PDA

View Full Version : an amatuer question


danlofgren
10-02-03, 02:05 AM
Should i uninstall my current driver before i install the new 45.23?

Or is it alright to just execute the 45.23 file and let it just do whatever it does?

Also - what's the easiest way to see what version is presently installed?

Thanks

mrsabidji
10-02-03, 03:02 AM
It's always a good idea to uninstall a driver before installing a newer one.
To see what driver version you're running, right-click on the desktop -> Properties -> Parameters -> Advanced -> Nvidia card (your card's name actually). You'll see a window where some files are listed followed by a series of numbers. The four last numbers are your driver's version number (4523 = Dets 45.23).

mrsabidji

Gator
10-03-03, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by danlofgren
Should i uninstall my current driver before i install the new 45.23?...

nah, i never do unless it's actually a new detonator series, like Det3 to Det4

Greg
10-10-03, 05:41 AM
I also never uninstall my video drivers. I either run the 'setup.exe' and let them install, or use the device properties tab and choose 'upgrade' and point to the driver files. Never had any problems on Win98, WinXP, Win2k with various nVidia video cards.

Having said that, if you are changing to a different brand, then definately uninstall them. The nVidia cards use unified driver and the driver itself doesn't appear to adversly affect the system, nor does it accumulate 'uninstall' entries.

The main reason I don't like uninstalling hardware drivers in general (as opposed to Apps, which I always uninstall), is that often Windows will automatically reinstall an (what it thinks is an) appropriate driver in its place, or make life miserable, often requiring a boot in safe mode until you fix it. I just find less problem by just updating drivers.

Reaper106
10-10-03, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by mrsabidji
It's always a good idea to uninstall a driver before installing a newer one.
To see what driver version you're running, right-click on the desktop -> Properties -> Parameters -> Advanced -> Nvidia card (your card's name actually). You'll see a window where some files are listed followed by a series of numbers. The four last numbers are your driver's version number (4523 = Dets 45.23).

mrsabidji


I agree, Nuff said:D

mrsabidji
10-10-03, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Greg
The main reason I don't like uninstalling hardware drivers in general (as opposed to Apps, which I always uninstall), is that often Windows will automatically reinstall an (what it thinks is an) appropriate driver in its place, or make life miserable, often requiring a boot in safe mode until you fix it. I just find less problem by just updating drivers.

That won't occur with GeForceFX cards since windows doesn't recognize them internally. It only sees them as nvidia cards and asks you which driver to install.

mrsabidji