol.

Peace,

:afro: