PDA

View Full Version : NVidia Abandoning Graphics??

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

1stFlight
09-24-03, 02:16 PM
I just read this..link (http://www.legionhardware.com/html/doc.php?id=261&p=3)

The NVIDIA CEO Jen-Hsun made it quite clear that the graphics industry would no longer be the primary focus point of the company.

Needless to say I found this to be quite stunning. I can't even imagine what would lead him to think this was a good idea.

EDIT: On second thought, it would explain a lot if they've been diverting resources away from the FX line of products. Sad really.

digitalwanderer
09-24-03, 02:23 PM
Or it makes a lot of sense if their graphics division is hemoraging money and doing nothing but ruining their corporate reputation. ;)

sebazve
09-24-03, 02:29 PM
they give up pretty easy:rolleyes: one bad product and thats it no fight back? i guess ATI has all the path clear now

Hellbinder
09-24-03, 02:37 PM
I noticed this also. Some of their Reps were saying things like "We make a lot more than just Graphis cards now you know".

they give up pretty easy one bad product and thats it no fight back

Its more than that. Their engineers completely missed the boat. yes and i mean all the way through the Nv40. Trust me they know it, their OEMs know it to. They are going to take it in the shorts all through next year in teh Graphics market. Their OEMs are leaving in Droves. They are also hurting in the Mobile market and its going to get Way Way Worse. Can you say Mobile chips based on R420 sometime in the Spring next year?

Further they are not a key player in any Consoles anymore, they are not key in developing LH/DX. They do not have a Cross licencing agreement with Intel. The list is long.

Its really to bad. I Only wanted them to Clean up their act and be a decent company. Not Throw in the Towel.

dare_devil
09-24-03, 02:38 PM
maybe, nvidia is planning to do sudden attack.
they give up one product cycle to overthrown ati later on.
nvidia is not a small company, they know what they have to do.

Hellbinder
09-24-03, 02:39 PM
Sorry Devil.. But losing all your main OEM partners to your Direct competitor is no where in the "Dummies Guide to getting ahead in Business". ;)

saturnotaku
09-24-03, 02:43 PM
If this is true, this is bad, bad news. I know no one here wants to see NVIDIA throw in the towel. Like HB said, just a clean-up of their act and better products in the future would have suited all of us just fine.

ATI didn't give up when they were frought with adversity a couple years ago. I hope to God this isn't true because this will wreck the competition between the two brands. And I don't think we can count on XGI, at least for the time being.

As long as NVIDIA can put out kick butt motherboards I'll still buy them, but to get out of graphics is truly disheartening. :(

1stFlight
09-24-03, 02:44 PM
Its more than that. Their engineers completely missed the boat. yes and i mean all the way through the Nv40.

This is definately foretelling, if they're tossing in the towel this early they mustn't have a great deal of hope for the NV40. Time to invest in ATi :(

mrsabidji
09-24-03, 02:44 PM
I don't think they're giving up the graphic cards market, only that they're now going to produce a wider range of multimedia products. That could explain the nv3x 'fiasco' in a way, if that means they already devoted a percentage of their engineers to non-GPU R&D. Not a really good idea, in my opinion, they'd better focus on what they were doing great, or they'll just come up with not-so-good chipsets, not-so-good cell-phone appliances, not-so-good GPUs and so on.

mrsabidji

sebazve
09-24-03, 02:56 PM
ok the nv30 is bad for dx9 but is not that badddddd for todays games. We all bash them cause of the lies/cheats, bad PR, high prices for the perfomance you get, etc thats what they have to fix. The engineers made a mistake on the design but its not the end of the world look at ATI a few years ago and there were even other companies in those years to compete S3, 3dfx, etc but they focus real hard and they finally got it. In my opinion is too early to give up.

:(

euan
09-24-03, 03:12 PM
Any remaining nvidiots should simply transfer to XGI and we'll carry on arguing as normal. But what are be going to call fanboy volari users???

