PDA

View Full Version : Far Cry... Better than HL2? Will Play well on nVIdia???

Pages : [1] 2

TheTaz
10-14-03, 12:09 PM
You guys gotta check this out!

http://www.farcry-thegame.com/

Look at the 2nd and 3rd "movies" above the "new video" text.

According to an Avault Interview:

At Crytek, we use per-pixel lighting a lot, but unlike other engines, we combine it with traditional lighting. Using our patent pending Dot3Lightmap technology together with our PolyBump technology is just one example of how we get very high detailed looking characters and bumpy walls and objects while still maintaining high frame rates. For great looking per-pixel lighting, we use 3D source models with about 300,000 triangles, and then apply that information on our 3D models. This gives way better results than the simpler approach of hand painting things.

and

As for the PC version, our minimum spec machine is a Pentium III 800 MHz, 256 MB RAM and a GeForce 3. (This is quite low.) Our recommended machine is only slightly heftier: a P4 1.5 GHz with 512 MB RAM and a GeForce 4.

It looks to me like they aren't using DX9 shaders, and are able to make an engine that is equal, if not superior, to HL2.

And boy do I love that editor in the 2nd video! WOW!

Thoughts?

Taz

-=DVS=-
10-14-03, 12:19 PM
Well looks pretty cool , should be another good FPS , hopefully they don't limit game to NV propietary extensions only :o
And about graphics all these new games look superb , doesn't realy matter witch one of them is a bit better :p

Other then that looking forward to bunch of good games :D

Max Payn 2
HalfLife 2
Doom 3
DeusEx 2
Far Cry

what else comeing out ?

TheTaz
10-14-03, 12:25 PM
Well... my point is... it looks like Crytek is doing a "different approach" technologywise... that looks just as good, if not better than HL2... and should run well on all cards (I hope). ;)

Taz

fivefeet8
10-14-03, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by -=DVS=-
Other then that looking forward to bunch of good games :D

Max Payn 2
HalfLife 2
Doom 3
DeusEx 2
Far Cry

what else comeing out ?

http://www.stalker-game.com/

saturnotaku
10-14-03, 12:50 PM
As long as they aren't using proprietary NVIDIA extensions and they can get the game to look great on both NV and ATI cards I'll be happy. When I get home I'll have to check out those videos. But from what I've seen so far, it looks like it will be pretty neat. :)

TheTaz
10-14-03, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by fivefeet8
http://www.stalker-game.com/

That looks good too. ... but

Shading

The Shader library is central to every part of the rendering pipeline
~Completely abstracts the graphics API.
~Multi-pass Rendering
~Fallback Shaders
~Facilitates cross-platform development
~Separates shader writing from engine development
~Pixel and Vertex shaders are automatically used (on shader capable hardware.)

Does it use PS 2.0? And if so, will it run well on nVidia cards?

Originally posted by saturnotaku
As long as they aren't using proprietary NVIDIA extensions and they can get the game to look great on both NV and ATI cards I'll be happy. When I get home I'll have to check out those videos. But from what I've seen so far, it looks like it will be pretty neat. :)

Yes. The screenshots can't do it justice. And the two video's I refer to (though they are postage stamp small), describes the technolgy somewhat. ;)

Taz

fivefeet8
10-14-03, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by TheTaz

Does it use PS 2.0? And if so, will it run well on nVidia cards?

I'm not sure about PS2.0 support, but...

The game supposedly supports HDR rendering on nvidia cards. Something missing from HL2. But I'd wait for futher confirmation before jumping to conclusions. Also, the game will probably run well on Nvidia cards. Nvidia and the people making the game are Partnered.

That does raise some questions though. If HDR rendering is available in the game on Nvidia cards in that game, then why is it not possible in HL2 in Nv cards? Possibly the way the games are doing it? We'll have to see when more information of the game is available.

Here is another site with info+screens on Stalker.

http://www.oblivion-lost.com/

Edit: It seems that the game will be Dx9.

Reaper106
10-14-03, 04:11 PM
It looks like a sweet game. I read about it in i think "PC Gamer" The AI
is supposed to be far better than any we have seen to date.:firedevil

TheTaz
10-14-03, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Reaper106
It looks like a sweet game. I read about it in i think "PC Gamer" The AI
is supposed to be far better than any we have seen to date.:firedevil

Yeah.. I've been reading some other articles:

IGNPC: You promised astonishing AI. Why Far Cry's AI is so good?

