PDA

View Full Version : Can Graphic chip companies like Nvidia Really effect game debuts

fingermouth
09-23-03, 09:09 PM
Ive read the thread about HL2 and one thread said something about nvida wining about Hl2 and making availble in February. Can a Graphics Card Chip comapny have any say as when games are released? I don't think they should because there not the ones who make the games they just produce the image quality for the games but my point is they can't have any say so in Game title releases at all but sounds like Hl1 maybe moved till 2004 beucase of a cry baby "Nvidia".

digitalwanderer
09-23-03, 09:32 PM
It'll be available Sept 30th in some form or another, I'd highly suggest ignoring rumors 'til after the 30th.

nVidia just wants to delay the game until they can get a real dx9 card to market, but it ain't going to happen. ;)

fingermouth
09-23-03, 09:44 PM
But are they allowed to do that cause a delay? Its not nvidia product its vavles product nvidia can't do a damn thing about execpt bitch.

digitalwanderer
09-23-03, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by fingermouth
But are they allowed to do that cause a delay? Its not nvidia product its vavles product nvidia can't do a damn thing about execpt bitch.
CAN they? No way, no way in hell. You are correct that it is NOT nVidia's call to make.

In fact, since ATi is now the official graphic company of Half-life2 (or whatever term their using which I space, ATi bought the rights to include Half-life2 with their new cards) it pretty much makes Valve bullet-proof from pressure from nVidia along with giving them a good reason to NOT do as nVidia asks. :)

I'm really looking forward to the 30th of this month, it's gonna be interesting. :cool:

GlowStick
09-23-03, 11:58 PM
Yeah, but there is one REALLLLY good rumor about HL2

I'm actually very excited and sad to post this. Doug Lombardi, big wig from Valve has replied to my question concerning the release date. The email originated from his email address, but it may be a fake, although it is highly unlikely. He confirms Half-Life 2 is being delayed beyond September 30th to an unknown date.
The previously announced September 30th release date for Half-Life 2 is being pushed back. We are currently targeting a holiday release, but do not have a specific "in-store" date to share at this time. We will release that information as soon as we have confirmed a new date.
We will keep you posted on any further news regarding this topic, as well as the confirmed authenticity of this email from Doug Lombardi.

"Today, September 23rd, 2003 - a date which will live in infamy - the game Half-Life 2 was suddenly and deliberately delayed by Valve Software."

...All in good fun--we respect Valve and their decision on the release date of Half-Life 2.

Anyways, this can be confirmed easily by a confrimed REAL statement by Gabe Newell himself, it went something like

No, we wont just drop the bomb on the HL community, we will annouce its sept. 30 release, it wont just show up in stores.

In my mind, the last day you could 'not drop the bomb' and say its gold was Monday the 22.

Oviously, our last hope would be that VALVE considers announcing HL2 on Setember 29 will be on time, NOT droping the bomb.

ooooooo rumors good tastey rumors!

Edge
09-24-03, 01:46 AM
nVidia just wants to delay the game until they can get a real dx9 card to market, but it ain't going to happen.

Eh, more like Nvidia bashers just used it as an excuse to bash Nvidia even more. Seriously people, can't you find enough things to ridicule Nvidia about WITHOUT making things up :rolleyes:

Anyway, while videocard manufacturers could influence game release dates, in the end it is totally up to the developer. But almost all of the time, any "partnership" between video card manufacturers and developers only means that a game is packed in with a certain card, or that it has a big "Use this hardware to make your game run fast3r!" picture in the intro or something (I HATE the way the newest Planetside patch puts a "Runs great on Pentium 4!" icon in the corner of the loading screens). Video card manufacturers wouldn't have the power to delay a game, unless they're putting much of their own money into it to develop it, in which case they are no longer just video card manufacturers, but also financial backers (which will give them some control over the product). Though for as much as Nvidia has supposedly put into Doom 3, don't you think they would've forced ID to release the game this year to compete with HL2?

fingermouth
09-24-03, 11:00 PM
I would never bash Nvidia i have only nvidia cards and im tired of people bashing nvidia over ati cause ati isn't all that they may have more framerates but nvidia is still a household card maker to me the studd.

marqmajere
09-25-03, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by fingermouth
I would never bash Nvidia i have only nvidia cards and im tired of people bashing nvidia over ati cause ati isn't all that they may have more framerates but nvidia is still a household card maker to me the studd.

What in the wild, crosseyed HELL are you babbling about?!?!:wtf:

That entire post REEKS of fanboyism and I think you need to lay off the cough syrup. ATI has better cards now. It's a proven fact.

As to the topic on hand, of course card companies affect the release of games. Game companies don't want to alienate half of the consumers by conforming to the whim of a single brand of video card. They have to please everyone. That's the idea of making games. I don't even know if this post makes sense. Been up for about 40 hours now. I'll go over it later and rehash what I was really trying to convay in a new and improved post regarding the subject.

GlowStick
09-25-03, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by marqmajere
What in the wild, crosseyed HELL are you babbling about?!?!:wtf:

That entire post REEKS of fanboyism and I think you need to lay off the cough syrup. ATI has better cards now. It's a proven fact.

As to the topic on hand, of course card companies affect the release of games. Game companies don't want to alienate half of the consumers by conforming to the whim of a single brand of video card. They have to please everyone. That's the idea of making games. I don't even know if this post makes sense. Been up for about 40 hours now. I'll go over it later and rehash what I was really trying to convay in a new and improved post regarding the subject. Bingo

Nutty
09-25-03, 03:24 AM
It'll be available Sept 30th in some form or another, I'd highly suggest ignoring rumors 'til after the 30th.

:lol2:

This is valve we're talking about.. anyway, why you making such a post, when they've already offically announced it wont be ready till december?

GlowStick
09-25-03, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Nutty
:lol2:

This is valve we're talking about.. anyway, why you making such a post, when they've already offically announced it wont be ready till december? I dont belive any of the emails, the doug one is just a properly spoofed one.

Anyways, if HL2 is 'gone gold' they will put it on their web site, not 'email' it to a few select half life news sites, i mean geeze, why would they be so dumb, they have a ton of websites that get mega hits.