PDA

View Full Version : Geforce4-440 GO

mmmcheese
09-15-02, 10:47 PM
I am looking for advice on the best set of drivers for my Toshiba notebook. It has a Geforce 4-440 Go with 32 MB RAM. Mostly I use 2D application, DVD playback and nView, but I do like to play the odd game. Currently I am using the Toshiba provided 28.46 drivers because they are the newest ones they have. Unfortunately this set is really unstable (BSODs galore).

My other problem is getting the drivers to install for this chip. The only drivers that ever load correctly are the Toshiba drivers. Is there any trick to get the reference drivers loaded on a notebook?

Are there any DVD programs that work with nView other than NVDVD? It seems to be the only one, and I can't my hands on a copy. Legal or otherwise.

Thanks in advance.

saturnotaku
09-16-02, 01:25 PM
I'm currently using a version of the 30.30 driver set that was specifically modified for the GeForce4 Go line. You can download them from here (http://www.envynews.com/temp/30.30g.exe).

mmmcheese
09-16-02, 07:21 PM
Thanks, I really hate that policy of not allowing notebooks to use the reference drivers. As long as there is fair warning that things may not work right, I think that people should have access to it.

mmmcheese
09-29-02, 10:08 PM
So the 40.41s were posted on d-force. It's too they don't work, because the 30.30 drivers have a really annoying problem.

saturnotaku
09-29-02, 10:31 PM
Check out the sticky topic at the D-Force driver forum (http://www.envynews.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=29) to see how to get the latest NVIDIA driver releases to work properly on Toshiba/non-Dell notebooks.

mmmcheese
09-30-02, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
Check out the sticky topic at the D-Force driver forum (http://www.envynews.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=29) to see how to get the latest NVIDIA driver releases to work properly on Toshiba/non-Dell notebooks.

Thanks a lot, I'll have to try these out and see if I fare any better.

mmmcheese
10-01-02, 11:05 PM
The set I downloaded does not have any mobile chips listed.

saturnotaku
10-02-02, 07:20 AM
Did you read the sticky at the top of the forum link I posted? It tells you exactly how to get those drivers to work.

mmmcheese
10-02-02, 05:26 PM
Did you read the sticky at the top of the forum link I posted? It tells you exactly how to get those drivers to work.

The sticky only deals with people having resolution problems as far as I can tell. In the inf file, there is no mention of the NV17M, they look like plain reference drivers to me.

Maybe I'm missing something here...

saturnotaku
10-02-02, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by mmmcheese
Maybe I'm missing something here...

From the posted solution in that thread:

I downloaded it, uninstalled my nVidia drivers rebooted and installed it, choosing Geoforce4 440 MX as the card

If you have a UXGA screen (1600x1200 native resolution) you need not do any editing of the .inf file because this resolution is supported by the GF4 MX. Since this is what you have (according to your signature anyway) you need not do any editing of the .inf file.

Download the 40.71 drivers from any number of web sites (Google is your friend) out there. If you have Winzip installed, right click on the file and select "extract to folder." Boot your system into safe mode and uninstall your previous drivers via control panel-add/remove programs. Reboot your system and when it brings up the new hardware wizard, cancel out of it.

Go into device manager and select your display adapter (should be standard PCI VGA display adapter). Select that device and and manually install the driver, pointing the wizard at the folder to where you extracted the 40.71 drivers. Also, make sure the "select compatible hardware" box is not checked so you will have the option of selecting the GeForce4 MX 440.

mmmcheese
10-03-02, 12:36 PM

From the posted solution in that thread:

[b]

If you have a UXGA screen (1600x1200 native resolution) you need not do any editing of the .inf file because this resolution is supported by the GF4 MX. Since this is what you have (according to your signature anyway) you need not do any editing of the .inf file.

Download the 40.71 drivers from any number of web sites (Google is your friend) out there. If you have Winzip installed, right click on the file and select "extract to folder." Boot your system into safe mode and uninstall your previous drivers via control panel-add/remove programs. Reboot your system and when it brings up the new hardware wizard, cancel out of it.

Go into device manager and select your display adapter (should be standard PCI VGA display adapter). Select that device and and manually install the driver, pointing the wizard at the folder to where you extracted the 40.71 drivers. Also, make sure the "select compatible hardware" box is not checked so you will have the option of selecting the GeForce4 MX 440.

Aren't the drivers that are installed for MX cards missing some of the features that the mobile chips have? IIRC the MX doesn't have the same hardware DVD accel and doesn't have any power saving logic (whether it's through the drivers or hardware). Wouldn't installing as MX make me lose those features?

saturnotaku
10-03-02, 12:55 PM
Possibly, I don't know as the D-Force drivers work perfectly fine for me. :confused: Perhaps if you registered at the Envy News forums and posted in the D-Force forum, someone else with a similar machine to yours could answer that.

mmmcheese
10-04-02, 12:08 AM
Possibly, I don't know as the D-Force drivers work perfectly fine for me. :confused: Perhaps if you registered at the Envy News forums and posted in the D-Force forum, someone else with a similar machine to yours could answer that.

