PDA

View Full Version : Was iD software hacked too?


digitalwanderer
10-03-03, 10:40 AM
I've been reading all sorts of weird threads with strange theories and weird tidbits, but one that sort of stuck in me head is the rumor that iD got hacked to and/or the FBI was talking to them about their hack or Valve's.

I noticed yesterday a few hours after the Source source code was leaked that "Doom3_E3demo_(runs on low-end machines!)" was also available weighing in at 398Mb.

I'm not quite done downloading it yet so I can't say exactly what it is, but is there supposed to be a demo out yet of Doom3? Does this ring any bells to anyone or is this really new?

The Baron
10-03-03, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
I've been reading all sorts of weird threads with strange theories and weird tidbits, but one that sort of stuck in me head is the rumor that iD got hacked to and/or the FBI was talking to them about their hack or Valve's.

I noticed yesterday a few hours after the Source source code was leaked that "Doom3_E3demo_(runs on low-end machines!)" was also available weighing in at 398Mb.

I'm not quite done downloading it yet so I can't say exactly what it is, but is there supposed to be a demo out yet of Doom3? Does this ring any bells to anyone or is this really new?
That's the E3 2002 demo. Or, at least, the E3 2002 demo was supposedly about 400 megs.

digitalwanderer
10-03-03, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by The Baron
That's the E3 2002 demo. Or, at least, the E3 2002 demo was supposedly about 400 megs.
Has it been available before thru any channels? I'd think that at least a review site or two would be running it in benchmarks if so.... :eek2:

RAY16
10-03-03, 11:27 AM
Is "E3 Demo" just another name for the leak? Cause the leak I downloaded was only 367Megs.

digitalwanderer
10-03-03, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by RAY16
Is "E3 Demo" just another name for the leak? Cause the leak I downloaded was only 367Megs.
This one the filename is "doom III.exe" and is 398 and I can't seem to get the last 10% of it to save me nuts! :rolleyes:

GlowStick
10-03-03, 11:49 AM
Could it be the Doom 3 Alpha E3 leak that had the config files optmized?

You can VASTLY increase hte preforamnce if you optmize the config file and delete the sound files (witch could account for the smaller file size)

i could be wrong though, just thowing ideas out there

sxotty
10-03-03, 12:10 PM
DW can't you just open the partially completed file with hex workshop and take a peek? It would take less time than dowloading the whole thing probably and also it would tell you what is in it.

edit: a peak is a mountain, that is not what I meant :)

Rampant CL
10-03-03, 12:15 PM
hmm, appears the tracker is down - AGAIN

digitalwanderer
10-03-03, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by sxotty
DW can't you just open the partially completed file with hex workshop and take a peak? It would take less time than dowloading the whole thing probably and also it would tell you what is in it.
Probably, but I suck with a hex editor and I ain't got far to go...I'd rather be surprised. :)

NKVD2
10-03-03, 12:53 PM
It is a leaked e3 demo, with some new unofficial stuff (like patches made by users)........Ive seen that file on Imesh saying that it was demo, I figured - well, if it says "demo" I'll give it a try......Turned out to be a leak, then I deleted the file.....

Pafet
10-03-03, 07:57 PM
There was a version with compressed low-res textures and sounds

extra compression that is...

intercede007
10-03-03, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Pafet
There was a version with compressed low-res textures and sounds

extra compression that is...

It didn't have compressed sound files, that's partly why the performance was so bad.

The Baron
10-03-03, 08:44 PM
Okay, we are NOT talking about the D3 leak.

digitalwanderer
10-03-03, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
Okay, we are NOT talking about the D3 leak.
Fair enough, as long as you let me add that the file I found was NOT something new and was just a patch-together version of the Alpha leak and I've deleted it after satisfying myself of what it was.

Nothing new, I was wrong. :(