PDA

View Full Version : Why are games delayed

fingermouth
09-24-03, 08:22 PM
why are games delayed? for example HL2 and doom 3. these games im sure are stiing in there collective warehouses waiting to be shipped to their sellers. I think game releases are based on hype and to market the sale. That is stupid, i think when a game is done and packaged it should go out for sale not sit in warehouses waiting to be shipped.

marqmajere
09-24-03, 08:32 PM
I'd rather a game be delayed and finished then have a game be rushed and play like crap. (Pool of Radience anyone?)

saturnotaku
09-24-03, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by fingermouth
why are games delayed? for example HL2 and doom 3. these games im sure are stiing in there collective warehouses waiting to be shipped to their sellers. I think game releases are based on hype and to market the sale. That is stupid, i think when a game is done and packaged it should go out for sale not sit in warehouses waiting to be shipped.

You have no idea what the status of these games are. I'm willing to bet there were some last minute technical issues that had to be resolved, whether they're GeForce FX related, who can say? But I know I'd rather have a game that was finished and wouldn't require extensive patching within days of release.

fingermouth
09-24-03, 11:54 PM
I agree totally about a game coming out buggy i wan't to play a game that is very stable and bug free but when they announce a release for a game they need to keep their word becuase what i think is they do that to kiss ass to video card makers or what doom 3 is doing just building desparation of fans like what soap tv shows do they build a want for it and make people wait so when time is right they all go crazy and buy the game it makes to game makers look good for example when Final fantacey came out it was moved back to different dates and when it came out people went nuts execpt me cuase i don't like role playing games anyway but made people go to the store and buy the game which made the maker of the game look good i thik some of these game date moves are to hype the title in adds or hype like when Quake 3 came out it was so hyped people went in a frenzey after this title. This isn't right if the game is good to go and stable enough let it to the public not get everyones hope up.

nin_fragile14
09-25-03, 12:01 AM
Periods! Where are they? I'm blinded.

The Baron
09-25-03, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by nin_fragile14
A cookie for the Hidden Mod!

saturnotaku
09-25-03, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by nin_fragile14

Look away, quickly! Shield yourself from the poorly constructed, run-on sentence!

GlowStick
09-25-03, 12:38 AM
Hello my good man.

Well, first of all, Doom3 isnt delayed, they never commited on a date.

Why they are delayed, because they simply are not done heh.

And that can be caused by diffrent things, but to simply it probly is one of two sitations.

1. the game still has bugs to be worked out, they worked as hard as they can
2. they are to ****y and expect too much from it, keep chagneing the game (eg Duke Nuken for Never)

marqmajere
09-25-03, 01:11 AM
I agree totally about a game coming out buggy i wan't to play a game that is very stable and bug free but when they announce a release for a game they need to keep their word becuase what i think is they do that to kiss ass to video card makers or what doom 3 is doing just building desparation of fans like what soap tv shows do they build a want for it and make people wait so when time is right they all go crazy and buy the game it makes to game makers look good for example when Final fantacey came out it was moved back to different dates and when it came out people went nuts execpt me cuase i don't like role playing games anyway but made people go to the store and buy the game which made the maker of the game look good i thik some of these game date moves are to hype the title in adds or hype like when Quake 3 came out it was so hyped people went in a frenzey after this title. This isn't right if the game is good to go and stable enough let it to the public not get everyones hope up.

:crosseye: ..........help .........

StealthHawk
09-25-03, 02:59 AM
Um...because the game isn't finished yet :angel2:

Of course that doesn't stop a lot of game releases.

LiquidX
09-25-03, 04:06 AM
Well timmy err....fingermouth games are delayed for alot of reasons such as the ones mentioned above. I JUST WISH THE WOULD STOP FRIGGING SAYING, SEPTEMBER no OCTOBER no THE HOLIDAY SEASON, no 2004. Sorry to yell I just hate the fact this always seem to happen to a major title every single year. I would rather a game be bug free but man these delays can really turn you off, making your interest go from 99% to about 9%

DaveW
09-25-03, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by GlowStick
Hello my good man.

Well, first of all, Doom3 isnt delayed, they never commited on a date.

