PDA

View Full Version : Half-life2 source leaked?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

digitalwanderer
10-02-03, 09:03 AM
I sort of couldn't believe it when I read it this morning on B3D, but after checking me favorite places for such things and finding it myself I'm starting to....

32Mb, about a minute to go on my download, and if you really want to find it you can probably do so by following the "Sharing is Caring" link in me sig and doing about 5 minutes of homework. :cool:

(I'm not sure if this is an allowable subject here or not, so if it ain't feel free to nuke it...it's just I got HL2 on me brain! :D )

The Baron
10-02-03, 09:08 AM
Wasn't there a 32MB movie?

And I think it probably is fake. If it's not, may God have mercy on the poor bastard who leaked it, because I know Gabe Newell won't.

Morrow
10-02-03, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
I sort of couldn't believe it when I read it this morning on B3D, but after checking me favorite places for such things and finding it myself I'm starting to....

32Mb, about a minute to go on my download, and if you really want to find it you can probably do so by following the "Sharing is Caring" link in me sig and doing about 5 minutes of homework. :cool:

(I'm not sure if this is an allowable subject here or not, so if it ain't feel free to nuke it...it's just I got HL2 on me brain! :D )

seems to be legit although it doesn't contain the complete HL2 source code. But nevertheless parts of the Havok engine, LipSynch and many other parts of the Source engine are included....

Even the code which compiles into HL2.exe and TF2.exe ;) but it won't run since all data files are missing.

The Baron
10-02-03, 09:09 AM

or not.

digitalwanderer
10-02-03, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by The Baron

or not.
Yeah, it IS interesting. You can't really do anything with it, but it's fun to poke about. :)

LiquidX
10-02-03, 09:17 AM
Some how I doubt it Digi, OUCH!!! if some bastid really did do it though. I am off to investigate this matter as I did with Halo.:mad:

The Baron
10-02-03, 09:19 AM
How long before we see various parts of Source in other engines... heh.

saturnotaku
10-02-03, 09:19 AM
If it is legit, I hope Gabe finds the bastard, cuts his wang off and shoves it in his mouth. :mad:

Morrow
10-02-03, 09:21 AM
Hm, this seems to be worse than expected. The archive contains about 8000 files including the source code for all the weapons (an extinguisher?), NPC and vehicles. The shader engine code is included and much more.

This must be one of the worst day valve ever experienced...

digitalwanderer
10-02-03, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Morrow
Hm, this seems to be worse than expected. The archive contains about 8000 files including the source code for all the weapons (an extinguisher?), NPC and vehicles. The shader engine code is included and much more.

This must be one of the worst day valve ever experienced...
Yeah, there are a bajillion little files...but what do they all mean and more importantly how do I make something kewl out of em?!?!?

(BTW-I only got 7,670 files in my partial source thingy... :( )

Serath
10-02-03, 09:26 AM
Looks like somebody really DID mean Sept 30th or death eh?

The Baron
10-02-03, 09:27 AM
Holy crap.

EXTINGUISHER!

Sweet. :D You can't wield it, I'd bet, because it just sits on the wall and then releases steam (yeah, it releases Steam over steam. or steam over Steam. something like that.).

Oh, and, I'd expect a response to this in.. mmm... an hour.

The Baron
10-02-03, 09:31 AM
Folks, I fully expect this thread to disappear once Stealth appears or something.

While very cool (and very odd), it's still completely utterly illegal.

Morrow
10-02-03, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by The Baron
Folks, I fully expect this thread to disappear once Stealth appears or something.

While very cool (and very odd), it's still completely utterly illegal.

don't think so. As long as no one posts actual files or contents of the archive (or a link to the complete archive), we can talk about the leak all day long.

The Baron
10-02-03, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Morrow
don't think so. As long as no one posts actual files or contents of the archive (or a link to the complete archive), we can talk about the leak all day long.
Meh. Good point. It doesn't actually do anything... (unless there's another leak next week. heh.)

Vash
10-02-03, 09:38 AM
Holy cow. If it really is HL2 source code, there's going to be some righteous fire and smiting going on from wherever it was leaked.

Gator
10-02-03, 09:57 AM
I seem to be quite the newb today... but what your describing does not sound like a playable game correct? It's just the engine itself? So what's the big deal?

digitalwanderer
10-02-03, 10:01 AM
It's the start, and it's chockful of useful and intriguing insites into the game...I just gotta wait for a few bigbrains to get a hold of it and 'plain it all to me. ;)

If they close this thread you can always come over to EB and talk about it, we ain't quite so picky. (Talking about it is fine, linking is a no-no. I love EB! :) )

I think this is also just the begining of a landslide of leaks, I expect to be seeing a benchmark or demo leaked shortly too. I personally think (PURE conjecture & speculation here, I have no inside info!) that someone is miffed that Valve blew off the Sept 30th release of the game/and or benchmark without so much as even a new delay announcement and I think this is just the first crack in their wall-o-secrecy.

Developing hard...

Smokey
10-02-03, 10:05 AM
This is pretty bad, Source is what they are hoping to sell and make lots of cash from isnt? Things ARE getting so bad, that people arent going to make games for pc anymore, as you cant trust anyone before you get it out the door :(

Its one thing to leak a beat copy of a game, but to leak a companies source for thier game engine is going too far IMO, hope everyone involved gets a bullet to the head, they need to made an example of!!

jimbob0i0
10-02-03, 10:15 AM
I feel really sorry for gabe - I really do.

This thing looks completely legit... if the models/levels/textures/sounds were released the entire HL2 game in source code will be avaliable.

When the SDK is released as well everything will be in place for a whole new game based on this....

Also even worse the 'hax0rs' kiddies who like to make aimbots and such for the game and to hack in cheats to use online will have a field day with this.... ah well - it's done and out... not much can be done now other than to implement damage control - as far as that is possible.

digitalwanderer
10-02-03, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Smokey
This is pretty bad, Source is what they are hoping to sell and make lots of cash from isnt? Things ARE getting so bad, that people arent going to make games for pc anymore, as you cant trust anyone before you get it out the door :(

Its one thing to leak a beat copy of a game, but to leak a companies source for thier game engine is going too far IMO, hope everyone involved gets a bullet to the head, they need to made an example of!!
I can't argue, this is BAD NEWS for Valve in a big way! :(

Morrow
10-02-03, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by jimbob0i0
Also even worse the 'hax0rs' kiddies who like to make aimbots and such for the game and to hack in cheats to use online will have a field day with this.... ah well - it's done and out... not much can be done now other than to implement damage control - as far as that is possible.

This is what worries me the most about the leak. Nobody will be able to offer a working HL2 with the help of this leak but if the archive contains the netcode (still looking for it) then valve has a major problem concerning online MP.

Cheating was bad with CS but it will be even worse with the HL2 netcode leaked to the net.

Exploits will available before even the game ships... if the right part of the code is included in the archive.

digitalwanderer
10-02-03, 10:21 AM
Yup, that's my big fear too. Usually they have to reverse engineer the game code to work out their scripts, but this will just make it too damned easy. :(

Kiss any online HL2 fun good-bye. :(

Vash
10-02-03, 10:39 AM

This is the last thing that needs to happen. Whoever did this needs to get sued into the Stone Age.

That is, IF it's real.

You know, wasn't there some hoopla about leaking betas to the public a while ago? I thought I heard something about ATi leaking a copy of UT2003 and something else. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

druga runda
10-02-03, 11:07 AM
whooo...

is there any official info on this? If not I bet some sites will post comments...