PDA

View Full Version : Half Life 2 may not even come out...

Pages : [1] 2

tangsta
10-07-03, 01:25 AM
I think we may see a serious delay for Half Life 2 or never see it at all. Actually I'd be surprised if it came out this year. Valve is going to be in a world hurt in the next few months for the source engine leak.

Why? because there are third party source licenses in there that was never meant for anyone to see. The major one would be the Havok physics engine. Valve broke the license agreement by exposing the source for others to see so you can gurantee they will get sued up the ass by these companies. We're not talking a couple million dollars here, I'm talking about the amount of money that can potentially bring Valve under for good. It's a serious matter and I hope Valve gets through this but I doubt it.

mrsabidji
10-07-03, 02:53 AM
In my opinion, it's the person(s) that hacked Valve who'll get sued for for that matter, or maybe M$ for the amount of unpatched security flaws left in IE/OL. Valve can't be held responsible for having been hacked, I mean, they are the victims here.
I don't see Valve giving up on HL2 after having worked for 5 years on it. They can make a lot of money on it, no matter the number of illegal copies that'll be available over the net. Almost every game is hacked nowadays and I'm sure HL2 will sell well, since no illegal copy can match the quality of the original game. A lot of people have been waiting for years to play HL2 and surely won't be satisfied with just a stupid ripped ISO (since it seems that the whole game being ripped off G.N. HDD story was just a rumor).

mrsabidji

Kruno
10-07-03, 02:56 AM
I doubt HL2 would sit with Duke Nukem Forever in terms of release date. :D

rth
10-07-03, 04:41 AM
I consider this to be the work of karma.

If valve hadn't spent so much time ****ing about forcing Steam on us to prevent piracy, the game would have been out ages ago and the leak probably wouldn't have happened.

Now, instead of some usual game piracy (single player would still be piratable, so a CD key for multiplayer would have been just as effective for anti-piracy) every game suffers from, valve are going to suffer from worse source-code piracy.

They aren't going to lose money from Source engine licenses - just because it's been leaked doesn't mean a 3rd party game developer doesn't need to buy a license. But it gives more options to the pirates and modders.

vampireuk
10-07-03, 06:42 AM
rth you have said this once already and once again I reply with, ahh so that makes it even then:rolleyes:

mavis
10-07-03, 07:19 AM
The game WILL be released...

... next year ...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/33260.html

On the bright side, the hackers only got a third of the code (according to Vivendi) so I guess that's better than the initial rumors ... still, sucks for Valve ... and for me (stupid me, I pre-ordered the damn game already)

:(

Kruno
10-07-03, 08:09 AM
Let's hope the demo will be out shortly. ;)

jimbob0i0
10-07-03, 08:24 AM
Please note that the press release was form Vivendi not Valve....

Check out tour/interview at http://www.halflifesource.com with Gabe for a diff POV

Voudoun
10-07-03, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by jimbob0i0

Check out tour/interview at http://www.halflifesource.com with Gabe for a diff POV

Thanks. The game will clearly still come out. I never thought there was anything in this `idea' that it wouldn't. Also confirms (for me at least) that these screenshots showing Half-Life 2 (which never looked like Half-Life 2) were probably fake.

Voudoun

digitalwanderer
10-07-03, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by jimbob0i0

Thanks Jim! :)

jimbob0i0
10-07-03, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Thanks Jim! :)

A pleasure m8 ;)

pingu
10-07-03, 09:31 AM
its probably an inside job :rolleyes:
they knew that they could not get it out
for sept/oct, so why not release a bit of
code and delay it a few months,
(in the process blame it on the hackers)

or it could be genuine hacking and then why
not use that to have abit of extra time :D

digitalwanderer
10-07-03, 09:43 AM
I dunno, the rumors this morning seem to be that Valve knows who did it and are now working on proving it. (Supposedly the hackers names are written on a whiteboard at Valve, but who really knows? )

rth
10-07-03, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
I dunno, the rumors this morning seem to be that Valve knows who did it and are now working on proving it. (Supposedly the hackers names are written on a whiteboard at Valve, but who really knows? )

knowing valve's security abilities the whiteboard is probably the one near the front door that tells people about new announcements.

anyone living near their HQ want to go walk past and check out who did it?

saturnotaku
10-07-03, 10:01 AM
April 2004 is definitely looking more realistic. EB changed the release date on their site from 11/21 to 3/31. Time to get the credit back on that pre-order and apply it to Max Payne 2.

