PDA

View Full Version : I'm closing down NFI & GPU:RW.

Pages : [1] 2

Uttar
09-22-03, 12:40 PM
I thought I'd post this here too...

http://www.notforidiots.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47

Hey everyone,

No, I'm not kidding.
I'm closing NFI and GPU:RW ( well, I'll use the NFI domain for other stuff in the future I believe, not GPU-related though ).

Why? Multiple reasons:
1. I want to work on some other stuff...
2. This is taking me a lot of time, and with school and other things I'd like to do, I believe I could probably use this time better.
3. GPUs here, GPUs there, my interest for them, while still being pretty big, is nowhere as big as it was, let's say, early this year.

That means I'll be closing down the NFI forums and GPU:RW, applicable whenever I feel like actually changing the scripts to reflect it ;)
I'll probably be an awful lot less active in the whole GPU community too.

Thanks everyone, it has been nice to do this while it lasted!

Uttar

I know I had promised somewhere in a thread to write an editorial about some stuff. I obviously won't do that now.

But perhaps I can summarize it, after all:
I could never have imagined before how right Scott Adams really is.

Okay, so that's awfully condensed, I'm not giving any facts to explain it, and it's probably exagerated. But, IMO at least, it holds a great amount of truth.
Please, if you're concerned by this, don't take it badly. Why would anyone care about what I'm saying here, anyway? Pretty much like listening to a newly retired soldier about the future of the army :D

Uttar

TheTaz
09-22-03, 12:46 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!! :(

I'd like to thank you for the work you've done. Was an excellent way to keep up on things.

Regards,

Taz

digitalwanderer
09-22-03, 12:48 PM
Oh man, I'll miss your site Uttar! :(

I get your comment, and I'm sorry for your disillusionment. Nothing sucks worse than finding out your idols have feet-o-clay. :(

G'luck Uttar, please don't be a stranger to the boards though even if you don't decide to contribute as often...I'd miss your sense-o-humor. :)

volt
09-22-03, 12:49 PM
I'm concerned! You brought us great rumors and speculations man! :D Good luck.

GlowStick
09-22-03, 12:50 PM
aye nfi was very good!

sorry to see it go : (

Slappi
09-22-03, 12:51 PM
:cry:

ragejg
09-22-03, 12:54 PM
Ugh...

The GPU: RW ***IS*** a great concept, and should somehow be continued... SOMEHOW...

Look, I didn't visit it that much, but I always thought it to be a great concept and an innovative addition to the graphics card community.

Your contributions to this community (and at other forums) are always appreciated... your forum demeanor IMO is to be looked up to.

Maybe somehow the GPU: RW can be continued somehow by someone else (or some staff somewhere) who can sanely keep it running, and keep the info up-to-date...??

At times it was the go-to place for some racy info...

It still can be...

:)

Slappi
09-22-03, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by ragejg
Ugh...

The GPU: RW ***IS*** a great concept, and should somehow be continued... SOMEHOW...

Look, I didn't visit it that much, but I always thought it to be a great concept and an innovative addition to the raphics card community.

Your contributions to this community (and at other forums) are always appreciated... your forum demeanor IMO is to be looked up to.

Maybe somehow the GPU: RW can be continued somehow by someone else (or some staff somewhere) who can sanely keep it running, and keep the info up-to-date...??

At times it was the go-to place for some racy info...

It still can be...

:)

I could put $10,000 us towards it if some people were really serious about it and maybe looking into a partnership.

ragejg
09-22-03, 12:59 PM
:angel2: MikeC?? :angel2:

I could make $50/month payments!! :rolleyes: :D

...Let's incorporate it into nvnews!!

mrsabidji
09-22-03, 01:01 PM
And there goes one of my favorite sites/forums...
I guess you have good reasons to do so Uttar and I respect your decision. Big thanks for creating it anyway and good luck on your new projects.

mrsabidji

Slappi
09-22-03, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Slappi
I could put $10,000 us towards it if some people were really serious about it and maybe looking into a partnership.

And if someone was VERY VERY SERIOUS I could get my hands on up to $100,000 but it would have to be SERIOUS.... I mean REALLY SERIOUS!

