PDA

View Full Version : Half-Life 2 Delay theory.....

CaptNKILL
10-04-03, 10:27 PM
Well, Im bored, tired and this crazy conspiracy theory just popped into my head, so now your going to read it :p

I was reading around a bit and it seems like EVERYONE expected a HL2 demo or benchmark to be released on Sept. 30th to compensate for the delay. I mean, the demo\bench were supposed to be out during mid September if I remember correctly, so releasing that on the 30th seemed like a no brainer after the delay was announced.

But it wasnt released! Why? What would stop a demo or benchmark from being released? What needs to be done for a benchmark? You dont need to worry about bugs, because theres hardly anything to a benchmark, its all just a preset path with preset events. There arent a hundred levels that have to be fun to play, because you dont play a benchmark, and there only have to be a few different scenes.

So what could be the cause for not releasing a benchmark? All I can think is that Valve is attempting to optimize the game a bunch more so that Nvidia users can actually play it (How many copies are you going to sell when a LARGE chunk of the market is using the hardware that cant run your game for crap? And who is going to get blamed for it when your game is the only one that runs bad on a $500 5900 Ultra?). And obviously, it doesnt make sense to release a benchmark now, then have the full game perform completely different 2 months down the road. So they have to finish the game's optimizations before they can release the benchmark. If this is correct, then HL2 may perform (and look) different on Nvidia hardware before the game is released. Gabe never did say exactly what the cause of the delay was.....

Does this make sense?

OK, I just realized that I spaced out (fell asleep with my eyes open) for about 10 minutes and then this thread was here.... so if any of it doesnt make sense, blame the sleep gnome....

sleep gnome:wtf: .... where the hell did that come from? :confused:

sxotty
10-04-03, 11:40 PM
This has been put forward b4 by others.

rth
10-04-03, 11:47 PM
my conspiracy theory:

whoever hacked valve (probably nvidia) and stole the source code deleted valve's copy. now valve are trying to find a copy on kazaa but keep getting WarCraft 3.

thus the reason for not announcing the delay: if they'd downloaded a real copy of their source they'd be able to go gold in a matter of days, otherwise they'd have to use their last external backup which requires a couple of weeks' work to redo and check everything.

GlowStick
10-05-03, 12:02 AM
Here is a theroy.

Valve makes up release dates and blanetly lies.

or theroy 2

Valve hasent herd of a calendar yet : P

Edge
10-05-03, 12:25 AM
There's a couple theories on this. Here's the popular (though highly unprobable) ones:

ATI forced Valve to delay the game so that they could ship it with thier XT cards (since September 30th would've been to early to ship XT cards).

Nvidia payed off Valve to delay the game so that they had extra time to get their det 5x.xx drivers up to speed on it.

"teh haxorz" are holding it the rest of the HL2 content ransom and for some reason are forcing Valve to not release the game

Gabe was abducted by the CIA, who for some reason are forcing Valve to not release the game.

Gabe was abducted by aliens, who for some reason are forcing Valve to not release the game.

Gabe has some elaborate plot put togeather that will in the end make him the sole leader of the entire planet. What part the HL2 delay plays isn't known, but we may find out soon...

And then, there's a few crackpots out there who are saying things like "Oh, Valve just couldn't get it done in time". Yeah, like that's it :rolleyes:

GlowStick
10-05-03, 12:35 AM
For all we know, a machine could of been sent back in time, lets call it a "terminator" and its replaced gabe newell because its made of liquid metal.

anyways, this "terminator" has killed all valve employess and is changeing steam into what i call "skynet".

"Skynet" is a distributed program that will kill everyone and make robots!

Teh EDn!

-=DVS=-
10-05-03, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by GlowStick
For all we know, a machine could of been sent back in time, lets call it a "terminator" and its replaced gabe newell because its made of liquid metal.

anyways, this "terminator" has killed all valve employess and is changeing steam into what i call "skynet".

"Skynet" is a distributed program that will kill everyone and make robots!

Teh EDn!

OMG OMG :eek: :eek: :eek:

*FREAKS OUT AND RUNS IN PANIC*

WarheadMM
10-05-03, 03:00 AM
My theroy is that there is no HL2. ATi payed valve to fake making a game so people would buy more ATi cards

theultimo
10-05-03, 05:43 AM
Well, since Valve is have 100x the problems through steam right now then ordinary HL1, theyre trying to make steam stable first IMO.

PenguinJim
10-05-03, 08:34 AM
What is a theroy? (Or who is theRoy?)

