PDA

View Full Version : v-sync on? or off?

cricket
09-15-02, 05:56 PM
should i have v-sync on or off? for gaming ..like quake 3 ut 2003/etc..etc.and...does it matter if it is always of or not?

thcdru2k
09-15-02, 06:57 PM
whatever people may say, keep it always on. unless you are benchmarking.

cricket
09-15-02, 07:56 PM
any particular reason why? i thought q3 ran better with v-sync off?

StealthHawk
09-15-02, 08:34 PM
play without vsync and then play with it on. if you don't notice the screen tearing when vsync is off, leave it off, as it will be faster.

however, if you see screen tearing and it bugs you, leave it on. it all comes down to what you like, and if you can't tell the difference, no matter what other people say, then that is all that matters.

thcdru2k
09-15-02, 09:02 PM
i may or may not be correct, but v-sync caps the framerate at your refreshrate right, so even if you leave it off, and it is getting faster fps, it wouldn't matter because it would be faster than your refresh rate, so visually you wouldn't see the difference.

digitalwanderer
09-15-02, 10:12 PM
"Auto"? I prefer to leave mine on auto so I can control the v-sync in-game and adjust it on a "per game" basis. :)

Anyone else bump up the "render frames ahead" to 4 & 3 respectively for D3D & openGL? :)

StealthHawk
09-16-02, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by thcdru2k
i may or may not be correct, but v-sync caps the framerate at your refreshrate right, so even if you leave it off, and it is getting faster fps, it wouldn't matter because it would be faster than your refresh rate, so visually you wouldn't see the difference.

turning vsync off allows the framerate to go beyond the refreshrate. that is also what causes screen tearing.

Blakhart
09-16-02, 10:36 AM
Roughly, if you want inconsistent performance and do not care about image quality, run without vsynch. For consistency and a better image, use vsynch.