PDA

View Full Version : new DooM III preview/screenshots at Gamespy

Pages : [1] 2

mrsabidji
09-23-03, 06:14 PM
I was browsing warp2search when I found this link (http://www.gamespy.com/previews/september03/doom3pc/). Fileplanet's public servers are kind of full right now though...
Enjoy :D ...

mrsabidji

Pafet
09-23-03, 08:47 PM
Same here (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/doom3/preview_6075567.html) - from gamespot

LiquidX
09-23-03, 10:22 PM
For some reason the more of DOOM3 I see, the less impressed I am. Doesnt do it anymore.:(

nrdstrm
09-24-03, 12:05 AM
So far I agree. Doom 3 just isn't cutting it when compared with HL2. Although it doesn't really matter as I'll be playing at least HL2 on my GeCrapFX 5900U. Hurry NV40 and R420 so I can make my decision!!!
Nrdstrm

mrsabidji
09-24-03, 03:59 AM
Hmm... I still prefer the way DooM III looks, but being an old Id fan (as some of you might already know) I guess my opinion may be a little biased. Any opinion on which game looks better is bound to be biased by the way, as it's totally subjective. At the end of the day, I think it doesn't really matter since you can buy both games and and enjoy each for its own particularities.

mrsabidji

Nutty
09-24-03, 04:59 AM
For some reason the more of DOOM3 I see, the less impressed I am.

For me its the other way around. I think HL2 is just a bodge of technologies. Theres no consistancy to anything.

nVidi0t
09-24-03, 05:35 AM
I disagree with post 3 and 4. I think it's looking more and more cinematic with each new batch of screenshots. It even makes HL2 look dated.

mrsabidji
09-24-03, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by Nutty
For me its the other way around. I think HL2 is just a bodge of technologies. Theres no consistancy to anything.

I kind of think the same. Latest HL2 videos rather looked like Dx9 tech demos to me. But I think I'll wait till the final version is out before expressing a final opinion.
I wonder what's taking Id so long, anyway. Those screenshots looked pretty satisfying to me... but, hey, JC surely knows what he's doing and I guess the more we'll have to wait, the more amazing DooM III will be :) .

mrsabidji

Smokey
09-24-03, 06:19 AM
Well im 100% gamer, and I think both games are going to be great, I still believe though that RavenShield will be my MP game of choice. The only MP game that im waiting for is STALKER ;)

StealthHawk
09-24-03, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by LiquidX
For some reason the more of DOOM3 I see, the less impressed I am. Doesnt do it anymore.:(

The longer I have to wait the more unimpressed I am. I remember drooling over the Doom3 demo at some Mac event 3 years ago :(

At least the game looks a lot more polished than it looked a year ago.

sxotty
09-24-03, 09:02 AM
I think it is a matter of athestics and nothing more, I too think D3 looks much better than HL2, but they both look good and I will buy both. The gritty dark atmosphere of d3 is much more compelling than a copy of praha, prague whatever to me. And last time valve tried to make maps of "another dimension" well it was prett funny suffice it to say.:angel:

Voudoun
09-24-03, 09:25 AM
Screenshot (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/doom3/screens_6075567.html?page=1)

The graphics are obviously much better, but this shot could almost be from any of the Quake games. PC Gamer in the UK said of Quake II vs Quake I: `Not brown.' They said the same of Quake III vs Quake II. Maybe they'll say the same of Doom III vs Quake III. I know it's only one map and of course others look very different, but it was depressing to check these new screenshots only to see another `32 bit colour, 31 of them brown' shot.

My feeling is that however good Doom III looks, Half-Life 2 is more likely to be the better game. The Doom III article in PC Gamer 2nd half of last year turned me off, because on one page there was a `big' quote from Todd Hollenshead if I remember right : `There are different ways the blood flies off.' My initial reaction to that was that there's a bit more to making a game than getting the blood splattering correctly and creating good lighting. There is more to Doom III I'm sure (I hope!), but that was my initial reaction.

Best thing to do though is wait and see. I'll have my hands on Half-Life 2 as soon as I can, but I'll wait for a demo of Doom III. The proof is in the playing!

Voudoun

mrsabidji
09-24-03, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Voudoun
The graphics are obviously much better, but this shot could almost be from any of the Quake games. PC Gamer in the UK said of Quake II vs Quake I: `Not brown.' They said the same of Quake III vs Quake II. Maybe they'll say the same of Doom III vs Quake III. I know it's only one map and of course others look very different, but it was depressing to check these new screenshots only to see another `32 bit colour, 31 of them brown' shot.

