PDA

View Full Version : Comments on a quote

ginfest
10-14-03, 10:53 AM
Read the following on a newsgroup:

Software tricks can only take you so far, NVIDIA 5X.XX drivers are not enough to beat ATI in DX9 games/benchmarks since the issue is in hardware that is not designed for DX9.

It is important to understand that HL2 contains both DX9 and an OpenGL renderer. FX5900 is very fast, slightly better than 9800 in OpenGL. Running HL2 in OpenGL mode should negate all advantages that 9800 has in DX9.

Have you noticed that Gabe only talked about DX9, and not a word about the OpenGL renderer that HL2 also has? Apparently this renderer works very well with FX cards, way better than ATI would like it to?

I don't have the HL2 "beta", are the last 2 parts above true (I know this 1st part is)

Obviously there is plenty of evidence based on diff benches that the NV DX9 perf is lacking but what about Open GL?
Can the same effects be done in OpenGL and if so does the 59xx line perform equal to or better than the R3xx in OGL?

Mike G

john19055
10-14-03, 10:57 AM
Could you show me a article were it says Halflife 2 will also be able to run in openGL.

ragejg
10-14-03, 11:09 AM
I second that request...

Sledge
10-14-03, 11:11 AM
I find it humorous that while Nvidia tried to push their own standard, Cg, on game companies, an open graphics standard (OpenGL) could be the FX's saviour in HL2 performance. :D

mrsabidji
10-14-03, 11:21 AM
Nv always had a little advantage over ATI in OpenGL. The problem here is, does HL2's OpenGL mode render the same effects as it's DX9 mode? Personally, I guess not... and I'd like to know who you quoted too :D .

mrsabidji

TheTaz
10-14-03, 11:22 AM
Well... a few things

~The version that's being spread around the internet doesn't have OpenGL.

~Gabe said in an interview that "OpenGL isn't mature enough", when asked in an interview on why valve didn't choose OpenGL. (Whish I had the link, was quite a while ago, tho)

~Current OpenGL ISN'T doing DX9 type stuff yet. As a DX8 card the nvidia cards still run good compared to ATi.

So I'd have to say that the guy on the newsgroup is full of sh!t.

Taz

jimbob0i0
10-14-03, 11:27 AM
From what I've heard of the 'beta' there is an OpenGL option that can be set but the engine appears to disregard that argument... hence although it may 'appear' to be an OpenGL compatible game it is actually running in DX still... and TheTaz I heard what Gabe said too... the effects required just aren't possible at the same speed/ease in Opengl1.4 ... another 12 months down the line and the engine could well have been very different if it had been written around OpenGL2.0

TheTaz
10-14-03, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by jimbob0i0
From what I've heard of the 'beta' there is an OpenGL option that can be set but the engine appears to disregard that argument... hence although it may 'appear' to be an OpenGL compatible game it is actually running in DX still

According to my source, It ignores "software renderer" option too.

I highly doubt "OpenGL" and "Software" is going to be an option in the the final game.

Taz

Reaper106
10-14-03, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by TheTaz
According to my source, It ignores "software renderer" option too.

I highly doubt "OpenGL" and "Software" is going to be an option in the the final game.

Taz

"Open GL" and "Software renderer" as wel as DX9. Reminds me of the old days. I can see the Open GL mode but softwre rendering. I cant imagine that in HL2.

Time will tell all i guess.:firedevil

Ady
10-14-03, 03:06 PM
yeh it just has Software and OpenGL in the menu. Its like its still there from an old halflife or something. Anyways, there isn't an actual OpenGL renderer for HL2.

ginfest
10-14-03, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by john19055
Could you show me a article were it says Halflife 2 will also be able to run in openGL.

I don't know where it says that or if it's true-I was just reading a post on "alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia" (author "iggy") and those comments were in a thread there-made me curious whether the same "effects" that are in HL2 are possible using Open GL .

Mike G

Kurgen
10-14-03, 03:21 PM
Hey Ady,

What's the funky little thang in yer avvy?

K.

StealthHawk
10-14-03, 05:37 PM
Discussion (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17573)

Discussion (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18215)

You can find more threads by searching for topics mentioning Doom3, which exist all over this forum.

Ady
10-15-03, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Kurgen
Hey Ady,

What's the funky little thang in yer avvy?

K.

Its an early version of a space invaders inspired render I made with 3d Studio, which I later developed into a music video. :)

Kurgen
10-15-03, 07:32 PM
which I later developed into a music video.

Cool... :afro: lemme guess, the music goes - dum dum dum dum, dum dum dum dum, etc. :D

K.

The Baron
10-15-03, 07:54 PM
Let's see. There aren't even drivers that support GL1.5.

Oh, yeah, so no OGL.

Behemoth
10-15-03, 08:07 PM
isnt it 5900u can only be faster than 9800pro with using lots of fx12. and HDR requires floating point?
stop this nV marketing BS, please :)
next marketing BS would probably be 5900 has better AA than 9800 in OGL... lol