PDA

View Full Version : Halo error!

stncttr908
10-01-03, 12:46 PM
I get this lovely error when I try to fire up Halo, even with the 1.01 patch. Can anyone help me? Yes, this is a downloaded version of the game, but I just want to see if it's going to be worth the freakin' $50 price tag, which is ridiculous for a game that should have been out 2 years ago, and still is loaded with performance issues. Anyway here's the error.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=205454

I have been told that turning off any refresh rate limiting software would do the trick, but I'm not quite sure how to "disable" refresh force, since it sets values in the registry. Even if it were to change everything back to default, I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't solve the problem. I've reinstalled the game, directx 9.0b, etc. I use the Omega 3.7's, and they work just fine for everything else. So, can anyone shed some light on this problem? I'm not going to buy the game if I come to find that this isn't going to be addressed.

Gargr
10-01-03, 02:15 PM
Start reforce and click on Restore original settings

Nutty
10-01-03, 02:30 PM
Yeah this is the same problem I get in battlefield, although that just bombs out. If I use Rivatuner to over-ride the refresh rates this happens.

Ever since I upgraded to dx9, alot of dx games do this.. it sucks.

stncttr908
10-01-03, 09:11 PM
In Battlefield you can go to the videodefault.con (something like that) in your BF1942/mods folder and change "allowallrefreshrates" to "1" to eliminate your problem.

Greg
10-01-03, 10:48 PM
There are obviously still developers out there who think '60hz is good enough for anyone', or they just don't bother testing the product. With BattleField, even the latest Secret Weapons demo still requires manually editing the config file.

stncttr908
10-01-03, 11:46 PM
Thank you good sir!

theultimo
10-05-03, 05:29 PM
2 other newer games that do this are Enter the Matrix and MB World Racing.

NKVD2
10-06-03, 08:46 AM
I didnt have any problems running HALO with my Radeon.....1600x1200 - FAST!!

stncttr908
10-06-03, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by NKVD2
I didnt have any problems running HALO with my Radeon.....1600x1200 - FAST!! I could do that too, but I'm so used to having pretty AA and AF I refuse to play without it now!

Riptide
10-06-03, 01:06 PM
I was under the impression this game chugged in 1600x1200 even with AA and AF turned completely off... ?

NKVD2
10-06-03, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by stncttr908
I could do that too, but I'm so used to having pretty AA and AF I refuse to play without it now!

I don't think HALO can be played using AA or AF, someone here said that it doesnt matter whether you turn AA on or off - you won't see a difference in the game.....However, I did play HALO with 4AA 4AF at lower resolutions but didnt see FPS go down as if I didnt use AA.

Vash
10-06-03, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by NKVD2
I don't think HALO can be played using AA or AF, someone here said that it doesnt matter whether you turn AA on or off - you won't see a difference in the game.....However, I did play HALO with 4AA 4AF at lower resolutions but didnt see FPS go down as if I didnt use AA.

Well, you won't see a visual difference, but if you leave AA turned on when you play, you will take a performance hit. I think DigitalWanderer posted how to turn on AA in Halo in the Official Impressions thread - it's disabled by default because of strange interactions with DX9. If you run one of the older codepaths, then you can run w/AA on, you just have to know how to do it.

stncttr908
10-06-03, 07:22 PM
It works, but I have to either choose 2x FSAA or 4x AF...ah the choices!

The Baron
10-06-03, 07:29 PM
I wonder... once cards support centroid sampling, will AA mysteriously work with these games?

firthy
10-10-03, 02:10 PM
Had the same problem but modified the shortcut as suggested to 1280x960 at 85hz and the game loaded up. Tweaked a few settings and now I get "Gathering exception data" error instead.

Using the 44.90 drivers on a Ti4600, anyone got any ideas what's causing this.

This game is a pain in the butt.

Regards,

Firthy

Iron1384
10-11-03, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by firthy
Tweaked a few settings and now I get "Gathering exception data" error instead.

I get this same crash/error. I have never been able to play Single player, but multiplayer works. This is the worst game launch i've ever delt with.

-=DVS=-
10-11-03, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Iron1384
I get this same crash/error. I have never been able to play Single player, but multiplayer works. This is the worst game launch i've ever delt with.

Never got an error , you guys must be doing something wrong. Maybe Nvidia card at foult :lol:

Anyway try different drivers.

Iron1384
10-12-03, 12:29 AM
Well now, i fixed the whole game. All i did was add -vidmode 1024,768,100 to the shortcut.

-=DVS=-
10-12-03, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Iron1384
Well now, i fixed the whole game. All i did was add -vidmode 1024,768,100 to the shortcut.

Must have been refresh bug , you used RefreshForce ?

firthy
10-12-03, 07:39 AM
Fixed "Gathering exception data", EAX was enabled and it is Nforce 2 onboard sound, so I think that was the problem.

Game runs okay now, but can't say that I'm too impressed with the graphics especially without AA which won't work at all.

Firthy

oldsk00l
10-12-03, 10:08 PM
It chugs at 1024x768 sometimes....

Iron1384
10-12-03, 10:15 PM
More Halo problems. Single Player only runs for a few minutes without crashing. Multiplayer repeatedly has invisible guns and vehicles.

SnakeEyes
10-14-03, 10:27 AM
That sounds like a SafeDisc problem (the single player part). This was exactly what UT2003 did for me, until I started using the noCD crack (later replaced with the official patch that does the same thing). SafeDisc stinks, because it frequently causes the game to not recognize the CD in some CD / DVD drives.

So far Halo seems to be working fine for me (knock on wood) as far as that goes, though I do occasionally lose connections to servers for unexplained reasons, with a message to the effect that "The Server Closed Down". When I refresh the browser list, the server will usually still be there, with everyone but me still in it, at which point I reconnect and find that I've lost all points that I may have earned, while everyone else is fine. Some sort of anti-cheat protection gone wrong? Maybe. I originally thought maybe the server admin was kicking me, but it's happened several times on different servers, so..