PDA

View Full Version : FX and tv tuner?

myanimator
09-23-03, 01:27 AM
Hey all,

I've had my 5900 Ultra for awhile now and I was just wondering if there was any way to use the VIVO as a TV tuner, or if there was a simple app for this?

I know w/ video editing programs, like premiere, I can digitize through it, but I needed something that would show a constant stream from the A/V cables attached to it.

Any ideas?

thx - much appreciated :)

mrsabidji
09-23-03, 01:59 AM
Try FlyDS, a TV software which works with about any 8x8 based tuner out there.

mrsabidji

gstanford
09-24-03, 07:01 AM
VIVO has no tuner capabilities (due to their being no tuner module present on the cards). You will need to hook a VCR up to the card and use that to tune to the stations.

VIVO cards use philips based tv chips, not BT/conexant 8x8 based chips, so the utility suggested probably would not help even if there was a tuner onboard.

mrsabidji
09-24-03, 07:17 AM
Actually, I think it would. It can deal with any video stream sent to it as long as you've got the proper WDM driver installed and you configure it correctly. I'm using it with my VCR hooked to my TV card, thus not using my TV tuner at all. My first post was not precise enough indeed. My mistake, sorry.

mrsabidji

myanimator
09-24-03, 11:35 AM
I should've been more clearer in my original post too.

I am using a VCR as the tuner. I'm just looking for a way to display that stream like a TVtuner would on the computer.

Any (other) ideas?

particleman
09-24-03, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by mrsabidji
Actually, I think it would. It can deal with any video stream sent to it as long as you've got the proper WDM driver installed and you configure it correctly. I'm using it with my VCR hooked to my TV card, thus not using my TV tuner at all. My first post was not precise enough indeed. My mistake, sorry.

mrsabidji

gstanford is right, the GFFX's with VIVO can only take video in. That means it can only take signals from a VCR, a cable box with composite or s-video outputs, camcorder, or console. The signal coming in MUST be s-video or composite. It cannot take a coaxial cable tv signal.

mrsabidji
09-24-03, 06:36 PM
I'm still saying that could work... look : I have the VCR hooked to my TV-cards video-in via a composite cable. It doesn't use the tuner at all. Plus FlyDS can display any video-stream (PAL/NTSC/SECAM) from any source (s-video/composite/tv-tuner). I tried it with my former 4200 VIVO once and it actually worked. I'm only using my tv-card because the drivers are more stable than nividia's.

mrsabidji

myanimator
09-24-03, 06:43 PM
I'll have to mess around with it somemore. I can't get any stream coming in to display at all in Premiere or FlyDS right now.

Any helpful hints for those of you who have tried it before? I haven't had VIVO on a card since 97, so I'm a bit out of touch with it all.

thx

mrsabidji
09-24-03, 06:47 PM
Did you install nvidia's latest WDM drivers ?

mrsabidji

myanimator
09-24-03, 08:55 PM
I just installed them (thought that stuff was in the normal detonator actually) and now w/ premiere it says something else is using the device. I have dual display...any idea if that could mess up VIVO? It would suck if it did but who knows. Still nothing on FlyDS

mrsabidji
09-25-03, 01:02 AM
Hmmm... I don't think dual display can mess up VIVO. I think WDM drivers use overlay to display the video-stream sent to the card, so you may check no other application is using it when running Premiere/FlyDS. You may also try to run FlyDS in safe-mode and see if it helps (safe mode can be turned on in FlyDS control panel). Also check that both softwares are actually set to use composite video-in. Any other app using Directshow should be turned off to avoid any conflict. I can't think of anything else, right now (plus I'd better be going if I don't want to be late at work ;) ). I'll check my own configuration and see if I forgot something when I'm back. Good luck.

mrsabidji

theultimo
09-25-03, 11:32 PM
:confused: I didnt know the VIVO was a brooktree chipset?

All ive got is a hauppage WINtv...