Christopher Natsuume: To understand why we are so proud of our AI, you have to see it as part of the overall design. We never set out to make a game with the "most advanced AI" or any similar clich? - we set out to make a game with massive player freedom and high replayability. Thus, this core design choice drove us to develop the AI we use for Far Cry.

Most FPS games have the player going in a very linear manner through the levels. This allows for very detailed scripting of AI units. Because we chose to set our game in a massive open environment, we could not accurately predict where the player will come into contact with the AI, and thus, we could not logically script them in such a manner. Instead we had to create a completely non-scripted AI system that allows them to determine reasonable actions regardless of the player's angle of attack, and to accurately react to player actions, such as using different weapons, vehicles, and strategies.

This allows the AI to do something that a scripted system cannot do so easily - put the real control of what is happening in the player's hands, not the designers. This increases player immersion and in the end, overall satisfaction for the player.

This concept is not, we should mention, completely new to computer games - these strategies have been used in other game genres for years - but not in shooters, which have traditionally been more linear, and not with this degree of collaboration between units.

:afraid:

Full Article here: http://pc.ign.com/articles/452/452317p1.html?fromint=1

All I can say is... if it WORKS GOOD... it will definetly be a TOP FPS!!! :D

/em drools over the idea of a non-linear FPS!

Regards,

Taz

Nutty
10-14-03, 05:35 PM
Instead we had to create a completely non-scripted AI system

Where've I heard that before..? :D

SurfMonkey
10-14-03, 08:11 PM
Considering that most games don't even push the capabilities of DX7 it's good to see someone pushing DX8 a little bit. As far as I can see we haven't been treated to the full extent of DX8 yet and the jump to DX9 is a little premature.

StealthHawk
10-14-03, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by SurfMonkey
As far as I can see we haven't been treated to the full extent of DX8 yet and the jump to DX9 is a little premature.

Since every DX9 game has at least a DX8 fallback that statement is ridiculous.

TheTaz
10-14-03, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Nutty
Where've I heard that before..? :D

Not sure. The only other "Non-Linear" upcomming game I can think of is Deus Ex 2, but that's an RPG Hybrid... not a "pure shooter".

Taz

saturnotaku
10-14-03, 10:24 PM
The tech looks pretty sweet. Though the last time I saw a sweet tech demo movie (Red Faction) the game ended up being a huge disappointment. I sure hope that's not the case here.

astroguy
10-14-03, 10:36 PM
Yeah far cry rocks.. i remember watching the technology demo like half a year ago.. just stunning!

This is the game I'm anticipating most aside from Doom3...
And yes this will definately look better than HL2, if not better than doom3 :eek:

Bjorn
10-15-03, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by astroguy
Yeah far cry rocks.. i remember watching the technology demo like half a year ago.. just stunning!

This is the game I'm anticipating most aside from Doom3...
And yes this will definately look better than HL2, if not better than doom3 :eek:

Just watched the video and i must say that i doubt that it'll look better then HL2. And i'm not even that impressed by HL2. Far Cry looks more fun though (i'm one of the few that didn't like the original Half Life at all).

And it seems to be a very different game from Doom3 so i think it's hard to compare them. Especially since Doom3 will have very few outdoor scenes while Far Cry seems to be the opposite.

And why do the developers insist to overdo the bumpmapping/specular lighting (or whatever it is) that makes the surfaces look so plastic ?
(on the site, 4:th screenshot from the left). This is also a problem with HL2 , maybe not as plastic but some surfaces stands out to much imo.

Jeffus
10-15-03, 06:17 AM
I've been following this game/engine development for several months now and I must say I've been impressed with it from the start!! Yes it will run well on ALL platforms and does use PS2.0 etc.....

What does it offer (CryENGINE!!):-

Real time editing, bump mapping, static lights, network system, integrated physics system, shaders, shadows and a dynamic music system are just some of the state of-the-art features the CryENGINE™ offers.

The CryENGINE™ comes complete with all of its internal tools and also includes the CryEDIT world editing system. Licensees receive full source code and documentation for the engine and tools. Support is provided directly from the R & D Team that continuously develops the engine and can arrange teaching workshops for your team to increase the learning process.

The engine supports all video and hardware currently on the market. New hardware support is constantly added as it becomes available.