UDawg
10-07-03, 10:03 AM
I'm tired of this. This is the reason I am done with online gaming. I was so looking forward to this game but now I'm not sure I will even be playing games by then. I'm getting too old for this any way.

Come on Dig, it's time you you and I to grow up and get a real life. :p

Ramshambo2001
10-07-03, 10:29 AM
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

NOOO NOOOO NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

*jumps off a cliff*

ReDeeMeR
10-07-03, 11:02 AM
Screw HL2 people, take back your preorders, this is rediculouse, there are plenty of great games and dev's who dont hype the **** out of their crap then delay because they want to incorporate some spyware crap software *cough*steam*cough* but keep denying it till the last minute and let us sheep buy the damn Radeon9800XT's because they got 6 ****in million

With those clowns at valve I wouldnt be surprised that it wont come 2004 either.

Descombobulator
10-07-03, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by mrsabidji
Valve can't be held responsible for having been hacked, I mean, they are the victims here.

Presumably the 3rd party licences they signed included some sort of duty of care. I find it staggering that Valve have been comprimised to such an extent that they have managed to to lose their most significant corporate asset. It beggars belief.

I do feel sorry for the poor sods, but ultimately they *are* responsible for protecting their assets. In this case, there appears to have been a catastrophic breakdown of security.

I did wonder whether, once comprimised, they might have set up 'honey-pot' to try and catch the scumbags in the act.

mrsabidji
10-07-03, 11:25 AM
Apparently, Vivendi did not confirm the delay... There's a news post about that on http://www.halflifesource.com/ frontpage. :confused:

mrsabidji

hithere
10-07-03, 12:04 PM
I can't imagine why Valve would purposefully miss the holiday season, then line up their relese to coincide more with a certain other 400lb gorilla of a game, over some source code that is, at this point, non-recoverable. Face it, even if they catch the crook, the code is still out there. Valve has that $8,000,000 contract with ATI concerning bundling of the game, I wonder if this represents a breach, as ATI, I'm sure, was banking on a holiday release as well. With that other game coming out around the same time as HL, that could be detrimental to ATi, as in gamers split the vote between running HL2 on an ATi card, and running that other game on an nvidia card, and thus, their 8-million dollars is for naught...

Of course, stranger things have happened.

vampireuk
10-07-03, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by rth
knowing valve's security abilities the whiteboard is probably the one near the front door that tells people about new announcements.

anyone living near their HQ want to go walk past and check out who did it?

Your dislike for Valve is getting very childish

mrsabidji
10-07-03, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by hithere
I can't imagine why Valve would purposefully miss the holiday season, then line up their relese to coincide more with a certain other 400lb gorilla of a game, over some source code that is, at this point, non-recoverable. Face it, even if they catch the crook, the code is still out there. Valve has that $8,000,000 contract with ATI concerning bundling of the game, I wonder if this represents a breach, as ATI, I'm sure, was banking on a holiday release as well. With that other game coming out around the same time as HL, that could be detrimental to ATi, as in gamers split the vote between running HL2 on an ATi card, and running that other game on an nvidia card, and thus, their 8-million dollars is for naught...

Of course, stranger things have happened.

I'll buy both games anyway. The sad thing is I was expecting HL2 to help me wait till DooM 3 is out. Well, MaxPaine2 should hit the stores this month...

mrsabidji

Spotch
10-07-03, 12:27 PM
One thing is for sure... If thisgame is delayed till April then ATI will completely lose all benefits from the bundling agreement with HL2. By then there will be a new generation of cards from both NV and ATI that are much better suited for playing DX9 games. ATI clearly made this deal to take advantage of their current gen cards' DX9 superiority and increase sales of said graphic parts. They surely cannot sell these cards now with a coupon for a game that noone will see til next year.

ATI better get a refund!

CaptNKILL
10-07-03, 12:30 PM
uh... I really cant f#cking believe this......

If I met the person who did this, I would personally beat the living sh!t out of them. Id also make sure to break their hands\fingers so they couldnt type anymore... maybe a couple .22 rounds to the shins\knee caps for good measure.

If anyone finds these guys, I hope (seriously) that they are beat senseless by the people who find them, fined for millions of dollars (in damages to Valve and the game market), put in jail for a few years, and get plenty o prison love while they are there.

I sincerely hope that these dumb asses are cought and get the above treatment.

:kill: :flame: :bs: :bash: