PDA

View Full Version : GeForce 4 Go 4200 on DELL 8500

brwct8
10-16-03, 12:29 PM
I cannot seam to load the Graphics driver onto this dell laptop. I had to create a dual boot and seperate partition with windows 98. The XP partition works fine, but on the 98 partition I got the driver files from Nvidia it appears to load until the very end when it states it cannot find a PCI ID. and then I end up right back to the 16 color display. Can anyone help me with this????

B&R
10-16-03, 12:55 PM
GeForce4 Ti4200 go.

saturnotaku
10-16-03, 01:39 PM
NVIDIA doesn't provide driver support for Laptop-specific PCI IDs. Those are drivers you need to get from Dell. However, Dell wouldn't have Windows 98 drivers as that OS is no longer supported by them.

I don't know if this will work in 98 or not, but what you can do is force-install reference drivers through device manager. Extract the downloaded driver to a folder on your system (done via a right-click in Winzip or WinRAR). Go into device manager, highlight the "Standard PCI VGA display adapter" and choose install driver. Choose to install the driver yourself and point the wizard to the folder where the .inf file is. It should bring up a list of a whole bunch of video cards, from Riva TNT and up. If your chip is AGP 8x, you'll want to select as the card "NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 w/AGP 8x." If not, just pick the standard GeForce4 Ti4200. Windows will bring up a warning message, ignore it and continue to install the drivers. Reboot and it should work. However, this is not a guaranteed procedure. If it doesn't work, Windows will boot to a completely black screen and you'll have to boot into Safe Mode to uninstall the drivers.

brwct8
10-16-03, 02:16 PM
To Saturnotaku:

Thank you very much for your help, it worked. My previous problems were as you mentioned with PCI ID. I had not tried choosing Geforce4 TI4200. Thanks again!!