PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone buy a 5950 today?


Pages : [1] 2

wimbet
10-17-03, 07:15 PM
Sorry if this was asked, but I looked around a little bit here and didn't see another thread.

muzz
10-17-03, 08:20 PM
I'm sure you are asking because you are interested in this.

Can I ask a serious question?

WHY are you interested?

wimbet
10-17-03, 08:27 PM
I'm just curious what a normal persons opinion is of the final shipping card. My last couple cards were ati and I know nvidia has been taking a bashing lately, but I have a very open mind. I'm trying to decide between that and a 9800xt.

muzz
10-17-03, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by wimbet
I'm just curious what a normal persons opinion is of the final shipping card. My last couple cards were ati and I know nvidia has been taking a bashing lately, but I have a very open mind. I'm trying to decide between that and a 9800xt.

That bashing is 150% earned........

cthellis
10-17-03, 09:32 PM
If you're hell-bent on spending that much on a card, I'd hit up the 9800XT right now. But if you're hell-bent on spending that much on a card, I would also recommend you wait and see what the Detonator 50's and other fallout shifts the environment into.

The Baron
10-17-03, 09:55 PM
I'd say, waitafrigginminute, you can't buy a 5950 yet.

-=DVS=-
10-17-03, 11:02 PM
I would not buy 5950 nor XT , better get cheapo 9600pro and wait for new lineup R400 :drooling: with 12 or was it 16 pipes :D

Have a feeling NV40 with only 8x1 config gonna suck....

TheTaz
10-17-03, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
I'd say, waitafrigginminute, you can't buy a 5950 yet.

HardOCP blurb:

CompUSA Goes Insane:
It seems that CompUSA already has the BFG Technologies GeForce FX5950 ( NV38 ) in house and ready to roll pending official announcement from NVIDIA. The sticker price? It looks like the GFFX 5950 will weigh in at $499.

Course... that "pending official announcement from NVIDIA" means it ain't on the counter yet. :D

Mebee he was addressing a CompUSA empolyee that snagged one from the back room? :D

Taz

GlowStick
10-17-03, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by TheTaz
HardOCP blurb:

CompUSA Goes Insane:
It seems that CompUSA already has the BFG Technologies GeForce FX5950 ( NV38 ) in house and ready to roll pending official announcement from NVIDIA. The sticker price? It looks like the GFFX 5950 will weigh in at $499.

Course... that "pending official announcement from NVIDIA" means it ain't on the counter yet. :D

Mebee he was addressing a CompUSA empolyee that snagged one from the back room? :D

Taz Makes sence, my friend snags music CD's and movies when they hit stores stock rooms (he acutally runs it though the computers, no steeling)

TheTaz
10-17-03, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by GlowStick
Makes sence, my friend snags music CD's and movies when they hit stores stock rooms (he acutally runs it though the computers, no steeling)

Wasn't trying to imply stealing.

I meant an employee that bought one before the public could. :)

Taz

GlowStick
10-17-03, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by TheTaz
Wasn't trying to imply stealing.

I meant an employee that bought one before the public could. :)

Taz aye i assumed that my self!

wimbet
10-18-03, 12:45 AM
Taz, they are on the shelf. Anyone could buy one, not just an employee.

B&R
10-18-03, 01:59 AM
Wow!! buy one. I am still waiting for a through review on it.:bleh:(did i miss it or sometin??)

Farenheit
10-18-03, 02:51 AM
Gotta watch the opinions here.. This is a hard core ati fanboy site. Anything good said, or somebody asking about if they should / should not buy and nvidia product, gets bashed, written off as a fanboy, or get's totally biased one way opinions here.

I say hold off, read all the reviews you can from various pages and make an informed decision based off what you learned. And DO NOT do NOT take the opinions of the mud slingers here.

Cheers!

sandeep
10-18-03, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by Farenheit
Gotta watch the opinions here.. This is a hard core ati fanboy site. Anything good said, or somebody asking about if they should / should not buy and nvidia product, gets bashed, written off as a fanboy, or get's totally biased one way opinions here.

I say hold off, read all the reviews you can from various pages and make an informed decision based off what you learned. And DO NOT do NOT take the opinions of the mud slingers here.

Cheers!

I'll back you up there....biased forum

Ady
10-18-03, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by sandeep
I'll back you up there....biased forum

I like to think its just a generally well educated forum. A nice place to hang out and learn things.

-=DVS=-
10-18-03, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by Ady
I like to think its just a generally well educated forum. A nice place to hang out and learn things.

calls him self GeForceFXUltraSuperDuper must be Nvidiot or troll kill kill
:bash: :flame: :fanboy:


:lol:

muzz
10-18-03, 08:14 AM
I personally see this site a little differently, and it has undergone a major metamorphesis over the last year or so.
The reasons for the change in attitude here correlate directly with the attitudes at NV and ATi.

