PDA

View Full Version : Now is a good time to buy a FX 5900?

Pages : [1] 2

DMA
10-11-03, 11:32 AM
The prices are dropping fast on FX 5900, at least the "non Ultra" models and with new Detonators coming out soon (?) i'm kinda tempted to try one out.

No, i'm not selling my 9800 Pro, gonna use the NVIDIA card in my other comp.
It's just that after a year with radeon 9700/9800 i kinda know everything about these cards and wanna try something different for a while :)

So, what to do? :cool:

The Baron
10-11-03, 11:44 AM
Uhm... you could give it a shot. No reason to do it or not to do it, unless you want to run Linux Fo' Rillio.

Ruined
10-11-03, 03:36 PM
Get a non-ultra 128mb FX5900... in most situations it performs within 5-10% of the ultra 256mb, and is way cheaper. Get the MSI FX5900-TD128 if you can, its got the quietest cooling solution and a decent bundle.

Maverickman
10-11-03, 07:04 PM
You can pick up a 128MB non-Ultra for about $270 now. The 256MB Ultra version is still overpriced because it is Nvidia's fastest card and the extra 128MB is expensive. You can always overclock a 5900 non-Ultra to squeeze a little more performance out of it.

SuLinUX
10-11-03, 07:08 PM
If you run aload of bots in UT2003 on the 128Mb version it's falls on it's arse, the 256Mb version can take it because it's got much more room in it's memory buffer.

The same goes for 64Mb and 128Mb versions.

astroguy
10-11-03, 07:22 PM
get the ultra card from the for sale forums... seems like everyone is letting theirs go overthere for only $250...

B&R
10-11-03, 11:01 PM
if u have the money then buy it and try it out.

micronX
10-12-03, 12:01 AM
I think Best Buy is selling 5900's for $239.00 after rebates....not bad.

astroguy
10-12-03, 12:06 AM
i'm sure a lot of people here will bend over backwards to sell theirs to you... for a really good deal..

Geforce4ti4200
10-12-03, 01:00 AM
has the fx5900u really lost that much value? is the fact itll suck in dx9 causing people to sell em while they can before their value crashes even more? wow :eek: not good for nvidia

Lfctony
10-12-03, 01:40 AM
Why not wait for a game that requires that power to come out? By the time HL2 is out for example, you can get a much faster card with the same money, or you can buy a 5900 at a much lower price. I also read somewhere that the 5950U price will be at 299USD when its released, don't know if its true, but why not wait for that one?

sandeep
10-12-03, 01:57 AM
I think its worth picking up the FX5900...I have an ULTRA version of it...and it is a screamer. The only sceptic I had was after Valves's presentation on shader day but it looks like that even half-life 2 sucks at this stage having lots of problem :-

"There are plenty of HL2 screenshots around the World Wide Web reveal that despite of the fine work of graphics engine, physics engine still needs to be developed further. Furthermore, Environmental Audio engine also requires additional work."

"There was also a claim about the release of the Half-Life 2 game on the 30th of September, but frankly I do not understand how this might be done and how Valve still targets the release on Christmas season. Based on the screenshots we have seen, we may state that there is plenty of work with the Half-Life 2 game and the boys over Valve Software obviously should work 24/7 to get the things prepared for Christmas…"

"As you see, NVIDIA’s GeForce FX graphics cards cannot actually compete with ATI’s RADEON 9600, 9800-series when Pixel Shaders 2.0 are used in full precision. Obviously, if a specially developed code-path for NVIDIA GeForce FX-series as well as seriously optimised drivers are used, the latest products from the legendary NVIDIA Corporation will also perform fast in the next generation DirectX 9.0 game, however, at this point the family performs like it performs.

"Now take a look at performance numbers of the game that uses Pixel Shaders and Vertex Shaders 2.0 heavily...Furthermore, you see that the GeForce FX 5600 Ultra performs even better than the more powerful GeForce FX 5900. This is result of a strange behaviour of the game that needs additional development."

"We still remember about ATI RADEON 8500’s poor performance in Unreal Tournament 2003 benchmark before release and rather fast speed shown by this graphics card after the official launch of the game. In case of titles developed by professional teams, such as Half-Life 2, we can be almost sure that they will run well on all hardware that is available in the market."

Above quotes FROM X-bit labs.....

So in my opinion, frankly wait til the Detonator 52.XX is offically released and as the atmosphere is building in an anticipation of its release, FX5900 owners could be happy with a glimpse of performance/quality. I think Nvidia is taking time to work on the new dets. Worth every hope.

And come on......every game will be playable on the Fx 5900 for quite some time and also don't forget that nVIDIA is working hard on its new compiler as the FX 5900 is highly programmable. For $500 it has to have something in it.

"Developers of highly-anticipated games, such as Half-Life 2 or Doom III, have publicly admitted they were developing special rendering modes for NVIDIA hardware."

Cheers

"Its all about a gamble"

Rogozhin
10-12-03, 02:12 AM
X-bit labs is comprised of amateurs that don't know a premise from a conclusion.

I've run a 5900non U clocked to a U (evga) and it wasn't even in the same IQ ballpark as a 9800pro 128mb (let alone speed at those settings).

rogo

Rogozhin
10-12-03, 02:13 AM
Baron How do you have 7 times the posts I do but you started reposting when I did?

