PDA

View Full Version : Desperate for advice - GeForce & XP

hairytash
10-05-03, 05:46 AM
I had what appeared to be the infinate loop problem so in desperation Ive upgraded from GeForce 3 Ti 200 to a FX 5200.
It appears to have almost solved the loop errors (still get 1 or 2 crashes to desktop) but now Im freezing in games. I use the latest drivers and bios update.
I need help and advice, my system is

Gigabyte GA-7VTXE+ mobo (VIA KT266A chipset)
AMD 1700XP
256 mb 266Mhz DDR Ram
Ge Force FX 5200 (or GeForce 3 Ti 200)
onbard AC97 sound
250 watt PSU

The FX card can be changed by my local dealer to a GA-7N400L nForce 2 mobo if the card isnt good enough.

What Id like to do is play games without lock ups freezes crashes etc, I can have either the mobo or FX card, but after Christmas I have a further 100 to use to buy the item I didnt get (Graphics card or Mobo). These are my last upgrades for about a year so Ive got to get them right

Please help / advise and halt my despair.

theultimo
10-05-03, 06:26 AM
What drivers you using? Have you installed the via 4in1 package? SP1?

hairytash
10-05-03, 07:02 AM
ive tried all drivers but currently using the latest after a fresh install of XP and yes im using SP1

sancheuz
10-05-03, 12:19 PM
Maybe you'll have to get motherboard change

SurfMonkey
10-05-03, 01:16 PM
What other hardware do you have in your machine?

It maybe your power supply isn't up to the job which could cause lockups when the system is under stress.

Also check what other processes are running in the background, some may cause unexpected problems.

theultimo
10-05-03, 04:46 PM
Also make sure you have adaquate cooling in your rig. I have a friend who constantly gets BSOD because of overheating..

-=DVS=-
10-05-03, 04:50 PM
Yeah get Nforce 2 mob that should solve your problems , GFFX 5200 is downgrade from Geforce 3 incase.

john19055
10-06-03, 08:24 PM
I would agree get the Nforce2 M.B because the FX5200 is not a upgrade.And I would get a bigger power supply too.

ragejg
10-06-03, 08:52 PM
GA-7VTXE+'s run fairly cool, and are very very stable... They seem to have been built to tight tolerances or something... I have one that has enjoyed 3 different power supplies, 3 different types of RAM, 4 cpu's, and nv AND an ati card... all on the same XP install (feb. this year)...

The one thing that got mine was some flaky Elixir PC2100 memory...

Have you tried any other ddr memory?

... btw, yer not runnin your PC2100 @ cas2 in BIOS, are you?

astroguy
10-07-03, 02:37 AM
try checking your northbridge cooling.
I used to get the infiinite loop error.. followed by artifacts on my screen.. turned out that my northbridge heatsink fell off...

hairytash
10-07-03, 06:18 PM
Northbridge heatsink is still ok, DDRRam is set to 2.5 CAS Latency (Kingston branded) but I dont have another strip to test.

What I have noticed is chip temp of 60C idle, 65C after play since case temp is only 30C that seems a little high but my dealer says its ok for 1700XP (not overclocked), but I figure he would say that since I always go to him for parts!What do you all think?

Out of interest where do you get the info that the FX5200 is not an upgrade over GF3Ti200, this months PCFormat (UK Publication) records frame rate increases of 100% over GFTi4800SE in both UT2003 and Gunmetal, and looking at Toms Hardware http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20020418/vgacharts-01.html
You can clearly see the GF4 is faster than my 3Ti200.

Or am i totally confused on this issue?

Kurgen
10-08-03, 05:38 AM
Your dealer is full of it, if he thinks 60 deg C is "OK" for an idling XP1700, or any CPU for that matter. I still have an XP 1600 in one PC, and it's never exceeded 53 deg C, after a huge session of GT Racing 2002. It usually cruises around the 43-48 degree range, and the HS/fan is getting on a bit now - I seem to remember it starting life at 39 degrees, when the HS was brand new.

