PDA

View Full Version : Poor Halo Performance

Pages : [1] 2

Eck
10-05-03, 01:12 PM
Though I never have figured out my problem stated in this thread (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17514), the games have always been playable. Now I got Halo, and the frames per second range from 10-35. It drops really low when there are a bunch of aliens on the screen, or if there is a lot of different textures behind a door, even if the door is closed. Is it just because Halo is a DX9 game and my card runs it in DX9 mode, or is it something else? Trying to blast aliens at 7 fps gets old really fast.

SurfMonkey
10-05-03, 01:21 PM
It looks like Halo on the PC just suffers from being a bad port. Many of the features in Halo (environment and bump mapping) are used throughout the game and this doesn't seem to work very well in it's pure PC incarnation.

Eck
10-05-03, 01:47 PM
Thanks, will do.

-=DVS=-
10-05-03, 02:21 PM
Play without AA , and lower res try 1024x768 or better yet 800x600 , should triple your scores ;)

astroguy
10-05-03, 03:13 PM
AA doesn't work with this game anyways(if you actually played it)

Turn off Luster(specular bumpmapping) and shadows, and it'll run smoothly.

Hanners
10-05-03, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by astroguy

It still gives a performance hit though, it just doesn't do anything - You still need to remember to turn it off to help the framerate.

Also, forcing Pixel Shader 1.1 will give you a few FPS on nVidia cards - Put a -use11 switch at the end of your Halo shortcut.

astroguy
10-05-03, 03:18 PM
as it will give you a few fps on ati cards too:rolleyes:

Hanners
10-05-03, 03:20 PM

I'm still testing Halo on a variety of different settings with both a 5900 and 9800 Pro. Using Pixel Shader 1.1 gained me less than 1 FPS on the ATi card, and 5 FPS on the 5900.

So :rolleyes: back at you. ;)

digitalwanderer
10-05-03, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Hanners
So :rolleyes: back at you.
Wait a minute, if we're having an eye-rolling contest I want in on it! :rolleyes:

Hanners
10-05-03, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Wait a minute, if we're having an eye-rolling contest I want in on it! :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

-=DVS=-
10-05-03, 04:44 PM

Turn off Luster(specular bumpmapping) and shadows, and it'll run smoothly.

umm ya i playd it :rolleyes2 , even if AA doesn't alias it cuts performance if you didn't know , i bet you didn't play it :rolleyes:

Halo thread (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18929&perpage=25&pagenumber=3)

theultimo
10-05-03, 04:49 PM
Funning 800x600 with a ti4200 in 32-bit with PS1.1, getting 60-20ish.. :) (No Ansio, no AA)

NKVD2
10-05-03, 08:23 PM
just on a side note - HALO ROX!!! :cool:

Shamrock
10-05-03, 10:14 PM
How about a NO fps at all in Halo. I cant get it to run, because I get this error (paraphrased)

Halo: COmbat Evolved cannot be started because it detected your Direct3d is disabled, please try enable it and restart Halo: Combat Evolved.

So, I went to M$'s website, did what htey asked, and STILL the same thing!

I even re-installed DX9b from the CD! I went through the DXDiag as well.

add me to the eye rolling! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ghola
10-06-03, 01:17 AM
runs nice without any over clocks, playable on all screen size settings, with minor adjustments for the highest res.

mrsabidji
10-06-03, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by Shamrock
How about a NO fps at all in Halo. I cant get it to run, because I get this error (paraphrased)

Halo: COmbat Evolved cannot be started because it detected your Direct3d is disabled, please try enable it and restart Halo: Combat Evolved.

So, I went to M$'s website, did what htey asked, and STILL the same thing!

I even re-installed DX9b from the CD! I went through the DXDiag as well.

add me to the eye rolling! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

This bug can be solved easily. It's caused by the refresh rate overriding method you must be using. Just add this parameter in the shortcut and you'll be able to play : '-vidmode 1024,768,85' (without the quotes). You can set any resolution you want and just make sure the refresh-rate is the same that your monitor uses (someone gave this tip in another thread, credit goes to him (can't remember who it was though, sorry)).

mrsabidji :rolleyes:

-=DVS=-
10-06-03, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by mrsabidji

This bug can be solved easily. It's caused by the refresh rate overriding method you must be using. Just add this parameter in the shortcut and you'll be able to play : '-vidmode 1024,768,85' (without the quotes). You can set any resolution you want and just make sure the refresh-rate is the same that your monitor uses (someone gave this tip in another thread, credit goes to him (can't remember who it was though, sorry)).

Yeah you don't need refresh overide software , when you have RefreshForce or whatever disabled , you can set refresh in game ;)

oqvist
10-06-03, 05:36 AM

Well no ATI doesnīt take much of a performance hit running with PS 2.0 vs 1.1 whereas nVidia do take quite a hit. I guess you have seen the various dx 9 benchmarks been out lately. Itīs nVidias poor PS 2.0 performance that kills the nVidia cards really and makes it real slow in dx 9 games.

Kruno
10-06-03, 07:13 AM
It's not so much that running PS 2.0 is worse than running PS 1.1, it's more along the lines of how many and what type of effects are activated with PS 2.0 over PS 1.1.

I haven't played Halo so I wouldn't have a clue.

Hanners
10-06-03, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Kruno
It's not so much that running PS 2.0 is worse than running PS 1.1, it's more along the lines of how many and what type of effects are activated with PS 2.0 over PS 1.1.

I haven't played Halo so I wouldn't have a clue.

I haven't looked closely at it yet, but there don't seem to be any noticable differences in the three different shader paths (1.1, 1.4 and 2.0) - In the timedemo at least.

Shamrock
10-06-03, 07:49 AM
ya, I got it fixed in another thread :D thanks guys

XForce
10-06-03, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by mrsabidji

Might have been me, over @ Rage3D
If so, I don't mind credit for being lucky.. :angel:

Cheers,
Mac

ReDeeMeR
10-06-03, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by NKVD2

RoachMojo
10-06-03, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by NKVD2

LordSpawn
10-06-03, 03:04 PM
I just bought halo and I was thinking about upgrading. Right now i am running it at 640x480 with the Luster and shadows off. I can get a pretty constant 30-20 fps.
Im using a 1.5 with geforce 3 ti200. I see that even people with new systems are having a hard time getting the fps up there. I just want to play 1024x786 everything on with a solid 30fps. If i dont put it on 30fps my mouse dosen't work properly for some reason. Anyway i just want to see what runs halo faster. 9800 pro or a 5900fx.