PDA

View Full Version : Are there any UT2k3 maps for original UT?

ragejg
09-25-03, 04:07 PM
It'd be nice to play some UT2k3 maps on original UT... does anyone know if this has been done at all? I know they wouldn't look as good, but wouldn't it be nice to play antalus or asbestos on a PII/333 with a Voodoo2?

digitalwanderer
09-25-03, 04:24 PM
Funny you should post this, I just dug out my original UT disk and installed it on Blue the other night!

I still like the original UT better than UT2k3, and it runs just amazing in Glide on a Celeron 1.4@1.68 with a stock AGP V5 5500!

Do voodoos do the ultra hi-res textures from the second disk?

ragejg
09-25-03, 04:36 PM
I think the hi rez's are 32 bit... so... no? I could be wrong...

Nephilim
09-25-03, 04:44 PM
If they support S3TC, then yes. However you will only be able to use those textures in OpenGL rendering, so on a Voodoo card it would be kind of silly since you would most likely get the best performance out of Glide or DirectX.

I think that it worked best with nVidia cards at the time (and probably the later Radeons now).

digitalwanderer
09-25-03, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Nephilim
If they support S3TC, then yes. However you will only be able to use those textures in OpenGL rendering, so on a Voodoo card it would be kind of silly since you would most likely get the best performance out of Glide or DirectX.

I think that it worked best with nVidia cards at the time (and probably the later Radeons now).
Thanks. I really don't know a whole lot about Voodoo, but I'm enjoying fiddling with it. :)

Nephilim
09-25-03, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by ragejg
I think the hi rez's are 32 bit... so... no? I could be wrong...

The hi-rez textures off of the second cd are 32-bit, but that isn't a big deal, the textures off of the first cd are 32-bit as well. What makes the 2nd cd textures special is that they are the textures used when the texture compression option under OpenGL is turned on. They are much bigger than the default textures and thus give the textures more detail in-game.