They did say 2003, on a HUGE poster even.

GlowStick
09-25-03, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by DaveW
They did say 2003, on a HUGE poster even. In fine print they said "when its done" ; D

LycosV
09-25-03, 04:36 PM
Games get delayed for various reasons. The thing is it's a carefull balancing act. Some games gain enough hype on name alone: Doom III, Half-Life II, Warcraft III, etc. These are the games that should (IMO) NEVER be given a release date untill it's done. The hype frenzy that would ensue by Blizzard just saying, "Oh yeah, BTW, Starcraft II has gone gold." would be ENOURMOUS. By giving release dates for these games, they help noone, including themselves.

Other games meanwhile, mainly new ones (not sequals that is), need release dates, movies, and screenshots to build up hype. Without them people wouldn't know what they're talking about.

Releasing a game is like writing the script for the final episode in a telivision season. You want the watcher to be cut off right in the middle of the climax. That's where you put the release date. The problem is, just like TV series, if you go too long before the season starts, the hype is gone.

LycosV

NAZCA M12
09-25-03, 06:46 PM
I'll tell you why, because some companies give exact release dates way before the game's completion, then they are forced to push back the release a couple of months. You have to feel a bit for the developers though, they have to cope with enormous pressure from their publishers. Valve is one of the few studios that have the luxury of time (and money) to complete their game at their leisure. However, if Half-Life 2 is being delayed at the very last moment, then that is suspicious.

I think it would be better to just say a plain "2003" or "2004" instead of naming a rock solid release date and then having to change that. That way they will only anger/dissapoint the gamers and hurt their credibility. What is more, most of them use the same old excuse "yes it will be delayed, because we want to have a bug-free version while its qualities are being further enhanced".

Personally i wait for a games release to change for about 3 or 4 times, then i consider it a joke and turn my back on it. Here's some examples of such games:

1) Galleon (initially supposed to be out on all formats, release date keeps changing, must be delayed for more than a year and a half. Now looks like PC version has been scrapped though we may still get one after all. No thanks).:zzzz:

2) Fahrenheit (delayed for more than a year, release date changed about 2 or 3 times into Q1 2004):p

3) Call of Cthulu: Dark corners of the Earth (same here, delayed for more than a year, but hey! The sequel has already been announced):)

4) Duke Nukem Forever (delayed for D.K.F. reasons. Let's hope we'll get a Manhattan Project 2 in the meantime):D

The worrying thing is that we were supposed to have lots of good games all hitting the stores in about the same time only to have most of them delayed. Deus Ex 2 for example was supposed to have moved from a Summer '03 release to October '03. Now Eidos changed its release date, which means we won't be seing it before 2004. I assume that the same goes for Thief III. Oh well, i've already turned my attention to Far Cry and er... Broken Sword 3 :D :D :D

marqmajere
09-25-03, 08:29 PM
You forgot Daikatana. :)

Greb Jnnayr
09-26-03, 12:52 AM

Here I'll make it a little better. I got C's in grammar so it won't be correct.

I agree totally about a game coming out buggy, I wan't to play a game that is very stable and bug free. When they announce a release for a game they need to keep their word... :confused:

Oh never mind. After this it really makes no sense.

NAZCA M12
09-26-03, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by marqmajere
You forgot Daikatana. :)

No, i just mentioned a few games that were hugely delayed and they are yet to be released:)
Still you did well to mention Daikatana marqmajere. I almost forgot about the game that came close to (financially) bringing Eidos down to its knees, but still it turned out to be brill...er, brilliantly screwed up:D

a4164
09-26-03, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by NAZCA M12
Still you did well to mention Daikatana marqmajere. I almost forgot about the game that came close to (financially) bringing Eidos down to its knees, but still it turned out to be brill...er, brilliantly screwed up:D

That plus Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness. Why is Eidos not dead yet? Would the world not be a better place...

theultimo
09-29-03, 10:24 PM
Eidos is only alive from the Squareites(FFVII, FFVIII ports) and the company Free Radical, and Deus Ex. Basically, they have some good points, but mostly botched up releases (Deus Ex being one of em)