Glowstick, yuo're chganing lteters arunod in wodrs on pruospe, rhigt? :)

Well just remember this: Valve cancelled Half Life 2 because they were fed up of people saying 'alot' (it's TWO WORDS, people!) :angel:

CaptNKILL
10-05-03, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by PenguinJim

Well just remember this: Valve cancelled Half Life 2 because they were fed up of people saying 'alot' (it's TWO WORDS, people!) :angel:

lol

Personally, I dont think there is anything sneaky going on. Hell, I barely believe my conspiracy theory.

That said, I really do think the game will perform much better on Nvidia cards by the time the bench is released (as well as the full game). I just dont think that anyone is getting payed off to do it. Obviously, not everyone has the money to buy a different video card just to play HL2 at a decent frame rate, so Valve is actaully getting screwed out of thousands (or millions) of sales when people KNOW the game wont work well with their Nvidia cards. If I owned Valve, I sure as hell wouldnt release a game knowing that only ATI users could play it smoothly. Regardless of whos fault it is (Nvidia's obviously, for not following DX9 specs), something has to be done, or Valve will lose a lot of money.

Let the optimization begin. :lol:

GlowStick
10-05-03, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by PenguinJim

Well just remember this: Valve cancelled Half Life 2 because they were fed up of people saying 'alot' (it's TWO WORDS, people!) :angel: Short answer Yes
Long answer Y e s

PenguinJim
10-05-03, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by CaptNKILL
Obviously, not everyone has the money to buy a different video card just to play HL2 at a decent frame rate, so Valve is actaully getting screwed out of thousands (or millions) of sales when people KNOW the game wont work well with their Nvidia cards. If I owned Valve, I sure as hell wouldnt release a game knowing that only ATI users could play it smoothly.
Everyone is saying that the nVidia cards can't run it smoothly. I think they can. I also think the ATi cards run it twice as smoothly. C'mon, people, the nVidia frame rate is half full, not half empty! :p

digitalwanderer
10-05-03, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by GlowStick
Short answer Yes
Long answer Y e s
Humor thief! :p

GlowStick
10-05-03, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Humor thief! :p muhahaha blatenly stolen from digitalwander : P

Vash
10-06-03, 10:38 AM
Um...here's my theory:

On Sept. 19th, someone stole the HL2 source code, which included code from the Steam client. Since Steam executes code on client computers, Valve decided it would be a bad idea to release until they could fix up Steam and make it more secure. Having people using your content delivery system to break into other people's machines = bad.

This hole is made worse since some people would be giving Steam their credit card numbers. So they decided to spend a little money now making things more secure rather than face a class action law suit.

PenguinJim
10-06-03, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Vash
Um...here's my theory:

On Sept. 19th, someone stole the HL2 source code, which included code from the Steam client. Since Steam executes code on client computers, Valve decided it would be a bad idea to release until they could fix up Steam and make it more secure. Having people using your content delivery system to break into other people's machines = bad.

This hole is made worse since some people would be giving Steam their credit card numbers. So they decided to spend a little money now making things more secure rather than face a class action law suit.

OK, OK. that's why they didn't release the Steam version of HL2. Why not release the boxed version or the ATi (single player only) XT version? Or the benchmark, for that matter? They're just being poopy.

WHERE'S MY BENCHMARK?!?! I have no idea how fast my computer is without it :)

Vash
10-06-03, 11:15 AM
Well, Steam's integrated into HL2 - if they released the boxed version, there's still be security holes that people could exploit and do many bad things to Valve customers.

As far as the benchy is concerned...I dunno. I would imagine everyone's working like a maniac trying to get Steam fixed, find the [explitive deleted] who stole the code and the rest of them are sweating bullets trying to come up with decent damage control.

Not to mention that the FBI is probably hunting around their network something fierce, looking for clues and such - would probably make working kinda hard.

NKVD2
10-06-03, 11:25 AM
thats why http://www.nextwish.org/comments.php?id=1065423477,35295

rth
10-06-03, 11:36 AM
Well, Steam's integrated into HL2 - if they released the boxed version, there's still be security holes that people could exploit and do many bad things to Valve customers.

As far as the benchy is concerned...I dunno. I would imagine everyone's working like a maniac trying to get Steam fixed, find the [explitive deleted] who stole the code and the rest of them are sweating bullets trying to come up with decent damage control.

Not to mention that the FBI is probably hunting around their network something fierce, looking for clues and such - would probably make working kinda hard.

this is karma for valve for not giving a **** when people tried to register steam and found that someone had stolen their CD key.

vampireuk
10-06-03, 11:37 AM
Yes I see how that makes everything even:rolleyes:

NKVD2
10-06-03, 11:43 AM
As far as the benchy is concerned...I dunno.

Unofficial benchmark is coming soon......(thats my theory, not confirmed or anything, I mean lots of people got their hands on source code)...:)