Well, there's an obvious reason why outside DooM III maps mostly show brown colors : DooM's action takes place on Mars. I haven't been on Mars for quite a long time, but as far as I can remember, everything there was rather brown too ;) .

mrsabidji

Vash
09-24-03, 10:05 AM
There's been a round of previews just this week actually, where gaming sites were taken through the single player game by Todd.

After clearing these areas, we came upon a downed marine who indicated that he wasn't "going to make it" but encouraged us to find the means to call Earth for support. This, Hollenshead explained, is one of the game's major goals. We took a closer look at the marine's face, which was convincingly contorted in pain, thanks to Doom 3's highly detailed skeletal face modeling, then made note of his remarks in our PDA. You carry a pocket computer to make note of important hints that characters give you. It also provides you with updated objectives and security clearance keys, and both are sent via e-mail.

While Quake 3 was very straight forward gameplay-wise, it's sounding like id is making Doom 3 a more immersive, HL-style experience. The various articles that were posted on Shacknews (www.shacknews.com) the other day show that they're interested in making D3 what Hollenshead was "an interactive horror film."

While they have been a touch behind the gameplay curve (they *like* straight deathmatching and like making games about it), D3 looks like they're moving with the times. It's gonna be a great game.

Voudoun
09-24-03, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by mrsabidji
Well, there's an obvious reason why outside DooM III maps mostly show brown colors : DooM's action takes place on Mars. I haven't been on Mars for quite a long time, but as far as I can remember, everything there was rather brown too ;) .

mrsabidji

True of course. I just had a `not more bloody brown!' moment. :)

Voudoun

Voudoun
09-24-03, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Vash
There's been a round of previews just this week actually, where gaming sites were taken through the single player game by Todd.

While Quake 3 was very straight forward gameplay-wise, it's sounding like id is making Doom 3 a more immersive, HL-style experience. The various articles that were posted on Shacknews (www.shacknews.com) the other day show that they're interested in making D3 what Hollenshead was "an interactive horror film."

While they have been a touch behind the gameplay curve (they *like* straight deathmatching and like making games about it), D3 looks like they're moving with the times. It's gonna be a great game.

I've yet to be convinced, even having read 2 of the articles. I haven't seen anything in it that grabs me yet. I don't think it'll be a bad game, I'm just not convinced that it'll be a great game.

There was an interesting bit in the Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=53303) article.

`Admittedly, it wasn't in the same league of impressiveness as anything Valve showed off in its Half-Life 2 footage, but at least it shows Id keen to prove that this element of the game will be an important facet rather than a purely cosmetic way of showing enemies falling down stairs.

What was perhaps telling was Hollenshead's refusal to address the subject of physics in any detail. Asked how Id's solution compares to Valve's, Hollenshead spat: "you'll have to ask Valve that". Although he expanded the answer to "Valve's physics is a mod of the Havok 2 physics engine. Ours is a proprietary solution".

That's all true, and Id's solution may well be far superior....'

I thought that was written very strangely. One paragraph the writer seems to be saying Valve's is better, 2 later he thinks that Id's may be better.:confused:

Voudoun

ToxicFool
09-24-03, 01:46 PM
I can't wait to get my hands on this. I hear people complain about low polygon models and bad textures... people are saying things like "if i can't handle high polygon model it sucks!" or something near that. Carmack has always impressed me with his abilities... hes a damn rocket scientist and hes dedicated to making a well coded game.

I think Doom3 looks great and its graphics remind me of RE for GCN.. well sorta. I am willing to bet that game will make me crap my pants in fear :)

Sure HL2 is going to be cool but I am more hyped over D3. I want both though.

Voudoun
09-24-03, 06:05 PM
Gabe bites (http://www.penny-arcade.com/)

Voudoun

Vash
09-25-03, 08:46 AM
Yeah - I'm a Penny Arcade fan, but every now and again one or both of them say/do something pretty stupid. This is a good example. Okay, so the creature design ain't like laying eyes on your first H.R. Geiger artwork. So what?

The real mistake here is saying that no one creative works at id. Over the years, they have had some very creative people - and I believe they have some there currently - their focus, however, has been on deathmatch for a long time. I mean, they freakin' invented it. If I had come up with something that became so prevalent so quickly, I'd be focusing on it too, I think.

id always makes what they set out to make. Perhaps this is a fallacy, but their games feel like they sat down one day and said, "This is the game we want to make" and then they never, ever, ever deviate from that. And after reading "Masters of Doom", I'd say that this is Carmack's fault. The whole team argued with the C-man for months over adding the ability to have secret passages in Wolfenstein 3D and then finally gave up. One day they sat down to look at what he'd completed the other day and he demoed a secret passage and then said, "Yeah, I added it a month ago. You guys convinced me."

