PDA

View Full Version : Half Life 2 Delay Official

rth
09-24-03, 12:18 AM
from shacknews:

The previously announced September 30th release date for Half-Life 2 is being pushed back. We are currently targeting a holiday release, but do not have a specific "in-store" date to share at this time. We will release that information as soon as we have confirmed a new date.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/28497

jAkUp
09-24-03, 12:22 AM
yes i know dont remind me:( :( :( :(

i just pray its still not true

Greb Jnnayr
09-24-03, 03:08 AM
Ya, I wouldn't call it official. Only 3 web sites are claiming to get an Email for Lombardi (SP?). The email was sent around 940pm Pacific time, well after buisness hours. There has yet been an official press release. Also it is easy to fake an email. Plus niether of these sites are showing a pic of the alleged email. Nothing makes sense.

If this is true, then this was done very unproffesionaly. They led us to believe that the game was coming out on the 30th. Then 6 days before the release they say it is delayed for 2 more months. How could they not know it was going to be delayed weeks before this, especially considering how long it would be delayed for. If it was only going to be a week or two then I would understand not know before this, but 2 months?

Red Dog
09-24-03, 06:47 AM
I hope its a false rumor because I was really looking forward to this game.

Not to mention the fact that Nvidia will get brutalized by people angry that the game was delayed by prolonged nv3x path developement.

Slappi
09-24-03, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by Greb Jnnayr
Ya, I wouldn't call it official. Only 3 web sites are claiming to get an Email for Lombardi (SP?). The email was sent around 940pm Pacific time, well after buisness hours. There has yet been an official press release. Also it is easy to fake an email. Plus niether of these sites are showing a pic of the alleged email. Nothing makes sense.

If this is true, then this was done very unproffesionaly. They led us to believe that the game was coming out on the 30th. Then 6 days before the release they say it is delayed for 2 more months. How could they not know it was going to be delayed weeks before this, especially considering how long it would be delayed for. If it was only going to be a week or two then I would understand not know before this, but 2 months?

That is an understatement.... Valve just trashed nV about being dishonest and then flat out LIED!

Vash
09-24-03, 07:28 AM
I'm not surprised that it's delayed. The simultaneous Half-Life 2/Steam thing is very ambitious, and I would have been completely shocked if it hadn't been delayed. Still...I was hoping. :cool:

This sounds more legit than the other rumors that I've heard going; but the best place to check is the HL2.net forums. Someone over there'll confirm it with Gabe.

And c'mon people... Valve didn't lie. Release dates are actually (anticipated) release dates. They're made up when they think they've got a handle on things. That doesn't mean that they are guaranteeing that it'll be out on that date, but they are saying it'll be out on that date if nothing serious goes wrong. Steam's rollout wasn't nearly as smooth as they were hoping and I'm sure that there's other issues that they're tracking as well. This is the most complicated game release in recent memory and it's not terrible surprise (though I am disappointed) that it didn't go off as planned. They did their best and had they been releasing to stores like everyone else, we'd most likely have Half-Life 2 next week.

sxotty
09-24-03, 07:53 AM
If they are postponing it then they lied. You should not give release dates only to nix them 6 days before that is just childish. As to whether they did this for Nvidia, lets see some ati 9800XT's then we can blame it on nvidia, as of now I think maybe there were not enough ati cards to box it up with.

digitalwanderer
09-24-03, 08:22 AM
I'm going to just wait until the 30th and ask Gabe Newell about it in person, I figure that'll get me the straight skinny. :)

Vash
09-24-03, 08:31 AM
Lie - A false statement deliberately presented as being true; a falsehood. Something meant to deceive or give a wrong impression.

Valve didn't lie. A lie is made with intention to decieve or some other malicious intent. I'm pretty flanging sure that Valve would love to be able to release HL2 next week, but the product isn't up to standard and therefore they don't ship it.

This isn't the first time that a game has been delayed; even a long awaited, popular one like HL2. Release dates are guesstimates, not guarantees.

Originally posted by sxotty
You should not give release dates only to nix them 6 days before that is just childish.

Actually, I'm sure they delayed the game to avoid being childish. If they released a buggy and incomplete game, using a half-broken Steam, that would be unprofessional and possibly childish. The delay is a result of Valve's professionalism - they are committed to providing us the best possible HL2 expierence they can deliver, and at this point it means delaying the game.

Having them nix the release date 6 days before is, however, very disappointing. :(

jAkUp
09-24-03, 08:36 AM
omg omg!!!!!

