PDA

View Full Version : Semi-newish doom3 shot..

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Nutty
10-10-03, 02:42 PM
Apparently this has been in magazines, but some site has just got a decent copy of it.. not amazing picture, but nice anyway..

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/ga/buzz/promo/doom3_screen_02.jpg

From the apparently very poor and inacurate report here;
http://gamesource.yahoo.com/feature?fid=82

rth
10-10-03, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Nutty
Apparently this has been in magazines, but some site has just got a decent copy of it.. not amazing picture, but nice anyway..

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/ga/buzz/promo/doom3_screen_02.jpg

From the apparently very poor and inacurate report here;
http://gamesource.yahoo.com/feature?fid=82

the problem with great shots like that is that if when I start to shoot it I don't see bullet holes, flesh tearing, blood pouring out, and it reacting in pain and anger, then I'm going to think "this physics/AI engine is absolute ****" instead of "these graphics are amazingly good".

that's the problem with making one part of your game realistic and good - all the other parts must live up to the same standard or it'll ruin everything.

AngelGraves13
10-10-03, 04:41 PM
why would there be bullet holes in this picture? I see no gun anywhere and only a dead marine.

mrsabidji
10-10-03, 05:26 PM
Cool, a new background picture :) . Is it the new version of the HellKnight ? rth, I think DooM 3 AI/physics engine IS gonna be great too, don't worry ;) .

mrsabidji

Nutty
10-10-03, 05:42 PM
Man I better stock up on Kleenex when pictures of the Cyberdemon get out!!! :eek:

GlowStick
10-10-03, 05:48 PM
heh doom3 defiantly looks better than hl2.

mrsabidji
10-10-03, 05:54 PM
OMG ! There's also gonna be a CyberDemon !? :eek:
Er... sounds rather logical, in fact :D . Do you know which of the original monsters will be back ? Cacodemons obviously won't (wouldn't fit in), but what about the Arch-Vile, Mancubus, etc...

mrsabidji

Nutty
10-10-03, 05:59 PM
Arch-vile is definitly in. The mancubus, is actually a female apparently.. at least in doom3..

Dunno about Cocademons tho.. hopefully spider mastermind will be.. imps are in. Revenant is in. Loads of new ones like the babies with wings, and trites (The Thing, upside down head on spider legs things) too..

mrsabidji
10-10-03, 06:19 PM
A 3D, bump-mapped Romero's-head-on-a-pike would be cool too :D .

mrsabidji

MrNasty
10-11-03, 05:11 AM
Half life 2 still looks better.

If you look closely you can see that it's slimy skin is not actually reflecting the envoroment whereas HL2s beasties do :)

mrsabidji
10-11-03, 05:18 AM
:rolleyes:
'nuff said...

mrsabidji

rth
10-11-03, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by 99 to Life
why would there be bullet holes in this picture? I see no gun anywhere and only a dead marine.

are you stupid or just not familiar with the English language?

I said "if when I start to shoot it..."

my point was that fantastic graphics make the game much more realistic, but if the other aspects of the game aren't equally realistic then it can seem unbalanced and the realism is runined.

in CS you can jump off the top of a building and survive if there's a few millimetres of water. they get away with it because the rest of the game is nonsense BS too.

vampireuk
10-11-03, 09:59 AM
rth start posting with a little more maturity

Nutty
10-11-03, 10:19 AM
Half life 2 still looks better.

If you look closely you can see that it's slimy skin is not actually reflecting the envoroment whereas HL2s beasties do

I think HL2 beasties look way too shiny for my liking. Have you looked at a reptile's skin.. does it reflect the environment? Not alot no.. I'm assuming their skin types are gonna be something like a crocodiles, or snakes, or somat..

If you want to look at some funky environment mapping look at the mirrors or glass in doom3. Skin generally doesn't reflect the environment much, even when wet.