K.

theultimo
10-08-03, 11:36 PM
Out of interest where do you get the info that the FX5200 is not an upgrade over GF3Ti200, this months PCFormat (UK Publication) records frame rate increases of 100% over GFTi4800SE in both UT2003 and Gunmetal, and looking at Toms Hardware http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20020418/vgacharts-01.html

Or am i totally confused on this issue? [/B][/QUOTE]
It all depends on what mode you are using. The 5200 sucks with DX9 + AF/AA.

Rytr
10-08-03, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by theultimo

Or am i totally confused on this issue?

You are not confused. The FX5200 just is a little lackluster when it comes to performance but you seem to be aware of that. The main thing is to take the advice given about cooling down your cpu. Try to keep max temps below 55C running default settings and preferably under 50C when overclocking. Different system setups respond differently but many times you will get heat indications (artifacts, BSOD, etc) when exceeding 55C on many motherboards. Temp readings should be used just as a guide because motherboards give varying cpu temp readings (between brands/models) because of the type of heat sensor used and where it is placed relative to the cpu.

hairytash
10-09-03, 09:12 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice esp Rytr, following your advice Id guess im probly running 5C too high. time for a new dealer to take a look me thinks.
Oh and thanks for the reassurance over the FX5200 card, hard to get a reasonable opinion at the moment with the whole HL2/Doom3 thing raging in the background.

hairytash
10-10-03, 07:59 PM
okay its back and its not cooling, Ive had an all round temp decrease of 5-7C and the system is still doing either of 2 things, either dumpback to desktop with a VisualC++ error or freezing in game
Any more thoughts anyone?

Rob_0126
11-03-03, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by ragejg
GA-7VTXE+'s run fairly cool, and are very very stable... They seem to have been built to tight tolerances or something... I have one that has enjoyed 3 different power supplies, 3 different types of RAM, 4 cpu's, and nv AND an ati card... all on the same XP install (feb. this year)...

The one thing that got mine was some flaky Elixir PC2100 memory...

Have you tried any other ddr memory?

... btw, yer not runnin your PC2100 @ cas2 in BIOS, are you?

I am running Elixir 2100 ddr ram. What are the signs of it heading out?

My system runs fine so far, and it's been over a year.

thanks

Robert

Rytr
11-03-03, 05:50 PM
If its been running fine for a year something else will go out before it does.
Ram, in my experience, usually goes out all at once. Maybe start overheating and creating artifacts just before it goes, then nothing except the beep.
I have two sticks of ram (Crucial) that has been running since Oct, 2000, almost non-stop 24/7. As long as it's not stressed or overheated should last a while longer.

Rob_0126
11-03-03, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Rytr
If its been running fine for a year something else will go out before it does.
Ram, in my experience, usually goes out all at once. Maybe start overheating and creating artifacts just before it goes, then nothing except the beep.
I have two sticks of ram (Crucial) that has been running since Oct, 2000, almost non-stop 24/7. As long as it's not stressed or overheated should last a while longer.

So your saying the typical life of memory is 4 years?

My system doesn't run too hot at all. I have intake and exhaust fans, along with a pci slot fan for the video card(heating element) :), and a 5000 rpm blower thermaltek hsf. The 1700 athlon runs, in game, 42c cpu, and oddly enough, 42c system :o

Robert

Rytr
11-03-03, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Rob_0126
So your saying the typical life of memory is 4 years?

My system doesn't run too hot at all. I have intake and exhaust fans, along with a pci slot fan for the video card(heating element) :), and a 5000 rpm blower thermaltek hsf. The 1700 athlon runs, in game, 42c cpu, and oddly enough, 42c system :o

Robert

No, I am not saying what the typical life of ram is. I really don't know as I change tooooooo often! :D
The particular ram I mentioned has been in constant use for almost that long in the same system (mobo). I've just upgraded the processors a couple of times. My daughter is using it at school and she is in her senior year with two to go. Maybe, just maybe, it will see her thru. :)