Folks see ATi making solid products, and trying to give the user all he can for his $.
Then they see the other camp and their big marketing campaigns, sketchy reviews that they control,hacked drivers,lowered precisions, and unfullfilled promises......

I think it took awhile, but even alot of diehard NV folks have given their $ to the best product instead of being sheep and following the herd.

ATi fanboy site? I don't think so ( if ya want one of those go to Rage3d)........
Is this a site where folks like quality products, and will debate the good/bad of them? Absolutely.

I mean the name is NV News for cripes sake....... the news has been bad is all.

GlowStick
10-18-03, 08:37 AM
can someone confrim they are on store shelfs? maybe a camera phone pic or something?

Omg, i woudlnt buy anything* with out reading at least 2 or 3 reviews to make sure its what i want heh.

*big ticket items 200+

cthellis
10-18-03, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Farenheit
Gotta watch the opinions here.. This is a hard core ati fanboy site. Anything good said, or somebody asking about if they should / should not buy and nvidia product, gets bashed, written off as a fanboy, or get's totally biased one way opinions here.

Yes, I'm sure it has everything to do with ATi fanboys all spontaneously deciding to charge into an nVidia information site's forum, and nothing to do with their performance and business decisions for the past year. :rolleyes:

And all things considered, other than one comment having nothing to do with current hardware at all, there wasn't even a statement remotely indicating what you're complaining about.

Remember, folks, knee-jerk attacking goes both ways! Heh...

digitalwanderer
10-18-03, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Farenheit
Gotta watch the opinions here.. This is a hard core ati fanboy site. Anything good said, or somebody asking about if they should / should not buy and nvidia product, gets bashed, written off as a fanboy, or get's totally biased one way opinions here.

I say hold off, read all the reviews you can from various pages and make an informed decision based off what you learned. And DO NOT do NOT take the opinions of the mud slingers here.

Cheers!
Originally posted by sandeep
I'll back you up there....biased forum
Aw, thanks guys! That's kind of you to say, looks like my work here is done then. :cool:

euan
10-18-03, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by cthellis
Yes, I'm sure it has everything to do with ATi fanboys all spontaneously deciding to charge into an nVidia information site's forum, and nothing to do with their performance and business decisions for the past year. :rolleyes:

And all things considered, other than one comment having nothing to do with current hardware at all, there wasn't even a statement remotely indicating what you're complaining about.

Remember, folks, knee-jerk attacking goes both ways! Heh...

Hey the people were confused at the time, and needed their eyes opened. It's OK now. Happily, the end.... for now....

otheipion
10-18-03, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Farenheit
Gotta watch the opinions here.. This is a hard core ati fanboy site. Anything good said, or somebody asking about if they should / should not buy and nvidia product, gets bashed, written off as a fanboy, or get's totally biased one way opinions here.

I say hold off, read all the reviews you can from various pages and make an informed decision based off what you learned. And DO NOT do NOT take the opinions of the mud slingers here.

Cheers!
Curious post. This is an Nvidia site, not an ATI site. Most of the guys with a lot of posts here used to be hardcore Nvidia supporters. They had (and have) open minds and simply got behind the better product - which happens to be made by ATI. I'd wager that WHEN Nvidia returns to making decent hardware and software they'll be enthusiastic about the company again.

Farenheit
10-18-03, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by cthellis
Yes, I'm sure it has everything to do with ATi fanboys all spontaneously deciding to charge into an nVidia information site's forum, and nothing to do with their performance and business decisions for the past year. :rolleyes:

And all things considered, other than one comment having nothing to do with current hardware at all, there wasn't even a statement remotely indicating what you're complaining about.

Remember, folks, knee-jerk attacking goes both ways! Heh...


An overwhelming majority of the threads here support the notion this is an ati fanboy site now jeesh.

This site reminds me of baseball / football playoff's. You never ever saw people sanse only the hardcore wearing a cubs shirt / hat. But all of a sudden everywhere you go is "hard core" cubs fans that had been there since the start. (ya right) Posers, and band wagoners is the majority of what is "giving advice" here.

Not trolling, just speaking the truth. Now that you have been called out on it, you'll all most likely "rage" over this while you try and grip with the fact that i'm right, and a couple folks actually had agreed with it.

ATI is good product, but they have in the past (not very long ago) pulled quite a bit of the same crap Nvidia is trying to pull now (doctored drivers).. You all are bashing Nvidia and burning them at the stake and then worshiping a company that did the same things. Hypocrits. Both companies are now imho labeled as those you need to keep a close eye on and take all they say, and bandwagon fanboys with a grain of salt.

digitalwanderer
10-18-03, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Farenheit
An overwhelming majority of the threads here support the notion this is an ati fanboy site now jeesh.
....

Not trolling, just speaking the truth. Now that you have been called out on it, you'll all most likely "rage" over this while you try and grip with the fact that i'm right, and a couple folks actually had agreed with it.
I have yet to see even one thread that supports the notion that this is an "ati fanboy site now", care to prove me wrong?