PDA

View Full Version : Is a Ti4400 to a 5900 worth it?


Pages : [1] 2

S.I.N
10-15-03, 03:54 PM
Hello I am new here, my bro visits here though but would rather not have his advise alone.:)

I am running a P42.8, 512 DR2700 and a Ti4400 128MB.

I would like to know if you all think if I upgraded to 5900 I would see a significant difference over the Ti4400? Both in image quality and speed. I want to make sure because my bro went from a 9700 Pro to 9800 Pro and everyday swears that he sees a difference (the thing is no one else does and we do alot of lanning). I basically dont want to spend the $275 it would cost and see no difference.

Also is there a great difference between the 5900 Ultra and none Ultra to justify the extra $100?

Please all who have upgrade from about the same specs please post your thoughts long or short so I can make good choice.:)

-=DVS=-
10-15-03, 04:03 PM
Don't be a fool , don't get 5900 , if you don't like ATI atleast have brains to wait for NV40 ;)

TheTaz
10-15-03, 04:08 PM
From the most recent "reviews / previews"

If yer hell bent on nVidia...

I'd either wait for the FX 5950 (5900 and 5900Ultra prices should drop more),especially if yer considering spending the money on a 5900 Ultra.

or

If your looking for something more reasonable in price... I'd wait for the FX 5700.

Also... I'd wait for full fledged "reviews" of the FX 5950 and FX 5700, before purchase. Make sure the Drivers are "up to snuff, not cheating, and performance is for all games, not just the popular ones".

Hope that helps,

Taz

S.I.N
10-15-03, 04:31 PM
I dont care much for the Half Life 2 benchmarks because the game is now delayed which I see has the dismay towards the 5900. When the top of the crop HL2 and DOOM3 come out then I will upgrade to the current later that summer.

But for right now I want the 5900 for now games like Call of Duty, Max Payne2, UT2004 and so on. So thats why I need to know if its good upgrade. Newegg.com has the 5900 for $230 while the 9800 Pro is still $350 way out of my range.


So thats my situation guys.:)

ChrisRay
10-15-03, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Sin
I dont care much for the Half Life 2 benchmarks because the game is now delayed which I see has the dismay towards the 5900. When the top of the crop HL2 and DOOM3 come out then I will upgrade to the current later that summer.

But for right now I want the 5900 for now games like Call of Duty, Max Payne2, UT2004 and so on. So thats why I need to know if its good upgrade. Newegg.com has the 5900 for $230 while the 9800 Pro is still $350 way out of my range.


So thats my situation guys.:)


Remember thats a 5900 Non Ultra and thats a 9800 Pro. So there's going to be performance/marketed performance differences.


The 5900 Non Ultra is going to be a considerable upgrade to a ti 4400 in performance. Some will say IQ is better worse, Or just said. I'm sure you're aware of the DX 9.0 shader situation.

If that doesnt bother "and" you like the IQ of your TI 4400. You're probably going to be happy with the speed boost.

The Baron
10-15-03, 04:34 PM
5900 is $230?!

Scary.

Of course, you could wait to see what the 5700 brings... it might be able to beat the NV35 when you overclock it to all hell (well, maybe).

ChrisRay
10-15-03, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
5900 is $230?!

Scary.

Of course, you could wait to see what the 5700 brings... it might be able to beat the NV35 when you overclock it to all hell (well, maybe).


I have my doubts about that. Tho its possible. If the 5700 is just a toned down 5900. That would be spectacular. I can remember the days when a Ti 4200 was just a toned down 4600.

Tho If Nvidia follows its current pattern. There will probably be core changes ect to keep transistors down.

john19055
10-15-03, 04:56 PM
The FX5900 would be a upgrade from a TI4400,but if you are going to spend your hard earned money ,I would go with a Radeon 9800 because of the PS.2 problems and certain DX9 funtions that the 5900 dose'nt support ,since more newer games will take advantage of this.I went from a TI4600 to a Radeon 9800pro and there is a big difference as far as I.Q and speed,I am able to run all the game I have at 1280x960x32 with FSAAat 4x and aniso at 16x and every thing set at the highest levels. And the Cat drivers have gave me no problems with the exception of the 3.5 and 3.6, a 16bit openGL problem and one of the game I play NOLFE2 had problems with gray textures but this has been fixed.I know if you look at Radge3d fourms they look like the driver's are no good but a lot of them were on the 8500 and 9100.but on the R9800 these driver work good for me.But I am sure other people will have a different opinion.

TheTaz
10-15-03, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Sin
But for right now I want the 5900 for now games like Call of Duty, Max Payne2, UT2004 and so on. So thats why I need to know if its good upgrade. Newegg.com has the 5900 for $230 while the 9800 Pro is still $350 way out of my range.


So thats my situation guys.:)

I still think you should wait for the FX 5950 and FX 5700 to be released.

Either get a 5900 after price drops from 5950 launch.

or

get a 5700 if it benches where you want. ;)

Regards,

Taz

digitalwanderer
10-15-03, 05:15 PM
AIW 9600 Pro, this card is freaking me out at how sweet it is for only $250us! :eek:

ChrisRay
10-15-03, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
AIW 9600 Pro, this card is freaking me out at how sweet it is for only $250us! :eek:


I used to think AIW cards were all that and a bag of chips. But I'd rather just get a good TV card, It will last me longer than a video card which requires upgrading more often.

digitalwanderer
10-15-03, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by ChrisRay
I used to think AIW cards were all that and a bag of chips. But I'd rather just get a good TV card, It will last me longer than a video card which requires upgrading more often.
I can't argue with that since I've pretty much followed that philosophy and it's a valid point, but that being said I just gotta say that this thing has some features that I just ain't never seen on a stand alone card.

You're probably right though, a 9600XT would probably be better for our new friend here. :)

ChrisRay
10-15-03, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
I can't argue with that since I've pretty much followed that philosophy and it's a valid point, but that being said I just gotta say that this thing has some features that I just ain't never seen on a stand alone card.

You're probably right though, a 9600XT would probably be better for our new friend here. :)


I have this great All in Wonder 8500 DV card, With loads of features and abilities., It's just freaken slow as dog poo. And I simply cant stand how the 8500 Handles AF, So I have to uninstall it.

It's rather unfortunate. Because I woulda been better off buying another card and a TVwonder VE

B&R
10-15-03, 07:26 PM
Yeah 9600XT is prolly the best choice in a while.

As of rite now, i think u should go for 9600p. If u want high-end then two options:

1. 9800SE softmod it to 9800p.
2. 9800np bios flash it to 9800p.


To answer your original question: no.

Rogozhin
10-15-03, 07:33 PM
Hell yea.

rogo

S.I.N
10-15-03, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the great advise so far. I have to say you guys are kind of swaying me on the 9800 Pro. Wish I had spent a bit more time with my bros own a while back.

I think I might indeed sacrafice and get the 9800 Pro. But first, have any of you actually tried the 5900 and talking from experience? There is $100 difference between the cards and if I only get 6-10 fps from getting the 9800 Pro I would rather keep my $100 in my pocket and get the 5900 for $230.;)

That and his would be great consideration. All I am looking for is card that will run everything at 1280x1024 with all the settings maxed out in game with good frame rate. FSAA and ANSIO outside I really dont care for being that I dont use it and when I did it was not worth the performance lost.

Also, I only trust newegg, bestbuy and compusa for big purchases like this. Can you all recommend some other reliable venders you have tried yourself.:)

S.I.N
10-15-03, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by B&R
Yeah 9600XT is prolly the best choice in a while.

As of rite now, i think u should go for 9600p. If u want high-end then two options:

1. 9800SE softmod it to 9800p.
2. 9800np bios flash it to 9800p.


To answer your original question: no.

T4200 to 5900 no improvement? Wow really...If so is this from experience? If thats the case I might even hold off on getting the 9800 Pro.

B&R
10-15-03, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Sin
T4200 to 5900 no improvement? Wow really...If so is this from experience? If thats the case I might even hold off on getting the 9800 Pro.

WOW!! sorry for the confusion. It is definitely a improvement. I meant 5900 wont be the best replacement for u.

cthellis
10-16-03, 12:14 AM
Can you list any good info on the 9800SE soft-modding? I've been keeping my eye out for a 9800NP with Samsung RAM to flash, but non-Pro stocks have been drying up, and SE's are even cheaper now. I don't like their normal performance levels, but if they can be soft-modded easily, that makes ALL the difference! ^_^

Lfctony
10-16-03, 12:24 AM
The 9800SE has a 128bit bus, all soft modding does is unlock the other 4 pipelines on the chip, mem bandwidth will stay the same, the card will become a 9500Pro in terms of performance.

B&R
10-16-03, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by Lfctony
The 9800SE has a 128bit bus, all soft modding does is unlock the other 4 pipelines on the chip, mem bandwidth will stay the same, the card will become a 9500Pro in terms of performance.

and remember to get the rite model to softmod it. It is pretty simple but it is jus matter of finding the rite card. I myself am learning abt it. Thiis thread in Rage3D has good info in it. I would link it to you if the damn server was not down now.

If not i will make a thread in the NOn-Ati forum so check there soon.

Geforce4ti4200
10-16-03, 02:07 AM
I thought the 9800se came with either 256 bit ram and 4 pipelines or 128 bits and 8 pipelines. Thus if you mod a 9800se it becomes a 9800np then you can flash it to pro :) anyway why cant he enjoy games on a ti4200? he said he doesnt care for aa/af anyway. games run great on my ti4200, dont waste money now, wait till next year :)

B&R
10-16-03, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by Geforce4ti4200
games run great on my ti4200, dont waste money now, wait till next year :)

Not the ones that are coming out in next 2 or 3 months. Even thou ti4200 will be able to handle it, there wont be any "eye candy". If u really dont care for that either then waiting is the best option i guess.

-=DVS=-
10-16-03, 03:32 AM
I would not risk with softmods or bios flashes , lower end model tend to have slower ram and all.... better either wait for R420 / NV40 , or just get 9800Pro and enjoy it , In my Opinnion GF4 is good enough untill 2004 :p

Gator
10-16-03, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by Sin
...I would like to know if you all think if I upgraded to 5900 I would see a significant difference over the Ti4400? Both in image quality and speed...

Yes the GFFX5900 and R9700/R9800 are both better overall than the GF4 TI4400. They both have better image quality capability and speed overall. However, you'll notice in my profile I'm running an AMD Barton 2600, 1gig DDR3200, and a GF4 TI4400! This is no accident, truth is there is not enough on the game market right now to entice me to upgrade the GF4. The GF4 TI4400 is capable of handling every game currently available at 1024x768 and up, provided your not a big AA/AF enthusiast. Being that the GF4 TI cards are still a contender at this time because of a lack of DX9 games, I see no reason for you or I to upgrade yet. The longer you wait, the better the price you'll get on your future video upgrade ;)

When Doom3, Halo2, HL2, or other DX9 titles of interest come out, try them on the GF4 and see what happens, but those are the games that will probably entice you to upgrade finally. But with all the delays they're having, it just doesn't make sense to abandon the GF4TI yet.

Now as far as GFFX5900 vs R9700/R9800... I'd rather go the ATI route. They seem to have a better lineup, more speed, better image quality, better pricing, etc.