CryEDIT: Is a real-time game editor offering "What you see is what you PLAY" feedback.
Renderer: integrates indoor and outdoor technology seamlessly. Offers rendering support for OpenGL & DirectX 8/9, XBox using latest HW features, PS2 and GameCube.
Physics System: supports character inverse kinematics, vehicles, rigid bodies, liquid, rag doll, cloth and soft body effects. The system is integrated with the game and tools.
Character Inverse Kinematics & Animation Blending: Allows a character model to have multiple animations while looking believable.
AI System: Enables team based AI and AI behaviors defined by scripts. Ability to create custom enemies and behaviors without touching the C++ code.
Interactive Dynamic Music System: Tracks and responds to the player's actions and situations and offers CD Quality playback in full 5.1 surround sound.
Environmental Audio & SFS Engine: Ability to accurately reproduce sounds from nature with seamless blending between environments and interior/exterior locations in 5.1 audio. Includes EAX 2.0 audio support.
Network Client and Server System: Manages all network connections for the multiplayer mode. It is a low-latency network system based on client/server architecture.
Shaders: A script system used to combine textures in different ways to produce visual effects. Supports real time per-pixel lighting, bumpy reflections, refractions, volumetric glow effects, animated textures, transparent computer displays, windows, bullet holes, and shinny surfaces.
Terrain: Uses an advanced heightmap system and polygon reduction to create massive, realistic environments. The view distance can be up to 2km when converted from game units.
Lighting and Shadows: A combination of precalculated, real time shadows, stencil shadows and lightmaps to produce a dynamic environment. Includes high-resolution, correct perspective, and volumetric smooth-shadow implementations for dramatic and realistic indoor shadowing. Supports advanced particles technology and any kind of volumetric lighting effects on particles.
Fog: Includes volumetric, layer and view distance fogging to enhance atmosphere and tension.
Tools Integration: Objects and buildings created using 3ds max™ or Maya® are integrated within the game and editor.
Polybump™: Standalone or fully integrated with other tools including 3ds max™.
Scripting system: Based on the popular LUA language. This easy to use system allows the setup and tweaking of weapons/game parameters, playing of sounds and loading of graphics without touching the C++ code.
Modularity: Entirely written in modular C++, with comments, documentation and subdivisions into multiple DLLs.

It is in a different class to HL2, I am wanting to evaluate the engine for a game that we are developing.. from what we've seen so far it's going to be one of the best engines around for some time....

Another good engine is on it's way look at this MUTHA!!!

SABOTAGE1943 (http://www.sabotage1943.com/en/)

Jeffus
10-15-03, 06:33 AM
I downloaded the movie for SABOTAGE1943 and I was that impressed I spilt my STELLA!!

Another good game DX9 is S.T.A.L.K.E.R which development we have also been following..... The whole dynamics of this game seem very impressive. A great deal of time and effort has been spent on Realism (not at any game play loss!!) So get your RAD suits ready, and watch yer backs!!

Call of Duty actually uses a brand new (re-written Q3 engine - I say re-written as it WAS completely re-written) with some new physics engine thrown in..... someone said CoD looks well although it's a relatively old engine, just thought I'd put the facts right.... :D

I love this site but there's way to much hype and negativity about Nvidia (I'm beggining to believe that peeps on here are against Nvidia :confused: lol), Nvida FX cards can and will support PS2.0 WELL!! we, just need the new drivers :cool:

Let's not forget, some of the arguments where around HL2 benchmarks. Which was written with ATi as a partner (the way it's not meant to be played) ONLY KIDDING I have a 9800pro as well as a FX5900U and to be honest I find (currently) that Nvidia still has the edge on GFX and smoothness and on looks and where Nvidia win on some benchmarks, where nvidia fails ATi pulls it back (ahhhh the great seasaw of graphics cards). But I'm not a fanboy (lame word).. so TECHHEADZ pull me down... I have sniper cover!! (just checks me back!!)

jAkUp
10-15-03, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by fivefeet8
That does raise some questions though. If HDR rendering is available in the game on Nvidia cards in that game, then why is it not possible in HL2 in Nv cards? Possibly the way the games are doing it? We'll have to see when more information of the game is available.

where did you hear that hdr wasnt working for nv cards??? not flaming just asking, because to my knowledge, hdr effects are working fine on hl2

fivefeet8
10-15-03, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by jAkUp
where did you hear that hdr wasnt working for nv cards??? not flaming just asking, because to my knowledge, hdr effects are working fine on hl2

Last I heard, Valve was still working with Nvidia to get HDR working.

cthellis
10-15-03, 02:10 PM
So far the shots and video can't do the game justice. It looks good, but I don't see anything particularly jaw-dropping about the graphics at the moment. Needs a much closer look at the tech and effects.

