PDA

View Full Version : AGP 4X / 8X Question

Bob1
09-26-03, 12:03 AM
Ok, I recently bought a Gainward GeForce4 Ti4800SE. It has support for both AGP 4X and AGP 8X. When I go to the GF4 Ti4800SE options and properties (Under Display Properties > Advanced), it says that the current bus speed is AGP 4X. Now, when I bought this I was blindly assuming that my computer supported AGP 8X and that the video card would default to that speed. I just bought by computer (P4 1.8ghz) about a year ago, so I thought it would have the 8X feature. So my question is this:

Is there an option to switch from AGP 4X to AGP 8X, or is that automatically determined and unchangable?

I use this video card and computer mostly for games. The performance is fine in most situations, but the framerate can sometimes become a little choppy when there's a lot going on (not to an unplayable point). I just want more if it is at all possible, the extra bandwith would sure be cool ;)

Thanks for your help!

jAkUp
09-26-03, 12:06 AM
well i can guarantee you will get a 1% increase in framerate from going from 4x to 8x...

but what motherboard are you using?

Bob1
09-26-03, 12:13 AM
I really don't know what motherboard I have...but I pretty much know everything else about the comp, figures. I also don't know how I would find out what kind it is :\

I've heard that there is a big difference between 4X and 8X speeds...but of course I could ne wrong. Nvidia's site has an article I read a week ago, saying it's much faster cause it has 2 times the amount of bandwidth.

---------------------------------------------

Also another question, the Gainward came with "EXPERTool" which is a program that allows you to change the clock speeds. I've never overclocked a card before and don't know if it would be safe to even try it, or if it will even make a big difference?

eesa
09-26-03, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Bob1
I've heard that there is a big difference between 4X and 8X speeds...but of course I could ne wrong. Nvidia's site has an article I read a week ago, saying it's much faster cause it has 2 times the amount of bandwidth.

I can positively guarantee you there won't be a difference outside the margin of error. And if your card is in 4x, it either means your mobo only supports 4x or it knows the mobo is a little too flaky to run in 8x and for that 0.1% difference, it's nothing worth risking stability over.

theultimo
09-26-03, 10:24 AM
Hmm...ive never heard 8x is used, maybe for Doom3 who knows?

TheOneKEA
09-26-03, 10:29 AM
I've read in a few places that even heavyweights like Splinter Cell, D3, HL2, W:ET and so on don't even fully utilize an AGP4X bus, much less an AGP8X bus.

The reason why is because graphics cards have so much memory. Because graphics cards have so much memory, these days game engines just load all the textures & polys & other data into the card's local RAM in one fell swoop. After that it's all AGP1X-level communication until the next huge texture load.

Large amounts of RAM means the card doesn't have to go to system memory anymore, which means that bus speed & bus width are no longer as important as they once were.

GlowStick
09-26-03, 11:29 AM
Hello my good man,

Since you are useing an Intel CPU i bet you are useing a Intel Chipset.

Intel Chipsets that were made when your processor was made DID NOT support 8x AGP. Intel Only RECENTLY introduced 8x AGP this year to the desktop market.

However, the E7505 did support AGP 8x, but those mainboards are NOT pin compatible with your processor, therefore you cannot be useing it.

I can assure you two things, you do not support 8x AGP, AND you are not missing a thing, dont worrie about it, it dose nothing.

eesa
09-26-03, 02:15 PM
basically, if you need to reply on agp to transfer extra memory, you're already dead in the water. Cards these days are using 20gb/s+ of memory bandwidth. AGP8x, or even if 16x existed, doesn't even come close to that. Only purpose of the AGP bus these days is for the usual I/O, and for that 4x is more than adequate. 2x on the otherhand you do start running into bottlenecks believe it or not. There really is that much I/O.

Bob1
09-26-03, 04:14 PM
Ah, thanks for the clarification guys.