We have Fanatic, and Nvidiot. What can we do for Volari, or XGi? Ehgiot? (as in XGiot) Volidiot (or voldot for short)??? This is going to be difficult. :eek:

randsom
09-24-03, 03:15 PM
Is anybody really suprised at this.

Nvidias been behind the curve in the gfx dept since the x-box.The x-box put them behind and they never recovered, the ti series was just basically just faster x-box tech.In being behind, it gave A.T.I a chance to catch-up, and surpass the big N. A.T.I bought ArtX and hasnt look back since.

Nvidia wont ever be out of the Gfx market, its there bread and butter.Its what got them where they are today. They might get out of the High perfomance, enthusiast market, where they are failing miserably right now. The high -end enthusiast gfx cards dont make squat for money and account for very little of chipset sales.O.E.M 's where the big money is at.

I think Nvidia's going to bounce back from the whole nv3x fiasco, but it might not be in a way that everyone expects.

vampireuk
09-24-03, 03:24 PM
Bah:(

dare_devil
09-24-03, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by randsom

Nvidias been behind the curve in the gfx dept since the x-box.The x-box put them behind and they never recovered, the ti series was just basically just faster x-box tech.In being behind, it gave A.T.I a chance to catch-up, and surpass the big N. A.T.I bought ArtX and hasnt look back since.

Nvidia wont ever be out of the Gfx market, its there bread and butter.Its what got them where they are today. They might get out of the High perfomance, enthusiast market, where they are failing miserably right now. The high -end enthusiast gfx cards dont make squat for money and account for very little of chipset sales.O.E.M 's where the big money is at.

I think Nvidia's going to bounce back from the whole nv3x fiasco, but it might not be in a way that everyone expects.

agreed..... :D

rth
09-24-03, 03:41 PM
the overclocking software ForceWare looks good with lots of settings, but what happens if you f*c* up your card using it?

ChrisW
09-24-03, 03:44 PM
I'm hoping this means they will jump into the sound card market. Someone needs to. Of course, this would mean Creative would stop making GFFX cards which is probably the only reason nVidia hasn't jumped in already.

DorXtar
09-24-03, 03:46 PM
BitBoys to the rescue!! :D

Rampant CL
09-24-03, 03:47 PM
It was seen coming over the horizona long time ago, now we can only hope XGI get something or some other unknown company jumps in, or well be facing near monopolistic prices.

It doesnt matter that its not Nvidia, or it is ati who we are buying cards from - as long as they work as theyre supposed to. Im happy buying an ati card, but i dont want to have to pay insane prices for it.

1stFlight
09-24-03, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by randsom

See that would be odd when you consider they just partnered with EA.

Why partner with gamining co. if you're not going to be a dominant force in the industry?

EMunEeE
09-24-03, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by euan
Any remaining nvidiots should simply transfer to XGI and we'll carry on arguing as normal. But what are be going to call fanboy volari users???

We have Fanatic, and Nvidiot. What can we do for Volari, or XGi? Ehgiot? (as in XGiot) Volidiot (or voldot for short)??? This is going to be difficult. :eek:

At Rage3D I suggested we call the XGI fanboys XtremIsts....:)

IISquintsII
09-24-03, 04:15 PM
Maybe I'm being hopefull but if ATI would be a monopoly they may not have competitors in the PC market, but dont forget they still compete with the consoles, and with consoles being more like PC's each generation it should be tough competition. I wouldnt be suprised if the next consoles have keyboard and mouse connections.

volt
09-24-03, 04:17 PM
If this comes out true, I'm no longer gonna support them :|

ragejg
09-24-03, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by vampireuk
Bah:(

double bah :mad:

I'm not gonna react on this for a few days... let the poop in the air settle...

Hellbinder
09-24-03, 04:40 PM
No way,,, they are

Volariots

All the way baby!! Its a natural :cool:

EMunEeE
09-24-03, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Hellbinder
No way,,, they are

Volariots

All the way baby!! Its a natural :cool:

XtremIsts is more catchy. Easier to say also. :p