PDA

View Full Version : UFO:Aftermath

MUYA
10-07-03, 08:53 AM
http://www.computergames.ro/articole.php?optiune=show_review&review=317

Is this game out in shops yet? I abso' used to love the xcom2 Terror from the deep! Was kick a$$ game that!! I hope this games is too and by the review above, looks to be!!!

I read it was being finalised but hadn't thought it was relased

MUYA

Sotos
10-07-03, 02:16 PM
I loved Terror from the deep it was GREAT :D

I have not seen these game out until now it is strange :confused:

From the review score it seems as a good game (but not that great)

Is it with rounds or is it realtime too

I hope has a realtime mode as was with Xcom3 i am tired with rounds

MUYA
10-07-03, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Sotos

I hope has a realtime mode as was with Xcom3 i am tired with rounds
Well I quite like rounds ...maybe they have an option for both? real time and turn based?

Must get for me!

MUYA

MUYA
10-07-03, 02:24 PM
Time flow is controlled in much the same way you use a VCR. You have pause and play buttons plus two speed settings. The action is very streamlined and logical: you hit pause, see what technologies are worth developing, look at the troops outfit screen, see what missions require you attention and then hit play.

Seems a real time.....

MUYA

Sotos
10-07-03, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by MUYA
Seems a real time.....

MUYA

From their Official site

they say is is not exactly realtime like was in Xcom3 because you lose the control of the game so they have made changes...

It is something between REALTIME and Rounds from what i understand with Pauses in every attack move :)

Now i am hearing good reviews about it but some really bad too :(

Some they say it is not as good as it is with previous Xcom

The game engine graphics are poor (they had promised to be great) but the worst is not that of course as it is a strategy game

The worse is the gameplay that is not good enough and is complex... nothing good as it was with the previous Xcom series according a review in a game magazine that gave 74% score :(

DaveW
10-07-03, 02:54 PM
I wish they would just remake the original XCOM game. Support higher resolution graphics, make the level engine polygon based 3D, better character graphics and animation etc, but keep the combat and gameplay the same. I think the original XCOM was the best of all of them. It was the only game set in today's time-line, that you could actually relate to.

Sotos
10-07-03, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by DaveW
I wish they would just remake the original XCOM game. Support higher resolution graphics, make the level engine polygon based 3D, better character graphics and animation etc, but keep the combat and gameplay the same. I think the original XCOM was the best of all of them. It was the only game set in today's time-line, that you could actually relate to.

I have to agree

But even if it was not 3d and was 2d just like the previous series ( or just like Commandos 2 etc) i would not had any problem

Xcom 1 was the best but later series (Xcom2 and XCOM3) were not bad at all

Now as about these Aftermath i hear mixed staff (some say good some say is dissapointment and the worse of the series)...I would like to see more if i am going to buy it

Any DEMO???

MUYA
10-07-03, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by DaveW

I would agree with you on that too!!!

:p

MUYA

PenguinJim
10-07-03, 06:20 PM
I have this game!

I've had it for a few days, sorry I haven't posted about it already. It's GOOD - kind've like the game X-Com Apocalypse should have been.

It's not GREAT though - it looks average/good for a 2001 game, but it does seem kind've playable - I keep finding 6 hours have slipped by! UFO: Enemy Unknown (I think you Americans called it X-Com: UFO Defense) was a favourite game of mine back in '95 (I know, it was over a year old already, but I didn't get my PC until Chrimbo '94!), and the aliens had a distinctive look and feel. Also the graphics were clear, bright and colourful. Aftermath has less distinctive enemies, and the graphics are a lot less bright (and certainly a lot less colourful).

However, given the depressive setting of the game, the graphics suit it quite well. There's that global map view from the original too, and it's all 3D and schway! :)

I haven't completed it yet, but it's engrossing and stuff, and your troops get XP and level up and stuff, and the Interceptors vs. UFOs bit is strangely compelling (despite being a 'retreat' option away from being 100% non-interactive!).

So, uh, stuff! It's good! And I'm glad! But no snakemen (yet) :( or scary scary Chrysalids :cool:

PS. Anyone who's already got it and has experienced odd pauses even with a gig of RAM and a SATA RAID-0 array (for example) should get the patch! www.fileshack.com has it.

Greg
10-07-03, 07:12 PM
I am looking forward to this game. The review says it's good. The game is simultaneous turn based I believe eg. 'We go', each side takes their turn at the same time, then the result is played out. But I may be wrong. The review did mention turn based and the VCR style control, so maybe it is more 'Stop action' instead. It would be interesting to know if the developer is planning to support and improve the game over time. My biggest disapointment from the review was limited descructable environments. I paticularly liked making my own doorways, and leveling buildings with cruise missiles in the XCom series. I also got as close to scared as possible with night time, terror missions with Cyrsalids around. In fact I used to have my soldiers carry a live grenade in one hand, so it they got attacked by a Chrsalid, they'd blow themselves up, rather than be impregnated by them.

PenguinJim
10-07-03, 07:15 PM
Eep! Gosh, I'm such a ditz :)

It's real-time (three different speeds, slow, normal and fast) with a pause function. The game pauses when you hit space, or you see a new alien, or someone is hit hard, or someone blinks (I recommend turning off some of the 'pause the action' settings). Works far better than X-Com Apocalypse (IMO).

Greg
10-07-03, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by PenguinJim
It's real-time (three different speeds, slow, normal and fast) with a pause function.

Good to hear. I quite like the 'play at your own pace' action.

In other good news, I forgot to mention that the review says that this game captures the atmosphere of the previous XCom games.

-=DVS=-
10-08-03, 04:15 AM
Bad thing about aftermath is it got realy ugly textures and very low poly count :o , simple detailed 2D would look so much better :( , then poorly made 3D game.......

I wish they would remake original UFO : Enemy Unkown could fuse it with XCOM : Terror from the deep , that would rock make it beautifull 2D or 3D with shader effects like shadows and all , would be as popular as Doom 3 and HalfLife 2 ;)

Riptide
10-08-03, 11:28 AM
I wish they would remake Wing Commander with updated gfx/sounds. :)

There might still be enough of us old pilots sitting around that would gladly pay the $50 for a revamped game such that it might actually make a profit.