PDA

View Full Version : Ti4200 problems

tau_neutrino
09-25-03, 06:49 PM
Ok, I installed a Ti4200 to replace my aging GF2 MX and now I'm getting a few problems:

1. WinXP is showing the new card as a GF2 Ultra. I've tried reinstalling 45.23 detonator drivers and directx but to no avail.

2. The screen is flickering.. there are these little scrolling lines all across the screen. Also, there are a few dark horzontal areas on the screen, and the gamma seems a bit low. I'm using a 17" Princeton LCD screen that worked fine w/ my old card.

Any ideas? :confused:

Relevant System specs:
Athlon 1.1GHz
512MB RAM
10+60GB HD's

john19055
09-25-03, 07:42 PM
I always do a clean install when I have updated my hardware and that seems to fix everthing thing even if it is a lot of trouble,but since you already had a nvidia card it should have picked it up with no problems.I would use the 44.03 driver or the one on nvidia web site that are WHQL,to me they seem to be the best for my TI4600.

tau_neutrino
09-25-03, 07:52 PM
I just tried the 44.03 drivers, still same result.

I benched 3dMark2001 and got results consistent w/ a GF 2 Ultra.
AGP info under siSoft Sandra shows the card to be a Visiontek Geforce2 Ultra (Gateway).

Looks like I got ripped off :\

john19055
09-25-03, 08:07 PM
If you don't want to do a clean install, remove the drivers from the remove program in your contrl pannel and then use driverclean2.0 and go in your regedit to remove all the other setting that is showing the G.F.2 ultra settings and then install what ever driver you are going to use,to me it is easier just to do a clean install that way windows sets up everthing and gets rid of all the unnessary stuff.

digitalwanderer
09-25-03, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by tau_neutrino
Looks like I got ripped off :\
Could you tell me how you aquired this card? Also, does it give you a video card BIOS screen when you boot up before your regular bios screen?

Let's find out if it IS a 4200 first. :)

stncttr908
09-25-03, 08:39 PM
I've only heard of cards being recognized with incorrect amounts of memory, or something else along those lines. I'm not quite sure how your situation is possible. Sounds like you were had.

1stFlight
09-25-03, 08:59 PM
Does sound like it. Every Nvidia card has an identifier that the drivers pick up and use accordingly.

If the drivers are picking up your card as GF2.. .it more than likely is.

tau_neutrino
09-25-03, 09:03 PM
Could you tell me how you aquired this card? Also, does it give you a video card BIOS screen when you boot up before your regular bios screen?

Let's find out if it IS a 4200 first.

I bought it over eBay (this was my 1st and probably last purchase via eBay for electronics). Unlike my GF2MX, I don't get a video card BIOS screen on this one.

digitalwanderer
09-25-03, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by tau_neutrino
I bought it over eBay (this was my 1st and probably last purchase via eBay for electronics). Unlike my GF2MX, I don't get a video card BIOS screen on this one.
Some do have 'em, some don't.

I'd say you got screwed friend, if the driver says it's a GF2 Ultra it probably is. :(

If it was saying it was your old GF2MX I'd think it might be a driver install problem, but I have NEVER heard of a card being mis-identified like that. (That and I have a total distrust of Ebay.)

I'd contact your seller immediately and demand a refund/real card. Who knows, maybe it was an honest mistake? A lot of the traders on those boards do it for a living and maybe he had a couple of cards he was selling and mixed 'em up? (Yeah, I know I'm reaching...but it COULD happen...)

I'd contact him and tell him politely you received the wrong card and would like the right one.

GlowStick
09-25-03, 11:02 PM
Hello, i do have a feeling one of two things happend.

1) He purposly sold you a Geforce 2
2) His Geforce4 got messed up, purposly sold it.

I would take digi's advice, ask NICELY for a refund, but i have been scammed on Ebay, and i can sum up the steps you have to do to get this guy in trouble.

If you have determeind its a scam (if he baiscly dose not reply to email) First contact Ebay, and then use the option to get his phonenumber and address. Next call him, if he stops answering or gives some BS story etc. then you have to call the FBI.

If the guy is out of your state, they will charge him with Mail Fraud, its a federal offence. They actually will send the sherriff to go arrest them if they dont show up to court, and the FBI takes care of all the leagul stuff....

Oh also, if you have a digital camera, or have a freind with one, post a pic or too, i bet we can identify it.

