PDA

View Full Version : looking for an excellent combat flight sim

danlofgren
09-24-03, 03:34 PM
I know it's a matter of personal opinion (to a degree) -- but can anyone suggest for me one or two REALLY COOL, sweet graphics, combat flight sim that is AVAILABLE NOW.

I'll be using a Radeon9600Pro, P4 2.0Ghz, 512ddrRam to run it.

Thanks in advance to any who reply.

saturnotaku
09-24-03, 03:37 PM
About the only available game to have come out in recent memory is IL2-Sturmovik, at least that I can recall. Games of this genre tend to be extremely buggy, and IL2 was no exception. Don't know if they've fixed it (they probably have). Other than that there's really nothing else, unless Microsoft releases a Combat Flight Simulator for 2004.

Although Battlefield 1942 does have air combat, it's not for you if that's all you're looking for.

rth
09-24-03, 03:45 PM
I saw IL2 in a supermarket bargain bin for 7.67 ! OMG :eek: :eek:

Kandoko
09-24-03, 04:35 PM
I have IL2 Sturmovik didn't have any bug problems with the current patches. It has great damage models on the planes and plays very nice on my 9700.
The only downside is its hard to find players online for coop missions most are dogfights or playing the add-on Forgoton Battles.
Microsofts Combat Flight Sim might be ok but I know it had extream terrain bugs on release and poor performance. This may be changed with patches but I don't know

Sabadin
09-24-03, 06:19 PM
I would definitely give IL2: Forgotten Battles a try. ;)
http://members.rogers.com/aesabadin/beach.jpg

2PAC
09-24-03, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by rth
I saw IL2 in a supermarket bargain bin for 7.67 ! OMG :eek: :eek:
Do you know how much it costs in my country?! About 2 Euros(about 3,5 $)!

LiquidX
09-26-03, 12:12 PM
I am searching for a good flight sim also, I cant wait for modern air craft next month. Here is a new demo for Wings of Honour, I dont know how good it is but downing it now.

deejaya
09-26-03, 12:35 PM
Wings of Honour is a lot like Wings from Amiga days, if anyone played that. Not really what I would call a flight sim, maybe an arcade flying game. Pretty good fun though it has nice graphics.

IL2: FB is the winner here IMO. I had IL2 and got FB when it came out, and the only problem I ever had was FB refusing to start with a certain Cat release. Everything is fine now and I play with no bugs at all.

You could also try Warbirds III or Aces High if you want to pay monthly. Some of my mates still like to play CFS2 as well, and I also have Red Baron 3d installed with a bunch of mods, I still like this game even though it is very old and has an annoying joystick bug on XP. I still play Battle of Britain too, though is is quite old it's still a great game.