TheTaz
10-15-03, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by cthellis
So far the shots and video can't do the game justice. It looks good, but I don't see anything particularly jaw-dropping about the graphics at the moment. Needs a much closer look at the tech and effects.

Well... a few things...

Most of the 4 minute movie doesn't show shadows in the outdoor environment... there are a few quick scenes that do, but most of the "showing off of shadows" is in the indoor scenes. So I'd say there's more to it than the movie shows off.

Things that impressed me:

~The editor... That is ULTRA cool. Really drooling over that. ;)

~The Physics... If you look at those movies in full screen (tho blurry), you'll notice that a guy gets shot in the knee, folds and falls very realistically, then the next guy shot falls off the short cliff very realistically, and lands realistically. Also, none of the dead guys fall "through objects", sort of like RTCW, but better (No fake bounce away). The hummers that splode, look fairly realistic for explosion reactions. Not sure if they have any "facial physics", tho.

~The AI... totally non scripted. Enemies know what to do and react accordingly. The Idle stuff is cool, too.

~Non-Linear gameplay... seems like you can run around and attack / do things in any order you want and the game / ai will react differently each time. Replayability GALORE.

~The graphics, seem on par with HL-2, mostly. Don't care if there isn't "shiny stuff besides water". The long distance "viewing" definetly beats HL-2 or anything else I've seen in an outdoor environment. (No distance sight limiting fog, or fake box stuff)

Don't get me wrong... I like / am interested in HL-2, as well as the other games mentioned in this thread... But a Non-Linear shooter with up-to-date graphics, supurb looking AI, supurb physics, and an awesome looking editor... gotta say... My interest has tilted more towards this game than the others. ;)

Regards,

Taz

Nv40
10-15-03, 05:16 PM
Don't get me wrong... I like / am interested in HL-2, as well as the other games mentioned in this thread... But a Non-Linear shooter with up-to-date graphics, supurb looking AI, supurb physics, and an awesome looking editor... gotta say... My interest has tilted more towards this game than the others.

if you like non-linear gameplay and a game features rich , then dont miss S.T.A.L.K.E.R ,it has every feature tech from HL2 ,and every tech from FARCRY.. great PHysics which their developers think are better than Hl2 ..BTW,PS2.0 and even have real time lightning/bumpmaps ->like doom3 but not unified at -all times- with everything like Doom3 ,they use static lights for Outdoors scenes.

one of the biggest innovations of STALKER according to their developers ,is the non-linear gameplay of the game. they even told that the game will set new standars in the PC industry with their non-linear gameplay.. according to them only one game is comparable in this area and only exist only in XBOX (project ego->a game where characters grows ,get olders ,your body change (like n real life) ,your skills grows ,and you dont go from A to Z to finish the game ,the game have many ways to finish it and you can jump anywhere , however you will need to think wisely where to begin ,to not be killed just at very early in the game .) nice eh? :)

here a link of Project ego to see more of its non-linear gameplay..
http://www.gamespy.com/e3/projectego/

STALKER is third on my list ,behind QUake4 and DOom3 . :)
but also looking forward for HL2 ,COD,FARcry,UT2k4 and many others ..

btw.. thanks for the link of sabotage.. http://www.sabotage1943.com/en/
looks very promising.. :)

TheTaz
10-15-03, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Nv40
if you like non-linear gameplay and a game features rich , then dont miss S.T.A.L.K.E.R ,it has every feature tech from HL2 ,and every tech from FARCRY.. great PHysics which their developers think are better than Hl2 ..BTW,PS2.0 and even have real time lightning/bumpmaps ->like doom3 but not unified at -all times- with everything like Doom3 ,they use static lights for Outdoors scenes.

Hmmm... guess I'll have to read up more on STALKER. Only glanced at the screenshots, so far. ;)

Taz

Jeffus
10-16-03, 02:17 AM
Yeah S.T.A.L.K.E.R, does look well....... I love the movie where the guy on his haunches come out onto those stairs and takes out someone below.....

seem that there's been SO much hype about HL2 (seems it might be out in Nov after all!!).. I think there are several new titles up and coming that will leave HL2 hanging from the rafters.....

1) Far cry
2) Full spectrum warrior
3) Sabotage1943
4) CoD (albeit a re-written Q3 engine but with physics thrown in!)
5) Men of Valor:Vietnam (come on ex-2015)
6) Vietcong (Fist Alpha) "Vietcong 2 also in the works????"
7) Op Flashpoint 2
8) Joint Ops
9) S.T.A.L.K.E.R

The list is endless!! There's more to life than HL2.....