GlowStick
09-22-03, 01:02 PM
10,000 US Dollers, whoa!

Id think all you need is a website, witch is pritty cheep, or just bum it off some free site, or even the webspace that you get from your isp : O

maybe a nice php designer could donate some time and whip up a nice script that you can just add news to easy!

Slappi
09-22-03, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by GlowStick
10,000 US Dollers, whoa!

Id think all you need is a website, witch is pritty cheep, or just bum it off some free site, or even the webspace that you get from your isp : O

maybe a nice php designer could donate some time and whip up a nice script that you can just add news to easy!

Expansion baby expansion ..... I would want full on reviews and no BS, interviews and such.... No nV BS no sellingout non of that shiznit.

mrsabidji
09-22-03, 01:06 PM
Er... expansion ?
I liked it the way it was, actually...

mrsabidji

ClyssaN
09-22-03, 01:09 PM
Good Luck Uttar.

MuFu ? :)

GlowStick
09-22-03, 01:09 PM
Expansion baby expansion ..... I would want full on reviews and no BS, interviews and such.... No nV BS no sellingout non of that shiznit. Heh, i think trying to start a hardware review site would be very unprofitible, alot of them dont make any money : \

Id say just get some volunteers that can make a good web page, and some good writers and hten you can have your own site for the cost of hosting withc isnt that bad.

Slappi
09-22-03, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by mrsabidji
Er... expansion ?
I liked it the way it was, actually...

mrsabidji

That's fine but who would get the inside contacts?

AthlonXP1800
09-22-03, 01:17 PM
Noooooo :( :cry:

Uttar, why not hire your friends to run NFI? :D

digitalwanderer
09-22-03, 01:17 PM
That's fine but who would get the inside contacts?
That's what you hire soon-to-be-over-paid-consultants like myself for... ;)

Uttar
09-22-03, 01:19 PM
Talk about making the thread grow fast ;)
Thanks for the encouragements though everyone!

BTW...

Clyssan: Nah, the last thing MuFu needs is worrying too much about this stuff. He better focus on school, hehe.

Digi: Don't worry, probably won't be a stranger to the board :) But I swear I'll limit myself to 50 posts ( big maximum, probably will do less ) a month all over the GPU forums ;) Maybe less as time passes, we'll see.

As for continuing GPU:RW. Well, feel free to do so. I won't contribute this time around though ;) The script ain't that complex, you know!

Uttar

mrsabidji
09-22-03, 01:22 PM
How was your math test today, by the way Uttar ?:)

mrsabidji

Uttar
09-22-03, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by mrsabidji
How was your math test today, by the way Uttar ?:)

mrsabidji

The teacher was sick.
So, to explain the situation:
11:55->14:40, I could go out of school. I was supposed to come back at 14:40 and then school finished at 15:30.

:rolleyes: Yeah right. I'm gonna come back for 50 mins alright, with 15 mins to go back to school and 15 mins to go back to my home?
That's a HUGE overhead! I mean, we complain about the NV3x register usage overhead, and yet I should accept this type of BS?! Never! :D

In other news, I've recently learnt I was the only one who didn't come for those last 50 mins :cool:

Uttar

P.S.: None of that is fiction.

maxbero
09-22-03, 01:54 PM
Sorry to hear that Uttar :(,
thanks for your work.

mrsabidji
09-22-03, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Uttar
The teacher was sick.
So, to explain the situation:
11:55->14:40, I could go out of school. I was supposed to come back at 14:40 and then school finished at 15:30.

:rolleyes: Yeah right. I'm gonna come back for 50 mins alright, with 15 mins to go back to school and 15 mins to go back to my home?
That's a HUGE overhead! I mean, we complain about the NV3x register usage overhead, and yet I should accept this type of BS?! Never! :D

In other news, I've recently learnt I was the only one who didn't come for those last 50 mins :cool:

Uttar

P.S.: None of that is fiction.

Yeah, I was in that kind of situation quite a lot of times in my school days :) . And see where that brought me : stupid job, low salary, no friends... Nah, just kidding, everythings fine :p .Well I hope no one's gonna be mad at you now.

mrsabidji

euan
09-22-03, 02:19 PM
See what happens when you get a girlfriend. pft! :rolleyes: