PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about MaxPayne2?

Pages : [1] 2

digitalwanderer
10-10-03, 10:40 AM
The game sort of snuck up on me and I just realized I have no clue if it's a dx8 or dx9 game, what it's about, or anything!

Anyone heard anything? I'm dying to play it! :D

darkmiasma
10-10-03, 11:11 AM
dx8

Vash
10-10-03, 11:25 AM
Really? Dx8? That's awesome! Granted, it'd be cool to have some Dx9 goodness in there, but this means my GF4 will be able to pull off all the graphical goodies.

The only thing I know about the game is that Max has decided to work for the police dept again, and that it involves characters from the first game, and there's a love story in there, too.

Come on, 15th!

digitalwanderer
10-10-03, 11:35 AM
Woo-hoo! Sounds great, I can't wait! :D

Omega53
10-10-03, 03:12 PM
Ok here's what I've found out so far. His love interest ends up being the head person behind whoever he is trying to stop. Then she ends up getting killed by max in an accident. He then finds out she was really a man and commits suicide. :D

|JuiceZ|
10-10-03, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Neo_Radeon9700
Ok here's what I've found out so far. His love interest ends up being the head person behind whoever he is trying to stop. Then she ends up getting killed by max in an accident. He then finds out she was really a man and commits suicide. :D

LOL!! I thought that was the storyline for the expansion pack? :D :p

Can't wait till this ships next week, give me a break from the HL2 soap opera....

AthlonXP1800
10-10-03, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
The game sort of snuck up on me and I just realized I have no clue if it's a dx8 or dx9 game, what it's about, or anything!

Anyone heard anything? I'm dying to play it! :D

Originally posted by darkmiasma
dx8

Well I dont think it use DirectX 8, I believed it use DirectX 9 because the game use shaders and Havok 2.0 physics engine just the same thing with Half Life 2.

Quote below found on May Payne 2 interview from Slacknews (http://www.shacknews.com/extras/interviews/093003_maxpayne2_1.x):

Petri Järvilehto: To be honest, we are not big fans of reciting technical feature bullet point lists. Don’t get me wrong – we think that the tech is outstanding and we are thrilled with the visuals and graphical leaps made - however, in the end it is how the technology is used that matters.

To sum it up, we basically started out by taking the game engine apart and then rewriting big chunks of it. The radiosity lighting has been completely re-written, we got rid of all of the old AI code and took the AI to a new level of sophistication, and the texture resolutions and polycounts have been boosted to lot higher levels. All of the skins are now using DX shaders (so yes, light reflects properly on the eyes) which makes a world of difference on the lighting if you have the hardware that can take advantage of it. Also, we’ve taken the particle systems much further.

We’ve also fully integrated Havok 2.0 physics engine. The physical objects are also totally material dependent, so solid metal objects will really look, behave and sound heavy when they hit different surfaces and so on. The impact has been awesome and we’ve been able to bring most things into the physics simulation so objects are no longer static … it’s just cool, we’re getting a lot of kicks out of playing around with the physics.

digitalwanderer
10-10-03, 04:23 PM
All of the skins are now using DX shaders (so yes, light reflects properly on the eyes) which makes a world of difference on the lighting if you have the hardware that can take advantage of it.
Uhm....not meaning to flame or provoke, but does that mean that the R3xx will have an advantage over the NV3x in MP2 too?

DMA
10-10-03, 04:55 PM
This game will rock..hard :p

If you haven't seen the new trailer (released two days ago), so go ahead and watch it :)

2 minutes video with cool action here (48 MB) (http://www.gamershell.com/download_3632.shtml) .
I guess they just love the Havoc engine :D

Well worth the download.

Nutty
10-10-03, 04:58 PM
Uhm....not meaning to flame or provoke, but does that mean that the R3xx will have an advantage over the NV3x in MP2 too?

Not particularly. Depends if they've used any features currently lacking on NV cards. If its heavy in PS2.0 calculations (Unlikely IMO) then it may be faster on ATI cards thats all.

P.S. Cor. check my posts count.. heh..

NAZCA M12
10-10-03, 05:08 PM
Not likely, depends on whether nVIDIA or ATI have a 6 million USD deal with Remedy :D :D :D I'm getting sick of this :p

darkmiasma
10-10-03, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by AthlonXP1800
Well I dont think it use DirectX 8, I believed it use DirectX 9 because the game use shaders and Havok 2.0 physics engine just the same thing with Half Life 2.

Quote below found on May Payne 2 interview from Slacknews (http://www.shacknews.com/extras/interviews/093003_maxpayne2_1.x):

Right in the shacknews interview it says "we basically started out by taking the game engine apart and then rewriting big chunks of it."

Which means its still DX8

AthlonXP1800
10-10-03, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by darkmiasma
Right in the shacknews interview it says "we basically started out by taking the game engine apart and then rewriting big chunks of it."

Which means its still DX8

texture resolutions and polycounts have been boosted to lot higher levels

Do it ring any bells? :)

Do you remember back in GTA: Vice City interview stated that the PC version will have higher texture resolutions, that are the features build in DirectX 9 require.

OWA
10-10-03, 06:01 PM
From various articles in gaming mags, they say it looks amazing but it didn't sound like they had gotten to test gameplay b/c they made comments like "here's hoping it plays as good as it looks".

They also said they've stylized the action even more to make it match the cinematic style presentation or something to that effect. If you want a direct quote I'll look through the article again. :)

I'm looking forward to it. It's the only game I've actually finished in recent memory (although I had to cheat through probably the last third of it just to complete it).

OWA
10-10-03, 06:22 PM
Here is some info from one of the mags...

- game combat highly polished to enhance the game's cinematic style shootouts

- enemies are supposed to land on objects properly so if you kill someone near a railing they may fall and bend over the railing like a normal person might or roll down stairs if shot by the stairs

- objects in the environment can be destroyed so be careful what you hide behind

- enemy AI has been improved so they don't instinctively know where you are but have to hunt you down based on where you were last heard or seen

- npcs will take cover and avoid danger (from flames and grenades and stuff).

They have seen some impressive screenshots but for the most part, the info is just tidbits given to them by Rockstar.

New: Havok physics engine, enemies react to the environments realistically, crashing through scaffolds, twisting over ledges, etc.

Example: you shot some guy in bullet time and while still in slo-mo you hit him with more bullets thus changing his direction, etc.

They're saying the in-game cinematics are impressive. Less characters but better development, similar length to the original.

Overall, everyone seems to have gotten screenshots and say it looks impressive but no one seems to have gotten to test it. That seems a little strange since it is supposed to be released at the end of October (according to the mags).

None of the previews I've seen talk about directx 8 or 9 or anything to the technical aspects of the game other than mentioning the havok engine.

Edit: found a longer preview in CG and they say it looks amazing "with greatly improved lighting effects capable of real-time shadows, cubemapping, and a realistic physics back-bone thanks to a little help from licensed Havok technology". They also mention that during the bullet-time the effects have been greatly exaggerated making it very dramatic.

Okay, still no real details just more nuggets of generalities.

digitalwanderer
10-10-03, 06:26 PM
I remember reading something also now about how bullet-time was tweaked a touch. The more people you kill while in bullet-time extends the bullet-time, it's meant to encourage people to play the game like Max Payne rather than hanging back and plinking people off.

I'm VERY enthused about this now, I gotta go download that clip and start drooling! :D

OWA
10-10-03, 06:34 PM
Wow, wow, wow, DW, 5000 posts!!! Congrats. :) They need to give you a 5K pin or something. That's an impressive number.

digitalwanderer
10-10-03, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by OWA
Wow, wow, wow, DW, 5000 posts!!! Congrats. :) They need to give you a 5K pin or something. That's an impressive number.
Gads, really? I kind of find it embarressing actually.

NAZCA M12
10-10-03, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by OWA
They're saying the in-game cinematics are impressive. Less characters but better development, similar length to the original.

Aaaargh! :fu: :fu: :fu: I hope the length was referring to the in-game cinematics rather than the game's duration cause i've...

...i've read that the devs heard the complains about the game being too short and that the length on 2 would be double the one of MP1. After the events of MP1 he returns to his old job of being a detective. Then Max meets an old "friend" of his (really now? :angel: ), the mysterious Mona Sax. Max and Sax (sounds about right to me), become VERY VERY close but she is connected somehow to the bad guys until she is thought of being suspicious of murder. I suppose that Max either cleans this mess with her aid, or accepts the blame himself in order to protect her and from then on, he finds himself in quite similar conditions to the first one. That's what i've heard :p

SuLinUX
10-10-03, 10:01 PM
:jumping:

Fricking yes, Max Payne is back, check to video's out :afraid: :drooling: :drooling:

jAkUp
10-10-03, 10:25 PM
one of the developers said in a forum that max payne does use some dx9 features

NickSpolec
10-10-03, 10:26 PM
Gads, really? I kind of find it embarressing actually.

Yes, yes you should.

I signed up a month after you and have only something like 2 percent of the posts you have :P

Add those up with your post count from Rage3D and it equals one forum bum.

jAkUp
10-10-03, 10:29 PM
Yes you will. There are some DX9 only features that boost the graphics.

AthlonXP1800
10-11-03, 12:59 AM
:eek: Oh my god! the movie clip looked so real as watching a movie. :afraid: :drooling:

I wonder what will happened to Max when he shot by a sniper, then here could be 1 of 2 versions of next Max Payne game called...

Max Payne 3: The Rise of Max Payne - The story is about Max is rise from his wound shot by a sniper and back to work as cop again. :D

or...

Max Payne 3: The Clone of Max Payne - The story is about 1 year later after Max was shot, unbeknown to him when he was shot, 4 CIA agents sealed off the area and took his blood sample for the US government's top secret cloning project to clone Max Payne, the CIA agents expected Max to die within an hour. But CIA plan not exactly gone as planned. Max is saved when the ambulance arrived the scene after CIA agents escaped. One day Max received the shock of his life when he bumped into another Max at police station, Max clone was charged with theft as he had no memory collection. Max find out the background and his job is to destroy the government's top secret cloning facility to prevent the human cloning. :angel:

MrNasty
10-11-03, 02:48 PM
Trust me for this game RADEON 9500 upwards is best.

Nvidia = meh