PDA

View Full Version : I have tried everything to fix this!!!


Dorth
10-13-03, 11:23 PM
I have a pny 5900 ultra and since day one I have had this problem. After trying to contact many tech support sites with the different games this happens on they all tell me something different and it never fixes the problem. When I play 3d games like Jedi Academy, SWG or SOF2 for about ten minutes I get lines running from the top of the screen to the bottom of little pixilated flashing boxes. The problem seems to only happen when there is allot of stuff on screen. On the other hand it never happens when I play Counter Strike, I dont know if this is because there is not much on the screen graphics wise or not. I have installed and removed the newest driver and I thought today the 45.33 driver would fix the problem with the praise it got for fixing a flashing problem others have been having. But it did not help. This may be the "flashing" problem others are talking about but I donít think so. Can anyone please help me? Iím pulling out my hair over this problem. :eek: Thanks


Here is a sample of the problem in SWG In other games the boxes flash white.
http://www.ctralaska.com/problem.htm

ragejg
10-13-03, 11:50 PM
In my opinion:

Overheating core...

PNY is not great about their mfg standards, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's not enough goop on your gpu under the heatsink... I recommend its removal, and that the gpu and heatsink be treated to some 600 grit or smoother, then throw some Arctic Silver 3 or shin etsu on there... fire it up, and see if you still have the problem...

jAkUp
10-13-03, 11:56 PM
pny's tend to be the most problamatic cards... check the compound as rage suggested

Rogozhin
10-14-03, 01:52 AM
Check your temp first.

rogo

Dorth
10-14-03, 09:03 PM
Ok I will check that out tonight, I hope a little arctic silver does the job. You would think $500 would buy a card where you would not have to do that though

Hellbinder
10-14-03, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by ragejg
In my opinion:

Overheating core...

PNY is not great about their mfg standards, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's not enough goop on your gpu under the heatsink... I recommend its removal, and that the gpu and heatsink be treated to some 600 grit or smoother, then throw some Arctic Silver 3 or shin etsu on there... fire it up, and see if you still have the problem...
I would say you are DEAD ON CORRECT that it is a heating issue.

Howver, I would be Very careful recomending to anyone that they take appart and tinker with the cooling setup. If they do something stupid and trash the thing.. oooo.. ouch.

Dorth
10-14-03, 09:34 PM
Ok during game play the problem started happening again so I closed the game and checked the nvidia temp control and it said it was 77 C is this way to hot?

The Baron
10-14-03, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Hellbinder
I would say you are DEAD ON CORRECT that it is a heating issue.

Howver, I would be Very careful recomending to anyone that they take appart and tinker with the cooling setup. If they do something stupid and trash the thing.. oooo.. ouch.
not to mention the instant voiding of the warranty.

Helpful hint, kids, if it acts weird, send it back.

digitalwanderer
10-14-03, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Dorth
Ok I will check that out tonight, I hope a little arctic silver does the job. You would think $500 would buy a card where you would not have to do that though
Screw that! For $500 you should get what you pay for!

Return the thing, don't void your warranty by modding it and then decide to return it.

john19055
10-14-03, 11:20 PM
I would get a RMA from pny and send it back and get a new one cause the heat prroblems may have done messed up some things and if you mod it and it go's completely out then you are screwed.

Dorth
10-15-03, 02:00 AM
ok Im heading back to compusa to get an exchange. Hope all goes well.
BTW what is the normal temp the card should be at when p;aying a graphic heavy game? Is 170.6 F normal?

Dorth
10-17-03, 03:41 PM
Thanks for everyones help.

I took the card back yesterday and they had to run their tests on it before they would give me my money back. Well I almost got screwed because they found nothing wrong with the card during testing. It wasent till after they burned their hands trying to take the card out of their test system that they realized it was defectively overheating. So I got my $500 back.

Thanks allot for everyones wisdom in helping me solve this problem. With out you guys I would have gotten screwed for $500.


:D

Bewarned PNY Sucks!!!