Actually, the 30.30s have been working better, they weren't the source of my problem. I still find it annoying that NVidia doesn't allow mobile users to use reference drivers. They could just warn that they may not work and there is no support at all, which would be fine by me (isn't that how the reference drivers are anyway?).

saturnotaku
10-04-02, 07:39 AM
There are two things that really bug me as a laptop owner.

1) NVIDIA claims on its page that:

the Detonator driver is both forward and backward compatible—across all implementations of NVIDIA graphics processing units (GPUs).

Notice how it says all products. Of course, in the case of the mobile GPU's, sorry, you're SOL. :mad:

2) Furthermore, NVIDIA's Linux drivers work just fine on mobile chipsets so why the hell can't they put in support for the Go GPU's into Windows drivers?

Only thing I can think of to answer the latter is that different manufacturers use different hardware ID's that differ from what NVIDIA uses. But I don't know. :confused:

mmmcheese
10-04-02, 11:23 PM
There are two things that really bug me as a laptop owner.

1) NVIDIA claims on its page that:

Notice how it says [b]all products. Of course, in the case of the mobile GPU's, sorry, you're SOL. :mad:

2) Furthermore, NVIDIA's Linux drivers work just fine on mobile chipsets so why the hell can't they put in support for the Go GPU's into Windows drivers?

Only thing I can think of to answer the latter is that different manufacturers use different hardware ID's that differ from what NVIDIA uses. But I don't know. :confused:

Not that it'll make you feel any better, but ATI does the same thing.

lovswr
11-07-03, 01:51 PM
Ok, that link no longer works. I too have a toshiba notebook (6100 w a geoforce4 420 Go). I just d/l the 52.16 from nvidia's site. Will these drivers work & if so how? My goal is to be able to use the 17" monitor that I'm typing this post on right now & the laptop screen (for the extended desktop action) right now. Xp SP1

saturnotaku
11-07-03, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by lovswr
Ok, that link no longer works. I too have a toshiba notebook (6100 w a geoforce4 420 Go). I just d/l the 52.16 from nvidia's site. Will these drivers work & if so how? My goal is to be able to use the 17" monitor that I'm typing this post on right now & the laptop screen (for the extended desktop action) right now. Xp SP1

Originally posted by me in this very thread

Same procedure applies to any and all driver sets I've ever tried. As I don't have my laptop any more, I couldn't tell you if this will work with the 5x.xx drivers. Theoretically it should.

lovswr
11-07-03, 10:44 PM
Ok, how do I edit the ini, 'cause 1024X768 is all that old 17" Dell is gonna do.

saturnotaku
11-09-03, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by lovswr
Ok, how do I edit the ini, 'cause 1024X768 is all that old 17" Dell is gonna do.

You don't need to because all standard resolutions (640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1152x864, 1280x960, 1280x1024, 1600x1200) are supported by the drivers automatically. Editing the .inf file is necessary only if your laptop's display is not a standard resolution (ie 1400x1050, or any widescreen).

lovswr
11-09-03, 06:58 PM
You don't need to because all standard resolutions (640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1152x864, 1280x960, 1280x1024, 1600x1200) are supported by the drivers automatically. Editing the .inf file is necessary only if your laptop's display is not a standard resolution (ie 1400x1050, or any widescreen).

OK. Well I did not have to do anything. I got the latest Omega drivers. His had a 440 MX Integrated. I assume this is the 440 to Go. It installed & I have the little nvidia logo now in the taskbar, still it looks like I can not expand the desktop from my CRT to the laptop LCD (I won't know for sure until tomorrow when I get to work). So is this just not possible with XP..I know that the default MS drivers on 2000 can? Other peeps at work with that OS & this same laptop do it.

thor1182
11-14-03, 04:26 PM
How to make refrence NV drivers mobile:

unzip driver folder: this may invole starting the driver install and toping it after it copies files to your c drive.

have a mobile version driver directory handy. After you run an install there is a folder that has the driver components in them.

There are 3 files that need to be changed: a txt file called modes, a setup cfg file, and something like nv_4 or similar. Copy the modes from the mobile driver onto the refrence driver file. then make sure the two setup file look the same. in the nv_4 file look for things that are different and copy the diffrence from the mobile file to the refrence file.

Its not that complicated, but its easy to screw it up too. I figured it out on my own by looking at differences in the drivers. I attached the files that need to be changed, and what they should be changed to.