Carmack likes simplicity - "too much clutter = ruined game dynamic" is his mindset. Another example: someone on the D3 team suggested that they allow the player to be able to open drawers. Carmack said no, as it wouldn't add anything to the game. There was no reason for it.

D3 will be a good game; might even be a great game. I'm really looking forward to it. But I don't think they're going to be doing anything revolutionary when it comes to gameplay: Carmack doesn't seem to be the kind of person to allow it. Perhaps this is financial, perhaps it isn't.

But it's gonna be lots of fun, and it's going to be a departure from anything that we've seen id do before. That's got me excited. But so does the idea that id's going to be doing something completely different afterwords - not in the FPS genre.

Voudoun
09-25-03, 01:51 PM
I don't agree with everything they say (but it's funny to watch them go ballistic every now and then!) One thing I do think they've got a point with though is why not just create engines? They're great at it. It's no shame to just create tools to allow other people to work, particularly when you have a reputation for creating some of the best in the business.

Still, they're making games and I think Doom III will be good. To say there's no-one creative there is going too far for me, but on the other hand, from what little I've seen of both games, I'm not sure they're as creative as Valve or applying their own tools as well.

But wait and see. I have higher expectations of Half-Life 2 and I feel the story/tone of the game will be more to my taste, but that won't stop me checking out a demo of Doom III.

Voudoun

nVidi0t
09-25-03, 02:03 PM
Everyone bash ID for the shades they use in their games... jeez.

Quake was in dungeons/warehouses...

Quake 2 was on Stroggos which was being bombed and raided... and was pretty much a warzone.

Quake 3 was pretty colorful. People may disagree but they used a pretty big range of color through the maps. But people bashed it for being predominantly red, but I think that's what gave the game it's signiture image.

Doom 3 is based on Mars. The outdoor levels look perfect. If anyone has played the Alpha, they can vouch for me when I say that the indoor environments use a great range of colors. Pretty much perfect for an indoor industrial environment.

Doom 3 will own. Everyone wants to bash it and say HL2 will be better. Who cares? Both look GREAT, and they are bringing completely different things to the table.

Nutty
09-25-03, 02:06 PM
I kinda agree with JC on this one. What would be the point of opening drawers?

Theres a saying that goes something like, do a few things, but do them well.

The more you narrow the scope of what you're doing, the more you can concentrate on the elements you are putting into the game. He got rid of the use button, so now when you go upto buttons or screens, the weapon goes down, and you use your trigger button. It makes it simpler, and yet loses nothing.

If they had put drawers in, it would've been more work for artists, higher poly counts in scenes, for the drawers n stuff, which the average gamer prolly wont even see. Its just simplifying so you can concentrate on the good stuff, rather than getting bogged down in loads of tiny features.

mrsabidji
09-25-03, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by nVidi0t
Doom 3 will own. Everyone wants to bash it and say HL2 will be better. Who cares? Both look GREAT, and they are bringing completely different things to the table.

Yep, both also look very different. I don't really see the point in trying to determine which one looks better, it's only a question of feelings. Same thing with the gameplay, story, whatever you could think of. I mean, we should all celebrate since we'll be playing two great titles during the forthcoming months. Plus they won't be released at the same time which means we won't even have to chose which one we'll buy over the other one.
As for the lack of creativity, well... have you ever seen such beautiful monsters ? Every new screenshot is basically a work of art. Id may have gathered some of the bests artists on the game scene to work on this project. But then again, it's also kind of subjective I guess.

mrsabidji

Vash
09-25-03, 02:21 PM
Nutty - yeah, I agree with you about the drawers. Just trying to pull up as many examples as I could think of.

And yeah, Doom 3's visuals are spot-on. I'm psyched. It's gonna have a home on my PC for years to come.

mrsabidji
09-25-03, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Vash
Carmack likes simplicity - "too much clutter = ruined game dynamic" is his mindset. Another example: someone on the D3 team suggested that they allow the player to be able to open drawers. Carmack said no, as it wouldn't add anything to the game. There was no reason for it.

Originally posted by Nutty
The more you narrow the scope of what you're doing, the more you can concentrate on the elements you are putting into the game. He got rid of the use button, so now when you go upto buttons or screens, the weapon goes down, and you use your trigger button. It makes it simpler, and yet loses nothing.

I think it just demonstrates JC's talent when it comes to games. Nothing you could had would make them better, or funnier and every feature combines with each other to give you the best gaming experience. DooM III will be The Ultimate FPS, at least I guess that's what he's aiming at... perfection.
I just can't wait until it's out. :D

mrsabidji