Must be the moderator magic ;)

rogo

sandeep
10-12-03, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by Rogozhin
X-bit labs is comprised of amateurs that don't know a premise from a conclusion.

I've run a 5900non U clocked to a U (evga) and it wasn't even in the same IQ ballpark as a 9800pro 128mb (let alone speed at those settings).

rogo

Yes you are implying that det. 45.XX is stale when it comes to image. Certainly true...but I am tryign to say that det 52.XX will be better than the past...so hold your gear there....and run the tests again when the new dets are out....

jimbob0i0
10-12-03, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by sandeep

For $500 it has to have something in it.

LMAO - oh that is soooo funny..... I'll sell you my S3 trio for $600... it'll take a while for developers to 'optimise' for it... but if you wait a bit it won't matter.... and for $600 it has to have something in it ;)

That quote above says it all for the few remaining NV graphics fans I guess....

sandeep
10-12-03, 07:47 AM
Flibbled: One more outburst like that and you will be gone

CliveMilk
10-12-03, 07:53 AM

They seem to get invited to most of the main events so I guess the industry sees them in a different light to you. If you rustle up some examples for your claim I'll try to rustle up some counter evidence, actually I'll start off with

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/extreme.html

true, it is in relation to hardware and not drivers, but a very interesting piece anyhow. Hardly amateurs in vmodding at least it seems.

In relation to 5900's the SE version with the slower memory might be the best bet of all. With 256 bit it does not really matter that the memory is 2.8ns rather than 2.2ns, the main limiation for nVidia is in the core and I think the SE has the same cores are normal and Ultra's anyhow.

jimbob0i0
10-12-03, 07:57 AM
Obviously you are new to the community... let me explain a few things for you:

LMAO = Laughing My Ass Off
LOL = Laugh Out Loud
ROFL = Roll On Floor Laughing

It's quicker than typing it out in full and the 'net community understands it.
And, no, I am not an ATI geek... I am a hockey player for the BBC and also a moderator at a pro-NV forum.

I would advise you not to insult so publically again or else I'd imagine your time here will be short.

If you've got a spare comp DMA and sufficient cash that you won't mind losing £250 or so (or are putting it in a non-gaming PC even though that effectively defeats the purpose of the card) go for it.... benchmark both and post your results.... Just don't plan to play any DX9 games on it at full DX9 quality/features during the next 6 months+

Flibbled: removed the quote :)

Edit: Argh I've been Flibbled......... For those wondering what the above refers to (because if if an empty quote was left it'd help and without even that it looks hopelessly random and out of place)..... The quote removed was the post a bit further up that has been flibbled too - I was accused of being an ATI Geek (and a bit worse) ... and thus I think it's only appropriate I claim that title for rank from now on ;)

MrNasty
10-12-03, 08:57 AM
It's never a good time to buy ANY nvidia card but most espeically now.

Nvidia has been EXPOSED, all thier latest cards have abismal DX9 performance as proven by Half life 2 benchmarking.

Don't be an ignornant consumer buy ATI over Nvidia cards.

LiquidX
10-12-03, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by MrNasty
It's never a good time to buy ANY nvidia card but most espeically now.

Nvidia has been EXPOSED, all thier latest cards have abismal DX9 performance as proven by Half life 2 benchmarking.

Don't be an ignornant consumer buy ATI over Nvidia cards.

Its time eveyone get past these HL2 benches...Valve wont allow Nvidia's latest drivers and then you turn around and say dont buy a card based on a bench and game no one in the public is able to try/configure/tweak/verify.....further more the damn game wont be out for 6 months.

In anycase you can now get a BFG Asylum 5900 with a rebate for 224 at best buy if anyone is interested. Think I might pick one up.:)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1055388016068&skuId=5642904&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01151

digitalwanderer
10-12-03, 10:22 AM
I dunno, I saw some 5900 Ultras going for $200us on a few 'for sale/trade' forum boards I like/trust and must admit I thought about it.

If it wasn't for the 9600XT getting ready to come out for $200us pretty soon now..... :D (I've decided to upgrade the V5 and get two gaming rigs again. :cool: )

The Baron
10-12-03, 11:58 AM
Baron How do you have 7 times the posts I do but you started reposting when I did?

Must be the moderator magic ;)

rogo
I hope you mean 8 times. ;)

And yeah, it's from when I worked all summer in an office doing random web stuff and answering the phone, and I had a lot of time to kill. So, yeah, Post Crazy. :p

Rogozhin
10-12-03, 02:02 PM
Clivemilk

"They seem to get invited to most of the main events so I guess the industry sees them in a different light to you. If you rustle up some examples for your claim I'll try to rustle up some counter evidence, actually I'll start off with

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vi...ay/extreme.html

true, it is in relation to hardware and not drivers, but a very interesting piece anyhow. Hardly amateurs in vmodding at least it seems.

In relation to 5900's the SE version with the slower memory might be the best bet of all. With 256 bit it does not really matter that the memory is 2.8ns rather than 2.2ns, the main limiation for nVidia is in the core and I think the SE has the same cores are normal and Ultra's anyhow."

I appologize I was thinking of xgs :( I retract my statement.

rogo

Rogozhin
10-12-03, 02:03 PM
Baron-8times ;)

I've never been a keypuncher but I can understand the boredom ;)

rogo