PDA

View Full Version : Memory Problem

tesl0id
09-30-03, 04:29 PM
Alright, well i recently purchased a 512mb of Corsair XMS pc2700 ram to bump up my ram count to 1gb. But here is the problem I have leadtek k7ncr18-D (nforce 2) and already have 2x256mb Corsair XMS pc2700 so im trying to use all three slots. If i put one in each slot it does enable dual ddr, but my computer as a result has become unstable.

Now i can take out one of the 256mb (doesnt matter which one) and it will run rock solid, completly stable. I have run memtest86 to see if any of the sticks were bad, none of them showed up errors.

I have checked in my bios and nowhere is it found to turn off dual channel mode, so it would act like a normal computer either. Anyone have any idea on what i could do to get them all to run together?

If not i will be selling either one or both sticks of my 256mb Corsair ram if i can get a resonable price out of them to buy another 512 stick.
thanks

My comp specs-
athlon xp 2700+
Leadtek k7ncr18-D (nforce 2)
EVGA Geforce fx 5900 Ultra
60 gb WD HD
Audigy 1 gamer
420 PSU

tesl0id
10-02-03, 09:18 AM
anyone have any ideas? I have uped the voltage to 2.7, which still didnt help. Or would like to trade a 512 stick for 2x256 :D hehe

Smokey
10-02-03, 11:08 AM
How long did you run memtest86 for? I would test each stick for at least a few hours each. The other thing to do, would be to post on Corsairs forum.

Rampant CL
10-02-03, 11:47 AM
DL the windows memory diagnostic util, it can find memory prbs which memtest doesnt.

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/mtinst.exe

tesl0id
10-02-03, 01:38 PM
I dont think that the sticks are bad. I have tested them through memtest86 all night for 2 nights. They all work fine, meaning i can switch which two i have running in dual channel between all three sticks with no problem.

Im thinking it is more of an issue with the motherboard not likeing three sticks in it at once, although i have been browsing forums and have seen that it has been done. My computer will boot just fine it just occassionaly, well almost everytime i try to play a game or 3dmark in a loop(i tried many different games to the same effect) it will freeze or reboot.

I was hoping that there was more of a setting i could change or somthing in the bios or a jumper, but it is not looking likely. I will post on corsairs website see if they can help.
no one would want to trade me a 512 stick for 2x256 now would they hehe, well it was worth a shot, 768 isnt that bad right now.

has anyone got 3 sticks to run together here in an nforce 2 setup?

Smokey
10-02-03, 10:27 PM
Could it possible that its the psu, with everything that you have in your setup, Im thinking you would need a good cpu, if you can try a different one just to see if that is the cause?

dsessom
10-03-03, 09:28 PM
tesl0id,

I wouldn't worry too much about running Dual channel with an AthlonXP rig.
While it increases memory bandwidth a little, it isn't enought to worry about IMO. On a Pentium4 Northwood system it would be a different story, but for Athlons, the performance gains are not very dramatic.
Here's what I mean:

http://pcextreme.net/reviews/dfi_nf2ultra/sandra_memorybandwidth.jpg

http://www.pcextreme.net/reviews/dfi-lanpartypro875/bandwidth.jpg

tesl0id
10-04-03, 06:46 PM
I doubt it is the psu, it is 420watts, but i dont have another one to trade out to see..

Also i dont mind running it in single channel mode, but i dont know how to "turn off" dual channel mode. If anyone has any idea as to how. I checked in the bios and there is no option.

dsessom
10-04-03, 06:54 PM
It is auto-sensing. It should not be in dual channel mode if all 3 slots are filled. The dual channel mode is usually enabled by filling the 1st and 3rd slots, and in any other configuration, it should be single channel only.

CaptNKILL
10-04-03, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by dsessom
It is auto-sensing. It should not be in dual channel mode if all 3 slots are filled. The dual channel mode is usually enabled by filling the 1st and 3rd slots, and in any other configuration, it should be single channel only.
I have a stick of 512Mb and a stick of 256Mb (one corsair XMS and one Samsung CTL) and for some reason it runs in Dual Channel mode. Whether I do 2,3 or 1,3 its always dual channel. I dont know how it does dual channel with two completely different ram sticks of different sizes, but I have yet to have a single problem with the setup, so Im leaving it the way it is (as opposed to switching to slots 1,2).

Rytr
10-04-03, 11:10 PM
As I understand it running in DC requires two sticks of ram that are compatible with each other...no conflicts. That is the reason Corsair, OCZ, and others offer two sticks of tested ram for running dual channel.

Sometimes you can luck out and be able to run DC with ram that has not been pretested. I have lucked out and I have not been so lucky. I bought two sticks of TwinMos/Winbond PC3200 (206MHz) and two sticks of TwinMos PC3700 (225MHz) at the same time and each pair run perfect together, one on a P4 system and one on an AMD NF2 system. I tried two sticks of Samsung PC3200 that was bought from different vendors at different times and they would not run above 183MHz together although in single channel each would run well over 200MHz.

Right now you will get only a 3-5% performance increase with DC over single when at the same settings on a NF2 chipset board. On Intel boards you see much higher performance level when running DC.

tesl0id
10-05-03, 08:21 AM
Im pretty sure that if you plug in 3 sticks of memory that the first two in slots 1 and 2 will act as one channel and the third one will act as the second channel to my understading. I found this in my bios update history (which i do have the lastest version flashed) that shows that 3 dimms does enable dual channel.

"4.Fixed when plug 3 DIMM RAM Module "Dual bank mmeory enabled" don't display during POST code ."

My thing is if i could just disable DC, (which i believe when running all three sticks together might be the problem) then i can run all 3 sticks of mine at once, if not the 768mb of ram is fine.