Also, i belive the biggist thing is, how many Video outputs dose it have? I belive almost ALL Geforce 4 Ti4200's have a VGA, SVideo, DVI out. Geforce 2's only had VGA. Its not a perfect way to tell, but it will give us an idea.

theultimo
09-25-03, 11:19 PM
I'd get the Nvidia BIOS editor, and rip the BIOS out of it, and check to see if its a GF2 or a GF4 BIOS. BTW, you can have it do a bootup sign form this.

LiquidX
09-25-03, 11:25 PM
These two cards should look way different and if they dont its a bigger scam than what this guy did, if it infact not a Ti4200 you got there. Look at some reviews that show the Ti400, they should look almost identical. I have not seen a card yet that differs so much from the original that you cant tell its Ti4200, no matter how exotic their fan or ram sinks may be.

Damn bastid if he did do that

Does your card look anything like this?
http://images.anandtech.com/old/video/nvidia/geforce2gts/board_front.jpg

theultimo
09-25-03, 11:29 PM
These two cards should look way different and if they dont its a bigger scam than what this guy did, if it infact not a Ti4200 you got there. Look at some reviews that show the Ti400, they should look almost identical. I have not seen a card yet that differs so much from the original that you cant tell its Ti4200, no matter how exotic their fan or ram sinks may be.
http://images.anandtech.com/old/video/nvidia/geforce2gts/board_front.jpg
Now is that a GTS or Ultra? :confused:

LiquidX
09-25-03, 11:37 PM
It a GTS and regardless it still shouldnt look like Ti4200.
Here is is the only T4200 I belive that looks similar to GF. It's gainward but you can clearly see there different.

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/video/gainward/ti4200/cardfront_sm.jpg

tau_neutrino
09-26-03, 01:46 AM
Liquidx:
Yes, it looks very similar to that. That thing at the bottom left and the heatsink/fan look identical, other than coloring (HS on this one is green). The there are 8 RAM modules on this card too, arranged in the same pattern and orientation as the one you're showing. The 4 RAM chips above the GPU have a heatsink on top.

tau_neutrino
09-26-03, 02:09 AM
Liquidx:
Yes, it looks very similar to that. That thing at the bottom left and the heatsink/fan look identical, other than coloring (HS on this one is green). The there are 8 RAM modules on this card too, arranged in the same pattern and orientation as the one you're showing. The 4 RAM chips above the GPU have a heatsink on top.

1stFlight
09-26-03, 05:06 AM
Oddball question here... is it possible he's got a GF4 4200 that's been flashed with a GF2 BIOS??

LiquidX
09-26-03, 08:42 AM
I think its system problem, even though you normally dont need to do fresh install for Nvida card I would recommend it. If it looks like Ti4200 it should should show up as one. Hell if that doesnt fix it, then even though its sounds ridiculous it might be as 1stFlight says.

This is how mine look and how most of the green ones should look and if you said its layed more similar to that red one it should be a Ti4200 becauase this is alsy layed out the same.
http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/video/roundups/2002/04/Sub200/ti4200front_sm.jpg

The Baron
09-26-03, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by 1stFlight
Oddball question here... is it possible he's got a GF4 4200 that's been flashed with a GF2 BIOS??
Mmm... no.

It's hard to mix up a GF2 and a GF4. The GF4 has a very different cooler and is MUCH longer than the GF2.

1stFlight
09-26-03, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by The Baron
Mmm... no.

It's hard to mix up a GF2 and a GF4. The GF4 has a very different cooler and is MUCH longer than the GF2.

Not a matter of physical differences, it's a matter of how he obtained the card... through Ebay... who knows what it's been through?

Though back to the subject, if it were my card I would set the comp to use plain VGA drivers, perform an uninstall of the Nvidia drivers, reboot, let the machine come back up, intentionally let it fail the hardware detection that comes up, so a search for "nv*" anything and shove it in the recycle bin, open device manager, remove the Display adapter (should be VGA), reboot ..and when it comes up install the Nvidia drivers...

YMMV

eesa
09-26-03, 02:16 PM
the one with the nvidia hsf is a GF2 GTS reference model. I know -I have one.

Neova
09-26-03, 03:34 PM
Do you have any heatsink compound around? If so, pop off the heatsink, clean up the GPU and read the markings.

That will tell you what you really have, assuming you are mechanically inclined to do so.

tau_neutrino
09-26-03, 09:27 PM
Update:
Well, I contacted the seller and he agreed to give me a full refund after I ship the card back.
Now I just need to find a cheap GF4 Ti4200 (real one!)

stncttr908
09-26-03, 10:05 PM
Well, that's ****ty of him to try and pull a fast one like that, but he'll give you your bones back at least.