Return-path: <gaben@valvesoftware.com>
Envelope-to: psychobyte@hl2central.net
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:04:59 +0100
Received: from [203.16.214.181] (helo=smtp1.adl2.internode.on.net)
by server.Tempest2.com with esmtp (Exim 4.23)
id 1A25Zz-0005lk-9y
for psychobyte@hl2central.net; Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:04:59 +0100
Received: from valvesoftware.com (ppp103-47.lns1.adl1.internode.on.net [150.101.103.47])
by smtp1.adl2.internode.on.net (8.12.9/8.12.9) with ESMTP id h8O94CTK053585;
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:34:16 +0930 (CST)
Message-ID: <3F715E5F.2070107@valvesoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:35:35 +0930
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.5a) Gecko/20030718
X-Accept-Language: en-us, en
MIME-Version: 1.0

To: pipeline@beyondhalflife.com, psychobyte@hl2central.net
Subject: HL2 Release Status
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

My apoligies to those affected by the e-mail that made it's way around
news sites in past hours. Unfortunately it was nothing more than a cruel
joke. Doug Lombardi sent no such e-mail.

I can assure you there is no such Half-Life 2 delay, and that details
regarding the release will be made public in coming days. Expect the
tech-demo and SDK to be released on or prior to the 30th.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,
Gabe Newell

panzaman
09-24-03, 08:40 AM
DIgitalwondere what did you mean by:
"For some reason I just have no doubts what-so-ever that I will be playing Half-life2 on the 30th.... "

??...what did you know that u couldn't share with us?

Vash
09-24-03, 08:42 AM
Sorry jAkUp - that one's on another HL2 forum, too - it's fake. The origin IP is somewhere in Australia, and the IP doesn't match Valve's mail servers.

At least, according to the guys over on Hl2central. If it's not a fake, then it'll make its way around the news sites pretty quick.

jAkUp
09-24-03, 08:45 AM
damn:(

Vash
09-24-03, 08:45 AM
But then, if this is a hoax, then the first email might be a hoax too - who knows?

Jeez, my head hurts.

Vash
09-24-03, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by jAkUp
damn:(

No kidding.

Vash
09-24-03, 09:09 AM
Well crap. Here's an email from the Valve Info Only thread at HL2.net. It looks like it is delayed.

Hi.

Yes, I sent that note to Shack.

Sorry it didn't reach the entire press list at once.

And, as you may have guessed, that's all we can say -- for the moment anyway.

Cheers
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 9:46 PM
To: gaben@valvesoftware.com; johnc@valvesoftware.com; erikj@valvesoftware.com; lombardi@valvesoftware.com
Subject: HalfLife2.net wants confirmation.

Hello, I am SpuD from the halflife2.net staff team.

With all this speculation of the release dates and now this magical email that all the sites are reporting about has thrown many into confusion about the release date.

First off, I want to verify this new email that all the sites are posting about.
Second, can you tell me the exact release date now. Hopefully it hasnt changed.

And can you tell Fragmaster to be a mature boy and not rub it in if we beleivers are wrong.

SpuD

LycosV
09-24-03, 10:22 AM
IF the game is not out on the 30th, then they were being dishonest. I'm the first to say that games get delayed, but there were two major differences between Valve's release date and others'. Most other companies it's the publisher who gives unrealistic release dates, and the big one, they give a month or quarter that it'll come out.

Saying that the game WILL be out by September 30, is a big difference from saying that it'll be out in forth quarter of 2003, or even late September. By using a specific day they gave the false impression that they had a set in stone plan to get it out by that day. When Lucasfilm says the next Star Wars comes out on --- it's out on that day, not a week later, not a month later. And anyone who knows the english language and gives a specific date when they aren't sure, IS lieing.

LycosV

nin_fragile14
09-24-03, 03:48 PM
It's real, it's delayed. They lied. Whatever. I'm still going to buy it.

GlowStick
09-24-03, 03:51 PM
Im still lineing up setember 30th, regardless of news.

Ramshambo2001
09-25-03, 10:00 AM
ram has nothing to play.
the ram weeps.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

GlowStick
09-25-03, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Ramshambo2001
ram has nothing to play.
the ram weeps.

:cry: :cry: :cry: I feel your pain!

fastguy94416
09-25-03, 06:12 PM
wait... all they said was the tech demo and SDK would be out on the 30th

GlowStick
09-25-03, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by fastguy94416
wait... all they said was the tech demo and SDK would be out on the 30th yeah and they said those would be avaible before the relase,

: (

Red Dog
09-25-03, 07:17 PM
I just want the sdk released so work can commence on dod for hl2.

stncttr908
09-25-03, 08:49 PM
http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?category=gamers&id=13990

I don't know who to believe. I'll make that decision when I see it on Steam/store shelves. :rolleyes: