PDA

View Full Version : Sept 30th is tomorrow

Pages : [1] 2 3

sytaylor
09-29-03, 05:40 AM
Who wants to start putting money on whether or not we see the sequel to the best game ever? :angel: All is quiet on the valve front..

marqmajere
09-29-03, 05:46 AM
Two things.

1. It wasn't the best game ever.

2. It'll be out on time.

:)

mrsabidji
09-29-03, 06:07 AM
1- I don't think it was the best game ever either. :D
2- I really doubt it will be out on time. Has any game ever been out on time anyway ?

mrsabidji

Mullins1060
09-29-03, 07:35 AM
lol it wont be out 2morow, they may release a demo as a goodwill gesture though, but the actuall full game isnt sheduled till december the 1st (according to amazon.co.uk)

de><ta
09-29-03, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by mrsabidji
1- I don't think it was the best game ever either. :D

HOW DARE J0o? :D After all Half-life has done for you, your life and your education... It's people like you who make baby Gabe cry.:D

Vash
09-29-03, 09:43 AM
I don't think it's going to be out... from www.evilavatar.com

It appears that Valve is working on localizing the game into up to 12 languages - English, Japanese, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, etc. for simultaneous shipment and sale worldwide sometime between November and December (before the end of 2003). Which may partially explain the delay - they're trying to get all the localization done first.

At this point, I don't know who to believe about anything, but that's something, at least....

mrsabidji
09-29-03, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by de><ta
HOW DARE J0o? :D After all Half-life has done for you, your life and your education... It's people like you who make baby Gabe cry.:D

;)
Actually, I was already well educated, computer-gamewise, when HL was released so I don't think I owe Valve anything for that matter. I didn't say it wasn't a great game, anyway. I just don't think it's the greatest.

mrsabidji

sytaylor
09-29-03, 10:01 AM
gah, well at leats its pre paid for now anyways.. :cool:

Edge
09-29-03, 10:37 AM
Hehe, I can't wait to make fun of my friend who said a few weeks ago that he will without a doubt be playing HL2 on the 30th:)

Well the only version I can see them making availible tomarrow is the Steam transfered version, but I doubt even that will happen. Though we oddly haven't heard an OFFICIAL announcment from Valve that the game is delayed, so I'm kinda wondering what they'll do tomarrow. Maybe they'll release the benchmark and then say "Well, here's HL2, that's all there is, enjoy!". Or maybe they'll delay it until who knows when. Jeez, what is it will almost every recent FPS getting delayed? Doom 3, HL2, Halo 2, Deus Ex 2 (it was supposed to be out late 2002 :rolleyes: ). Oh well, in any case, which version is everyone here getting? The SP version, the SP+MP version, the Collectors Edition, or the Steam Transfered edition? Wow, this game almost has as many versions as Everquest has expansions.

Oh, and HL was good for it's time, but it's kinda showing it's age. Sure, it's still good, but compaired to recent FPS games like Halo and...uh...Halo, it just seems kinda boaring. I guess there's only a few games that can really stand up to the test of time. Fallout all the way baby :D

Vash
09-29-03, 12:03 PM
I'll be ganking myself the retail boxed version of HL2.

Oh man, Halo on Wednesday...

Speaking of: I have a stupid question. I'm confused about release dates - everything that I've read on message boards suggests that the release date is the day that I can go buy it on the shelves. But when I called Gamespot (no EB in Rockford!:banghead: ), they said, "Well, uhh, it's release date is the 30th so we'll probably have it on the 31st."

First off, there is no 31st of September. :lame:

Am I getting yanked around, here? I've checked both Best Buy and Circuit City's fliers and those claim they won't have Halo until Thursday... so the release date is the day that the trucks roll to the stores? What's going on here?

Edge
09-29-03, 12:23 PM
First off, there is no 31st of September.

Hehe, maybe that's their way of saying that they won't have the game until September gains another day (i.e. never) :)

Anyway, the "release date" is usually the day it's shipped from the warehouses to the stores, but it won't acually be availible to buy until the NEXT day or so because it take a while to get to the stores. So basicly, Halo (and HL2 of course, with it's September 30th ship date:rolleyes: ) should be availible on Wendsday or Thursday. Heh, kinda funny if you think about it: everyone thought Halo PC was commiting suicide by shipping on the same day HL2 was expected, and now because HL2 is delayed it may sell much more then it would have if HL2 was never announced (since there's going to be many a FPS gamers looking for a FPS early next month). Maybe it was Gearbox behind the HL2 delay, not Nvidia:rolleyes:

saturnotaku
09-29-03, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Edge
Hehe, maybe that's their way of saying that they won't have the game until September gains another day (i.e. never)

I think you give them too much credit. Most Gamestop employees I've encountered are about as intelligent as your average paper clip, whereas at the EB's around here I can have a conversation about games without my IQ dropping too many points.

Vash
09-29-03, 01:34 PM
The last time I asked a Gamestop employee about release dates, he laughed at me and told me to wait. Alas, this takes away the excuse I almost used to beat to bloody unconsciousness with my shoe.

