PDA

View Full Version : Most beautiful FX12 DX8 footage/engine?

ragejg
09-25-03, 10:06 AM
IMO dx9 was given its wings before DX8 even got off the ground... I appreciate floating point precision and the *more programmable* DX9 paths (which as it turns out seem to be giving developers just as hard of a time as DX8 paths due to the differences in teh hardware on a per company basis :rolleyes: )... but I still have not seen a game or even footage that has been dubbed **VERY DX8 SHADER HEAVY**... I really could be wrong here, but so far I've seen PS helping water, reflections, some lighting... but it seems that there's only a smattering of these enhancements slopped on top of DX7 code...

So, does footage exist that occupied the dreams of GF3/GF4/R8500 developers (besides Ballistics/Squid/Wolfman/Nature/TW2003's water :rolleyes: :p) ?? Is the most dx8 heavy stuff just gonna be *dropped down* dx9 code?

Cuz it kinda sounds to me like DX8 is not dead yet, due to the fact that some of the FX series will have to drop down to FX (shoulda known, heh heh :p ) mode to remain competitive in some games, so game dev's may still be pushed to write DX8 code... which IMO is kinda cool, as maybe we haven't seen the most beautiful PS?VS 1.X stuff yet???

saturnotaku
09-25-03, 11:10 AM
Codecreatures maybe? Other than that, I dunno.

PenguinJim
09-25-03, 02:45 PM
I don't see skipping a DX generation as being too big a problem. I have a (DX8) GeForce4Ti, but I wouldn't mind seeing lots of games being released in the next few months that heavily use DX9 effects (for when I upgrade in a year or so :)). It would be nice if we could get past the situation where the latest graphics cards' features are over a year ahead of the games that actually support them (I know we never will, though :( but programmers skipping proper DX8 implementations to concentrate on DX9 is kind've a step in the right direction, IMO).

On a side-note, I was slightly surprised to see Half Life 2 doesn't require a Hardware T&L GPU :confused: maybe that's one reason why a powerful CPU will be required for that game.

Dazz
09-25-03, 02:56 PM
The reason being DX7 is still used on the most part is to make it run with older hardware like the Geforce4 MX and Radeon 7500 cards still floating about.

StealthHawk
09-25-03, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Dazz
The reason being DX7 is still used on the most part is to make it run with older hardware like the Geforce4 MX and Radeon 7500 cards still floating about.

The answer to two questions lies in the above sentence.

Why DX7 is still used, and why DX8 was not used. Then again, hell, DX7 games just game out. UT2003, Morrowind, all glorified DX7 games.

EciDemon
09-26-03, 02:06 AM
Tenebrae (http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/) Quake engine is what comes to mind for me, but that is not a game ...

StealthHawk
09-26-03, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by EciDemon
Tenebrae (http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/) Quake engine is what comes to mind for me, but that is not a game ...

Does Tenebrae even use fragment shaders/DX8 level shaders? I thought not.

saturnotaku
09-26-03, 08:45 AM
Whatever Tenebrae uses it's enough to bring a Radeon 9700 to its knees. I can't run that mod at greater than 800x600. I thought it was more of a lighting and shadow showcase as opposed to something with fragment programs.