GlowStick
10-11-03, 11:09 AM
Not that i have played HL2 or anything.

but HL2 is soo unrealistic, as nvidia said 'if you cant make your game look good, make it look shiney' thats what hl2 did, the DIRT reflects.

show me anywere where a muddy dirt pool will reflect like a mirror.

gmontem
10-11-03, 11:59 AM
I recall reading in this forum that the game was limited to 4 simultaneous players and I take it was due to the complexity of having each one cast light. How about the monsters? I ask this because when I saw the id video interview, it had footage of an imp throwing a fireball. I was disappointed to see that the fireball did not light up portions of the imp or the room.

rth
10-11-03, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by GlowStick
Not that i have played HL2 or anything.

but HL2 is soo unrealistic, as nvidia said 'if you cant make your game look good, make it look shiney' thats what hl2 did, the DIRT reflects.

show me anywere where a muddy dirt pool will reflect like a mirror.

screenshots?

GlowStick
10-11-03, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by rth
screenshots? If you really want them, give me a few minuets to backtrack.

i mean find someone esles shots on the net.

; D

MrNasty
10-11-03, 12:43 PM
I still think HL2 looks better, all these doom3 shots are indoors and the characters are low poly.

I must say the beast above looks nice poly at least in the sense that the poly count dosn't destract but models of people have blocky heads in doom3 and it looks super ****.

HL2 is a lot better cause the shadows look more real and soft like in real life, doom3 has jaggy shadows :(

I think shiny skin on aliens looks a lot better than mat skin,

I don't think it's unrealistic cause look at the film alien where the thing had very shiny skin and looked amazing. SO stfu it does look real I think cause it just means they have a lot of slime oozing.

vampireuk
10-11-03, 01:12 PM
Is STFU the new kiddie slang around here now? Knock it off

Nutty
10-11-03, 01:26 PM
HL2 better shadows? noway.

1) No self shadowing in HL2
2) Shadows seem to be in wrong position quite often.. Small objects on the ground have their shadow soo wrong, it makes them look floating.
3) Alot of objects dont even have shadows on. Very inconsistant.
4) The edge of shadows jitter due to the shadow map resolution.
5) Apparently characters shadow, but their weapons dont.

It might have soft edged shadows, but as doom3 is mainly all about bright aritificial lights indoors, it doesn't matter soo much. You do get quite hard edged shadows off light-bulbs.

doom3 has jaggy shadows

No it doesn't. It has sharp shadows. Not jaggy. HL2 has soft edged jaggy/jittery shadows.

I don't think it's unrealistic cause look at the film alien where the thing had very shiny skin and looked amazing. SO stfu it does look real I think cause it just means they have a lot of slime oozing.

My recollection of the Aliens, they had big shiny specular highlights on them. Thats not the same as;
If you look closely you can see that it's slimy skin is not actually reflecting the envoroment whereas HL2s beasties do

Environment reflection and specular are two different things.
Who's to say its skin is meant to be slimy? It might be dry like a rhino's hide or somat..

MrNasty
10-11-03, 01:40 PM
Nah ur wrong cause If i turn on a lightbulb when something castes a shadow it don't look like one big line! it is has smooth edges. You know what im talking about.

The best game that uses shadows is splinter cell because they have soft edges and are in real time.

I know half life 2 shadows are not in real time and are shadowmaps but they look much better if you arn't into gimmicks.

All we have seen of doom3 is ****ty low polygon characters and razor sharp shadows... either illuminated or not... not happy medium it seems with doom3s shadows.

Also don't forget the characters in half life 2 look amazing. See the Gman demo WOW. Looks miles better than anything doom3 has including that soldier guy.

Carmacks shadows are poo.

MrNasty
10-11-03, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Nutty
Environment reflection and specular are two different things.
Who's to say its skin is meant to be slimy? It might be dry like a rhino's hide or somat..

Obviously it's gonna look better if there is slime and **** dripping off it. Thats what monsters have.

Carmack just didn't want to introduce new shaders on top of his allready bloated list of intensive effects. Thats why he had to cut IQ and make every character have the same polycount of mario 64.

Nutty
10-11-03, 02:14 PM
Lol!

Its obvious you know nothing, or are stirring on purpose. Either way I aint continuing this argument.

mrsabidji
10-11-03, 02:56 PM
MrNasty... you're awesome :D .

mrsabidji