But thanks for clearing it up!

vampireuk
09-29-03, 01:59 PM
I'll leave Halflife 2 alone for a bit, I have too many games that I am playing already:cool:

|JuiceZ|
09-29-03, 02:56 PM
Maybe we'll luck up & Valve through a mp demo out as severance for not telling us in a timely matter :p

Never-the-less, I highly recommend you guys take a break from the HL2 craze & snag a copy of HALO, liked it on XBOX, love it on PC :cool2:

Sazar
09-29-03, 03:01 PM
well i bought and played blue shift recently... and I am quite amazed @ the level of interaction to solve many of the puzzles you have to have...

bought it for $5.00 so no biggie :)

finished it in one night so not really that long but quite entertaining...

I kept thinking to myself... wow... they really were ahead of the curve... even by today's standards their engine is quite outstanding...

Sazar
09-29-03, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by |JuiceZ|
Maybe we'll luck up & Valve through a mp demo out as severance for not telling us in a timely matter :p

Never-the-less, I highly recommend you guys take a break from the HL2 craze & snag a copy of HALO, liked it on XBOX, love it on PC :cool2:

halo is the exact same on xbox and pc... cept for targeting and graphics... I am not inclined @ the moment to spend x amount of dollars on a game I have already played and finished... :)

sytaylor
09-29-03, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
I think you give them too much credit. Most Gamestop employees I've encountered are about as intelligent as your average paper clip, whereas at the EB's around here I can have a conversation about games without my IQ dropping too many points.

i like to mess with EB guys and ask them things they have clue about..

"whats the difference between soul calibur on all the consoles".. i make them squirm :D

one guy once said his favourite game of all time was Fifa 2002 ?!:eek:

mrsabidji
09-29-03, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Sazar
I kept thinking to myself... wow... they really were ahead of the curve... even by today's standards their engine is quite outstanding...

Yep, you can do marvels with Quake1 engine. Did you try tenebrae ? :D

mrsabidji

stncttr908
09-29-03, 04:22 PM
I get a plethora of ads for stores like Circuit City, Best Buy, etc. every Sunday. They always advertise the big releases and say "AVAILABLE SUCH AND SUCH DATE" on the cover, big enough for anyone to notice. I didn't even see a single mention of HL2 in either of them.

Edge
09-29-03, 04:36 PM
halo is the exact same on xbox and pc... cept for targeting and graphics... I am not inclined @ the moment to spend x amount of dollars on a game I have already played and finished... :)

Uhh...except they TOTALLY overhauled the multi-player and added in new weapons, vehicles, and levels. The only thing that's exactly the same is the single-player campiegn mode. Personally, I've played Halo to death on Xbox already, but I might pick up Halo PC when it comes down in price a bit. Or I guess I could wait until Halo 2...;)

|JuiceZ|
09-29-03, 04:40 PM

I was implying to peeps who neither own an XBox nor have beat the game, such as myself ;)

btw, just found out I've been a beta tester for U2XMP for the past two weeks, lol. :crosseye: hrm...more goodies :D

NAZCA M12
09-29-03, 06:20 PM
That's the problem with Halo PC. Think about it. Had the sequel not be delayed (thank God and btw is it not a bit suspicious?) PC gamers would be faced with the ridiculous situation of finally getting Halo PC at almost the same period that X-Box players would get Halo 2 :mad:

Of course i like the game, but after waiting for its PC release for so long, i feel cheated by Microsoft delaying it that much. I thought consoles existed for a reason (everybody would have the same hardware, thus performance and no one would be whining about it) instead, they now only exist in order to snatch "exclusive" titles from the PC and blackmail gamers to either buy the console (broadly speaking) or forget about it. It stinks. I won't buy Halo PC for that reason.

Plus that "Master Chief" thingy, reminds me of sth, must have been stolen for sure (scratches head). Oh well, to get back to the point, i don't think that we'll see H-L 2 anytime soon, hopefully a SP demo maybe (although i'd love it if they could come up with an announcement like "btw dudes, did we mention that it's in the shops?"):D :D :D

GlowStick
09-29-03, 06:33 PM
I will go so far as to say i KNOW HL2 wont be released tomorow,

but ill be lineing up at BestBuy tomorow anyways : )

demonized
09-30-03, 12:48 AM
From gamespot.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Following earlier indications from Half-Life 2's publisher, Valve says the game will not make a September 30 ship date.

In late July, Vivendi Universal Games said that Half-Life 2 would not ship on September 30, the release date Valve had announced at E3. Yet, in the days following VU Games' announcement, Valve unofficially told its fans that it would stick to the date. Valve has now admitted that the game will not ship next week.

As for official word on Half-Life 2's release schedule, VU Games' Amy Farris backed up the developer's statement, saying, "I can confirm that Valve announced this week that Half-Life 2 will ship for the holiday season, rather than September 30th."

By Sam Parker, GameSpot [POSTED: 09/25/03 12:09 PM]