PDA

View Full Version : Serious Sam Engine

Pages : [1] 2

ragejg
10-08-03, 08:55 AM
1. Are there any other games using this engine?

2. Does this engine have any features that make it hold up well vs more current engines?

3. Any word on any new Serious Sam games coming soon?

Riptide
10-08-03, 10:19 AM
Not sure about any technical details with regard to the engine but IMHO it still holds up as far as looks go. At least, the second game does anyway. The first one still looks alright but the second is better. I particularly liked the ending battle of the second game. :)

I think croteam is developing another sequel but their website doesn't seem to get updated very often so who knows when it'll be out...

saturnotaku
10-08-03, 10:28 AM
I wish more games would use the Serious Engine, especially the tweaked one from the second game. It still looks really good, even compared to UT2003. It's definitely scalable as I've had the game run perfectly fine on older, GeForce2-class hardware. I've heard it's cheap to license (comparatively) as well. Plus there are all kinds of in-game tweaking options for graphics, sound, etc. at your disposal - have you ever been through the advanced options menu in SS:TSE? The sheer number of adjustments you can make is mind-blowing. Oh yeah - another thing I really dig about this engine is the ability to play the game in widescreen mode. :cool:

Riptide
10-08-03, 10:29 AM
Another thing that I always liked - the $20 pricetag. Talk about great value for your money.

saturnotaku
10-08-03, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Riptide
Another thing that I always liked - the $20 pricetag. Talk about great value for your money.

Hell yeah. And the difference between Serious Sam and other games in this price range is that SS is actually good. :eek: If Croteam continues to develop stuff like SS and keeps them at the same price point I absolutely will continue to support them because they're doing it right with their marketing and pricing.

ragejg
10-08-03, 11:00 AM
I for one like the split-screen support...

:D

StealthHawk
10-08-03, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by ragejg
3. Any word on any new Serious Sam games coming soon?

Serious Sam2 may come out in the middle of 2004. See Croteam's website: http://www.croteam.com/

druga runda
10-09-03, 10:31 AM
Yeah!

:super:

Come on SS2 :afro:

schuey74
10-09-03, 02:45 PM
Serious Sam:SE is absolutely my favorite PC game. This is the game I always go back to playing. I just love playing the Grand Cathedral level on Serious and seeing how far I can make it on one life. Mental is just the hard difficulty with flashing enemies so that gets pretty easy after a while.......

fiending for SS2!:smoking:

Smokey
10-09-03, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
Serious Sam2 may come out in the middle of 2004. See Croteam's website: http://www.croteam.com/

Cant wait to see this, as we have seen what they have done in the past, cant imagine what they can do now they have a bit more money behind them :thumbsup:

Mike89
10-09-03, 05:45 PM
I'm with you guys, I think the Serious Sam engine is awesome. I am quite surprised no one else has used it yet. It still has potential even now. It would be interesting to see what more could be done with it.

Edge
10-09-03, 07:48 PM
I agree, it is a very solid engine. Though I think they tried pushing it a bit too much in SS:SE, even 1 ghz machines (which at the time was very common) had very noticable slowdown in some places. But I LOVE the customization of it, you can tweak almost anything in the options menu! And of course it's very scaleable, it seems to run great on everything from a 600 mhz computer to an Xbox, and of course the 2+ ghz with 9x00/GFFX cards run it terrificly. I had some good times playing SS1 on my 750 mhz computer with a Voodoo 3. And coop is a blast.

Great price for a good game. I must admit, when I first saw the box in the store and saw it was a budget title, I expected it to be a horrible game. But after seeing some positive reviews on it, I decided to pick it up, and now I'm glad I did.

Riptide
10-09-03, 07:55 PM
SS:SE runs great on a 2ghz machine. ;)

saturnotaku
10-09-03, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Riptide
SS:SE runs great on a 2ghz machine. ;)

It ran great on my GeForce3/AthlonXP 1800+ machine, too. :D

Mike89
10-09-03, 10:05 PM
It also runs pretty good on a 3 ghz machine! :jumping:

ragejg
10-09-03, 10:09 PM
It also runs good on a 733mhz machine!!! :D:D:D

Mike89
10-09-03, 11:37 PM
It also runs good on a 386. Oops :eek:

Riptide
10-10-03, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by ragejg
It also runs good on a 733mhz machine!!! :D:D:D
I first played it on a 850mhz P3 w/ti4600 and it ran well. Even in 1600x1200. No FSAA or AS ofcourse. :)

SuLinUX
10-10-03, 07:27 PM
That SS engine is a frickin piece of class by any standard, I mean who can claim to render all that detail and have 10 zillion monster on the screen as well.

I got SS gold edition and it frickin rocks in Linux as well.

Croteam--> :hug: <----Me

Mike89
10-10-03, 07:54 PM
Yeah the game is a fraggers delight, that's for sure. :super: In most games you may shoot a couple of hundred enemies. In this game it's like over 5000. Heh heh.

ChrisW
10-12-03, 10:42 PM
I would love to see a DirectX 9/OpenGL 1.5 version of Serious Sam. Of course, I would have to purchase one of those nice, fancy cards everyone else has to play it.

Sledge
10-14-03, 08:11 AM
The only upcoming title I'm familiar with using the Serious Engine is Alpha Black Zero (http://www.alpha-black-zero.com/)

Smokey
10-14-03, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Sledge
The only upcoming title I'm familiar with using the Serious Engine is Alpha Black Zero (http://www.alpha-black-zero.com/)

Looks interesting, certainly one to keep an eye on ;)

Mike89
10-14-03, 03:49 PM
There is sure not much info about it that I could find. How do you know it's using the Serious Sam engine? I didn't see any references about it. EBgames doesn't even have it listed.

Sledge
10-14-03, 06:06 PM
Interview with Khaeon, makers of ABZ (http://www.seriouszone.com/cms/articles/4_1.php)