PDA

View Full Version : Extremely slow computer

hutton2949
09-29-03, 03:02 PM
I have just built a new computer and finally have everything working. The problem is that it is really slow. It has a maxtor ata 133 drive, nforce 2 mb, barton 2500+, and ddr 400 with XP HOME as the operating system. It takes this think like 10 minutes to fully boot. And takes for ever to do anything in windows. Anything that has to scan the hard drive takes forever also. Does anyone have any ideas?

-=DVS=-
09-29-03, 03:38 PM
what video card do you have and did you install driver ? any bios problems ? IRQ conflicts ??? Motherboard drivers must be installed also....
Define how can it take to boot 10 minutes ? you wait at loading screen ? or in windows ? maybe hardrive works in some wierd Pio mode or something should be DMA 3 i think...

Its your first time building PC ?

hutton2949
09-29-03, 07:43 PM
all drivers installed, i will check the hard drive setting, but by slow boot i mean everything after the bios, it all takes for ever, even when windows is loading and the programs in the start menu are loading, they are real slow

hutton2949
09-29-03, 07:50 PM
just checked and the hard drive is in pio mode, how do i change it, there are no options to.

Smokey
09-29-03, 08:55 PM
Your bios should your hdd's dma setting, but double check. In windows, I used to have that problem where windows said it my hdd was running in pio and I couldnt change it. Some people fixed this by uninstalling thier ide drivers and rebooting.

FlusH
09-30-03, 01:06 AM
To change pio to dma in winXP, right click on my computer, then goto manage. On the left hand side of the window there should be something called "Device Manager" Left click on that. In the right hand box look for your hard disk drives and right click them. Goto properties. In there you can change PIO to DMA. Have fun:afro2:

Smokey
09-30-03, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by FlusH
To change pio to dma in winXP, right click on my computer, then goto manage. On the left hand side of the window there should be something called "Device Manager" Left click on that. In the right hand box look for your hard disk drives and right click them. Goto properties. In there you can change PIO to DMA. Have fun:afro2:

I know for a fact you cannot always change this in XP, I know I couldnt with my old hdd which supported DMA mode 4.

eL_PuSHeR
09-30-03, 10:24 AM
Go into bios and make sure UDMA is set to auto for all drives. Then, enter hardware manager in winxp and delete both ide channels (primary and secondary). Reboot.

FlusH
10-01-03, 01:59 AM
Smokey said: I know for a fact you cannot always change this in XP, I know I couldnt with my old hdd which supported DMA mode 4.
The ability to change PIO/DMA is definitly alway's there in WinXP, are you telling me that microsoft is releasing different versions of window's unannounced? What I first posted is how to change PIO mode to DMA and vise versa. Your motherboard might not have supported DMA 4. Check your hardware next time.

astroguy
10-01-03, 04:16 AM
it's possible you have the w32.walchia worm too... that sucks up your CPU power..
check task manager to see if you have a program called DLLHOST.EXE using 100% CPU...
don't forget to do windowsupdate to download all the security fixes

stncttr908
10-01-03, 11:49 AM
This happened to me to me when my WD800JB was dying. It switched to PIO mode and refused to come out of it.

So, if you can't force it through the BIOS, or in Windows, there is a problem with the hardware.

demonized
10-01-03, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by stncttr908
This happened to me to me when my WD800JB was dying. It switched to PIO mode and refused to come out of it.

So, if you can't force it through the BIOS, or in Windows, there is a problem with the hardware.

same thing with my 800jb. the replacment they sent just started doing the same thing. it takes so long to get recognized. try making it a slave drive and see if that helps. it worked for me. But before trying that see if clearing ur bios works.

The Baron
10-01-03, 06:29 PM
Wrong wrong wrong wrong WRONG.

PIO occasionally gets forced on by Windows because.... well, for no reason whatsoever. Seriously. It just goes on, and you can't turn it off.

Remove the primary and secondary disk controllers in the Device Manager and reboot. Thank me later.

Smokey
10-02-03, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by FlusH
The ability to change PIO/DMA is definitly alway's there in WinXP, are you telling me that microsoft is releasing different versions of window's unannounced? What I first posted is how to change PIO mode to DMA and vise versa. Your motherboard might not have supported DMA 4. Check your hardware next time.

You dont need to be rude, Ive been building pcs for about 5 years :rolleyes:

Im telling you that with my old Maxtor 27gb ultra dma 66 hard drive, that XP would never let me select dma mode!!

When I installed the VIA IDE miniport drivers, with VIA IDE utility, it said my hdd was running in dma66 (mode4 i think) and windows never said it was, no matter how many times I unistalled the IDE drivers and rebooted, changed the IDE cable etc, and my HDD always has its own cable.

Now, the only thing that has changed in my pc is the hdd, and now windows says dma mode is selected.

Next time, dont be so quick to put down others, when you dont know yourself what the problem was. Anyone that has every worked worked with pcs, knows that there is never 100% of the time you can fix or understand problems.