PDA

View Full Version : hl2 and source code, nvidia vs ati


Pages : [1] 2

hydr0
10-07-03, 11:37 PM
after all the drama about ati vs nvidia, isnt it funny how attention is now attracted to the hl2 source code leak and how that conveniently happened during nvidia's current problems with hl2, then hl2 date gets moved back......beginning to wonder; is hl2 purposely delayed for nvidia to fix their screw ups?

i love nvidia but ummmm i was just thinkin about how convenient that is for nvidia knowing their relationship with the team...

hydro

Ruined
10-08-03, 12:26 AM
Theory holds no water. The Havok engine and Miles Audio engine source codes were also included in the leak, engines Valve licensed from other companies. They are probably very pissed off at Valve and could probably try to sue. The source code is also very real, and to think Valve would purposely leak their code and a beta of their game for Nvidia is foolish.

That being said, their is no denying that the leak is positive news for Nvidia.

B&R
10-08-03, 08:52 AM
WOW!! nice theory but i dont think it is true.

GlowStick
10-08-03, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by hydr0
after all the drama about ati vs nvidia, isnt it funny how attention is now attracted to the hl2 source code leak and how that conveniently happened during nvidia's current problems with hl2, then hl2 date gets moved back......beginning to wonder; is hl2 purposely delayed for nvidia to fix their screw ups?

i love nvidia but ummmm i was just thinkin about how convenient that is for nvidia knowing their relationship with the team...

hydro The date moved back by nvidia,
lets think about that one, Valve raves about their partner ship with ATi, so if anyones holding the game back, would oviously be ATi witch their such strong relationship.

or gee, could valve just have some kind of history of never releasing a game on time ever?

EMunEeE
10-08-03, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Ruined
Theory holds no water. The Havok engine and Miles Audio engine source codes were also included in the leak, engines Valve licensed from other companies. They are probably very pissed off at Valve and could probably try to sue. The source code is also very real, and to think Valve would purposely leak their code and a beta of their game for Nvidia is foolish.

That being said, their is no denying that the leak is positive news for Nvidia.

or maybe NVidia hacked Valve and leaked the source themselves.....

NKVD2
10-08-03, 12:11 PM
I feel sorry for Gabe and those who worked hard on the game...I even gonna buy 2 copies of HL-2 when it comes out...THEY DESERVED THE PAYCHECK!

kmf
10-08-03, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by NKVD2
I feel sorry for Gabe and those who worked hard on the game...I even gonna buy 2 copies of HL-2 when it comes out...THEY DESERVED THE PAYCHECK!


okay...:rolleyes:

Killtek
10-08-03, 02:30 PM
NKVD2 yeah.. feel sorry for Gabe and Valve company... they'll screw you when you'll have to pay $9/month for STEAM... on top of your retail purchase (two copies) of HL2...

I can't wait for HL2 like most of you. Yes, VALVE appears to have developed a kick ass sequel. BUT they are in the business of making money why else would they be kissing up to the modders. They know the Mods will make HL2 another cash cow for the next 5 years.

Anways, looking at Gabe's size... don't think he needs more money for pizza and hamburgers.. :D

StealthHawk
10-08-03, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Killtek
NKVD2 yeah.. feel sorry for Gabe and Valve company... they'll screw you when you'll have to pay $9/month for STEAM... on top of your retail purchase (two copies) of HL2...

Who is going to pay to play for a single player game.

And how many of these damn threads do we need!

hydr0
10-08-03, 07:31 PM
im not saying that any of that is true, i was just sitting here thinking about it all and that just popped into my head so i decided to express it to see what kind of things others thought. but it could make sense in the least way...

Skynet
10-08-03, 07:37 PM
or maybe NVidia hacked Valve and leaked the source themselves.....
Bingo!
Always look for motive. Who had the most motive to delay HL2? Easy answer.

SuLinUX
10-08-03, 08:20 PM
Valve uses Outlook express with there email, ahhh the good old buffer overflow hole.

Valve are stupid just for using a piece of crap like OE.

Hmm, yer like the theory that the earth was flat. :rolleyes:

theultimo
10-08-03, 09:58 PM
Well nVidia has been low this past year, but I think this is not the fault of nVidia. If anything, they can check the backups/etc and trace it, so who knows?

MrNasty
10-09-03, 09:28 AM
I admire the hacker for leaking it to the public when he could of easily sold it to nvidia or any other graphics company for tons of money :p

pars_andy
10-09-03, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by hydr0
after all the drama about ati vs nvidia, isnt it funny how attention is now attracted to the hl2 source code leak and how that conveniently happened during nvidia's current problems with hl2, then hl2 date gets moved back......beginning to wonder; is hl2 purposely delayed for nvidia to fix their screw ups?

i love nvidia but ummmm i was just thinkin about how convenient that is for nvidia knowing their relationship with the team...

hydro

Here's another theory.....

ATI pay large amounts of cash to have ATI badges all over Half Life 2 and have the game bundled with their new cards out on the 30th.
Valve then go to ATI and go...sorry we've ****ed up. Game aint gonna be ready anywhere near your card launch. ATI are furious. They want something for their money....which leads us to shaderday....sponsored of course by ATI.
Shaderday is basically a set of benchmarks using Valve configured machines which show ATI well ahead of Nvidia. They also slate Nvidia drivers. Nvidia say they're baffled as to why they didn't use the 50 series drivers. Valve wont let anyone test with these drivers under any circumstances. They hint at all sorts of cheats in the drivers but forbid anyone from checking for themselves.
Then they announce the game is delayed but we'll get the benchmark. Then the source is stolen and we don't get the benchmark or the game for about 6 months.
One theory might be that the delay was going to happen all along and shaderday was a staged event to appease ATI given the amount of money they've now apparently wasted. I mean...what the hell was that about - a set of benchmarks run entirely under their control with drivers of their choosing on a benchmark which we've yet to see for a game which won't be out for 6 months....at least! Why on earth did shaderday happen? It has no relevance as the game won't even necessarily be targetted at present hardware. It's essentially every bit as bad as the doom3 benchmarks.
Sounds like a nonsense theory? Well I think it might be...but it's every bit as believable as some of the rubbish I've read on here. There is no conspiracy and in terms of marketing, ATI and Nvidia are as bad as each other.

And I couldn't give a toss if Half Life 2 is delayed forever. Why? Because Valve have told me it'll run like **** on my card. Why should I care?

astroguy
10-09-03, 05:51 PM
actually if anyone heard news about the leak...
THE LEAK IS WHAT VAVLE HAS DONE SO FAR...
they aren't even close to finishing HL2.. they are just lying and blaming it on the source code release.

Yes it will take valve at least another 5 months if not more to get it till it's READY TO RELEASE. cuz it's not even close to done yet... they balantly lied, and got caught doing it...

poursoul
10-09-03, 05:53 PM
that was an awsome post andy

GlowStick
10-09-03, 05:55 PM
very very good post, very true.

Lucien1964
10-09-03, 06:01 PM
No more posts!! Please!!

hydr0
10-09-03, 07:01 PM
Hmm, yer like the theory that the earth was flat.

the earth is flat what are you talking about? :confused:

LiquidX
10-09-03, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by poursoul
that was an awsome post andy

I concur!:)

goblin
10-10-03, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by $E Mun$
or maybe NVidia hacked Valve and leaked the source themselves..... \

Nvidia has proved that it certainly is not beneath them to do something of that nature.

Someone leaked the ATI slides
Someone bullied 3dmark into changing their statement on driver cheats
someone has bullied small web sites for years.

If I had to gamble going on nothing but an educated guess based on what I know about the company and how shameless they can be. I would bet that NVIDIA had someone hack into valve.

Millions are at stake. If halflife 2 were out today it would really be bad for Nvidia as we all know how slow the FX cards are going to run it with full precision. If that release could somehow be delayed until Nividia gets a new card out then Nvidia would get some beathing room.

This is probably the best thing that could have happened to Nvidia. Nice guys do finish last :)

simwiz2
10-11-03, 12:43 AM
There is no comparison between some benchmark cheats and actually hacking into a company's computers and stealing their source code. One will get nVidia's reputation reduced with the enthusiasts who make up a small part of the video card market, while the other would have nVidia facing massive lawsuits, and massive reputation loss to everyone, not just enthusiasts.

goblin
10-11-03, 12:36 PM
Really?

So Nvidias morals and fear of getting caught would stop them.

Hey in case you are not up on current events the ATI XT/HL2 combo would be a huge blow for Nvidia if it were to hit the streets.

Nvidia is painted into a corner. Desparate situations call for desparate measures.

At the very least Nvidia is grinning ear to ear about Valve/ATI woes.



Originally posted by simwiz2
There is no comparison between some benchmark cheats and actually hacking into a company's computers and stealing their source code. One will get nVidia's reputation reduced with the enthusiasts who make up a small part of the video card market, while the other would have nVidia facing massive lawsuits, and massive reputation loss to everyone, not just enthusiasts.

reever2
10-11-03, 02:49 PM
If the leak was done on purpose by valve or nvidia they would be sued faster than you can say "source engine"